Closed Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Reload Thread: What kind of system do i need

  1. #1
    ryan1235's Avatar
    ryan1235 is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    What kind of system do i need

    Hi, guys I want to put a nice system in a chevy astro van. I play in a metal band so i will be playing metal. I was thinking about putting speakers in all 4 corners in the back with some subs. What kind of system do you recommend for good quality but cheap as possible?

    thanks







  2. #2
    dustyshot's Avatar
    dustyshot is offline Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    salt lake city, UT
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What kind of system do i need

    Well, cheap = not as good. Like everyone says "You get what you pay for". Cheap is just means you pay the same amount eventually, because cheap goes out quicker. Lets say you bought a cheap subs and all went out at same time or not and you replace exactly same sub(s) it goes out again and the warranties even are worse. You end up going to pay in longer run the same as if you paid more the first time. Not saying pay your *** out for it. Just saying get something a little in middle of the line, then you should be a lot happier.

    Cheap shows that your not set well.

    Middle shows your doing something and have money saved.

    Top of the line shows you either Rich or you just spent you whole life savings for it. Watch out for this one, because if you have people seeing this nice stuff plan on being jacked hard.

    Brands to look for:

    JL Audio Top
    Rockford Fosgate Close to Top (Subs not so good as JL Audio)
    Alpine is from Low to Top
    Kicker
    Hertz

    Low end:
    Power Acoustic
    Sony Xplod except my Head Unit is cheap, but does real well. Had it almost two years now.
    Kenwood except their higher end stuff.
    Others I can't think of off hand.
    There are others and other posters will say what they are. This is just what I prefer, if you are a local audio store shopper.



    JVC KDR310 Stereo, Kenwood 5 1/4 Components with tweeters on doors,
    and rear Pioneer older version of 6X9's 5-ways(Blue),
    New Rockford Fosgate DVC 4 ohm Dual Punch 12" 500 Watt Loaded Enclosure,
    Power T500.1BD 500 Watt Mono Amplifier @ 1 ohm barely over 1/2 gain and no bass boost,
    Stinger Deadening on trunk lid 30 pounds, 100 amp inline fuse,
    Kinetik HC1400R under hood

  3. #3
    goingdef's Avatar
    goingdef is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norfolk VA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,834
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    864 Post(s)

    Re: What kind of system do i need

    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1235 View Post
    Hi, guys I want to put a nice system in a chevy astro van. I play in a metal band so i will be playing metal. I was thinking about putting speakers in all 4 corners in the back with some subs. What kind of system do you recommend for good quality but cheap as possible?

    thanks
    If you want something that sounds good DON'T put the high's in the back four corners of the car, you will want one good set of components "amped"(up front only) and a small/med. sub/amp in back and you will be set




  4. #4
    ryan1235's Avatar
    ryan1235 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What kind of system do i need

    Quote Originally Posted by goingdef View Post
    If you want something that sounds good DON'T put the high's in the back four corners of the car, you will want one good set of components "amped"(up front only) and a small/med. sub/amp in back and you will be set
    Well people are going to be riding in the back and i want them to hear it just as good as me? so what should I do?




  5. #5
    ryan1235's Avatar
    ryan1235 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What kind of system do i need

    Quote Originally Posted by goingdef View Post
    If you want something that sounds good DON'T put the high's in the back four corners of the car, you will want one good set of components "amped"(up front only) and a small/med. sub/amp in back and you will be set
    Never mind I reread it. i see what you mean




  6. #6
    ryan1235's Avatar
    ryan1235 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What kind of system do i need

    Is there somewhere where I can just buy everything together or do I need to buy it separate?




  7. #7
    hatedonmostly's Avatar
    hatedonmostly is offline throwin' hunnits, hunnits



    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Age
    23
    Posts
    6,382
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: What kind of system do i need

    Quote Originally Posted by dustyshot View Post
    Well, cheap = not as good. Like everyone says "You get what you pay for". Cheap is just means you pay the same amount eventually, because cheap goes out quicker. Lets say you bought a cheap subs and all went out at same time or not and you replace exactly same sub(s) it goes out again and the warranties even are worse. You end up going to pay in longer run the same as if you paid more the first time. Not saying pay your *** out for it. Just saying get something a little in middle of the line, then you should be a lot happier.

    Cheap shows that your not set well.

    Middle shows your doing something and have money saved.

    Top of the line shows you either Rich or you just spent you whole life savings for it. Watch out for this one, because if you have people seeing this nice stuff plan on being jacked hard.

    Brands to look for:

    JL Audio Top
    Rockford Fosgate Close to Top (Subs not so good as JL Audio)
    Alpine is from Low to Top
    Kicker
    Hertz

    Low end:
    Power Acoustic
    Sony Xplod except my Head Unit is cheap, but does real well. Had it almost two years now.
    Kenwood except their higher end stuff.
    Others I can't think of off hand.
    There are others and other posters will say what they are. This is just what I prefer, if you are a local audio store shopper.
    lawl





  8. #8
    *SlappinAzz*'s Avatar
    *SlappinAzz* is offline Shoot em



    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: What kind of system do i need

    you need a system that can hit 180 db




  9. #9
    blazeplacid's Avatar
    blazeplacid is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    DFW texas
    Posts
    3,866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

    Re: What kind of system do i need

    alpine type R all around, everyone here will ***** and moan but over all its the best bang for the buck without going with an online only brand (which is ok if you go that route)

    whats the over all budget?

    are you gonna run an amp to your mids?

    You will happier if you do. head unit vs 100 watts from an amp is a HUGE improvement

    budget and install skills are your limiting factors




    CDT ES comp
    Eclipse EA4200 amp on highs
    TC Sounds LMS-r 12"
    nine.1

  10. #10
    ryan1235's Avatar
    ryan1235 is offline Junior Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What kind of system do i need

    Quote Originally Posted by blazeplacid View Post
    alpine type R all around, everyone here will ***** and moan but over all its the best bang for the buck without going with an online only brand (which is ok if you go that route)

    whats the over all budget?

    are you gonna run an amp to your mids?

    You will happier if you do. head unit vs 100 watts from an amp is a HUGE improvement

    budget and install skills are your limiting factors
    Well my budget is probable 500 max and i can install it all by myself. i just need to know exactly what i need to make that van sound good.




  11. #11
    fasfocus00's Avatar
    fasfocus00 is offline doITdaWHITEwayORdoITtwice



    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    5,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)

    Re: What kind of system do i need

    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1235 View Post
    Well my budget is probable 500 max and i can install it all by myself. i just need to know exactly what i need to make that van sound good.
    at that budget, you're best bet is probably a decent 5 channel amp with a nice entry level 12" sub in a good ported box with a decent set of coaxials and than your amp kit price.



    Here is my feedback Thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ght=fasfocus00

    "If you ain't cheatin', You ain't trying"

Closed Thread

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum