Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Not a total noob but not a pro either...Need some questions answered please :)

Germ305 is offline Bannęd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Not a total noob but not a pro either...Need some questions answered please :)

I go by the name of GeRm and reside in miami fl...this will be my first post on this forum.

I currently have a 1999 ford explorer and have a Alpine MRP-M500 Amp pushing 500rms @2ohms into a 12 inch Alpine Type-R.

The Alpine woofer seems to be damaged (Woofer sounds like something is hitting on the cone when it resonates)This happened like 2 weeks ago....if i pull the gain back on the amp its either, No bump in the car,or if i crank the gain it hits but i hear the knocking noise. I have had a audio installer listen to it and he says my woofer is gone. so right now i have the gain on 75%...Bass boost on 0...and the LP on 80hz.

Now what i am thinking of getting is this
    Amazon.com: Kicker 07DC122 Dual Comp 12-Inch 2-Ohm Subwoofers In Vented Box: Automotive

Each speaker is rated at 150w rms...which in total is 300rms @2 ohms. If i run my amp at 500rms what are the chances of me blowing those subs?. I'm sure the gain plays a factor here

Also would those 2 kickers in that box hit harder than than one alpine type-r 12 in a sealed enclosure (given the alpine wasnt damaged)?...I don't want monstrous bass...but i want enough to maybe shake the trunk a bit.

I'd appreciate the knowledge and feedback

hispls is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1987 Post(s)

Re: Not a total noob but not a pro either...Need some questions answered please :)

Lurk the forum more.... You'll do much better staying away from best buy brands.

FurbiesAndBeans is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Not a total noob but not a pro either...Need some questions answered please :)

Why would u wanna name yourself germ lol

And research around, look at other threads and you'll get the idea that it's better to build your own box and get something other than mainstream brands

2009 Mazdaspeed 3
    Headunit - Stock
    Speakers - Stock
    Subwoofer - 10" RD Sonance Flatwound D2
    Subwoofer box - 1.25 cu ft tuned to 35hz
    Subwoofer amp - Absolute EVD-2200
    Wiring - 4ga KnuKonceptz

Imtjnotu is offline Me Gusta Edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1548 Post(s)

...i think u would do better with the type r...just feed it more power if not buy another one...there somewhat cheap in the spl sub world

IamDeMan is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I cannot help with your sub problem. Could be a few things. I am not familiar with the R but my first thought is lead slap.

Telling us how far you have the gain twisted really means nothing and is irrelevant. Research setting gains using a -3db test tone and a dmm.

To get louder you could simply make the proper vented enclosure for that R if/after you diagnose and repair.

Or I would move up to a 15 in a properly built enclosure over two 12s in a prefab.

If you do get those kicker comps, be careful trying to run them past spec. They are the budget line so I would not expect them to go too far beyond stated. That goes for most if not all brands entry level budget offerings.

sleazebagger is offline nobody!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    349 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IamDeMan View Post
    I cannot help with your sub problem. Could be a few things. I am not familiar with the R but my first thought is lead slap.

Telling us how far you have the gain twisted really means nothing and is irrelevant. Research setting gains using a -3db test tone and a dmm.

To get louder you could simply make the proper vented enclosure for that R if/after you diagnose and repair.

If you do get those kicker comps, be careful trying to run them past spec. They are the budget line so I would not expect them to go too far beyond stated. That goes for most if not all brands entry level budget offerings. Or I would move up to a 15 in a properly built enclosure over two 12s in a prefab.

Yep, that was what I had in my 99 explorer. 2 kicker comps in a prefab running them with a hk802sx. I had the gain set at 15% and they would still smell a little smokey after a long bump.

Go with one high end 15 in the right box and you'll be set with that explorer. There's some great deals around these days.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sleazebagger View Post
    Yep, that was what I had in my 99 explorer. 2 kicker comps in a prefab running them with a hk802sx. I had the gain set at 15% and they would still smell a little smokey after a long bump.

Go with one high end 15 in the right box and you'll be set with that explorer. There's some great deals around these days.

How many watts RMS did you run to those subs?

sleazebagger is offline nobody!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    349 Post(s)

couldn't say for sure but I'm guessing about 450. They were the 2008 kicker cvr comp 12's and I believe they were rated for 600 rms but I don't think they could handle a real 600rms.

They weren't bad for mid range gear but after I dropped the hcca 15's in, lets just say my expectations of good n loud bass were obliterated.

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IamDeMan View Post
    Sounds more like the t-joint came apart to me. But could be either.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

chardy85 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Germ305 View Post
    I go by the name of GeRm and reside in miami fl...this will be my first post on this forum.

I currently have a 1999 ford explorer and have a Alpine MRP-M500 Amp pushing 500rms @2ohms into a 12 inch Alpine Type-R.

The Alpine woofer seems to be damaged (Woofer sounds like something is hitting on the cone when it resonates)This happened like 2 weeks ago....if i pull the gain back on the amp its either, No bump in the car,or if i crank the gain it hits but i hear the knocking noise. I have had a audio installer listen to it and he says my woofer is gone. so right now i have the gain on 75%...Bass boost on 0...and the LP on 80hz.

I wouldn't think that you would need the gain @ 75% even if your HU is junk.

Refs: Zeuslicious, Havieri, TeamPSI, Amprepairman

Quote Originally Posted by DSMW View Post
    exceptions? this site has been run into the ground. exceptions dont get made, this is anarchy son.

Maxipads is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Get a DC level 3 15 and a get someone to build you a box... you will be more than happy with it
    /thread..

Bought From- Vitveet, Sicaudio, SnoopySnooper, xxxbasshead, fasfocus00, DCSoundLabs, MarcotheClepto, Gboo, Dbeez
    Traded- SnoopySnooper
    Car - 02 Honda S2000
    Headunit - Stock, currently looking to buy one
    Front Stage - Stock need some speakers
    Sub Stage - Not available (Have a Fully Loaded FI BL 18 FS)
    Sub Amp - AQ 2200d
    Box - No Subbsss yet
    Component Amp - WTB..

budahbuddy803 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I would put that 12" Type R in a ported box. Or get a new one and put it in a ported box. Tune low to retain somewhat of a flat response, but the port will give you some more bass. A 12" Type R should be able to handle 500rms easily, so be sure no matter what you get next set your gains correctly and once that is done do not mess with any more settings for the subwoofer.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

I understand you guys want me to look into other subwoofers and such.

So let me rephrase the question...

Im running 500 watts rms at 2 ohms...

what would be better one alpine type-r 12 (not damaged) at 500rms

or the 2 kickers in the box ?

also will running the 500rms at 2ohms blow those kickers?

Maxipads is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Germ305 View Post
    I understand you guys want me to look into other subwoofers and such.

So let me rephrase the question...

Im running 500 watts rms at 2 ohms...

what would be better one alpine type-r 12 (not damaged) at 500rms

or the 2 kickers in the box ?

also will running the 500rms at 2ohms blow those kickers?
    Just tell me how much your going to spend on those kickers?? and that prefab..

Bought From- Vitveet, Sicaudio, SnoopySnooper, xxxbasshead, fasfocus00, DCSoundLabs, MarcotheClepto, Gboo, Dbeez
    Traded- SnoopySnooper
    Car - 02 Honda S2000
    Headunit - Stock, currently looking to buy one
    Front Stage - Stock need some speakers
    Sub Stage - Not available (Have a Fully Loaded FI BL 18 FS)
    Sub Amp - AQ 2200d
    Box - No Subbsss yet
    Component Amp - WTB..

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)

$100...discounted frm kicker+free shipping.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List