Closed Thread

Reload Thread: how do figure out the rise of my box

tjjohnson91 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how do figure out the rise of my box

i have two memphis mojo 15's (orange M basket) 9.5 ft3 and my amp is a AP3000.1 i think they run at 82% efficent

groundpound4200 is offline Da fuq did I just read?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: how do figure out the rise of my box

you need a DMM and a AC amp clamp

2007 Honda Pilot 2008 Nissan Maxima
    2 RD D9s strapped @ 1 ohm Sundown SAZ-1500D V.3
    2 Sundown Nightshade V.2s 2 10" Atomic APX
    Sundown SAX-125.2 x 2 Sundown SAX-100.4
    Sundown NeoPro 6.5"s, JL ZR Tweets Sundown NeoPros

RIP Taylor aka NewAgeKing, you are missed!

kr15 is offline Polluting Residentials

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i think they run at 82% efficent
    that might be at 4ohm

Team Flex Issues
    45s out the trunk..lowww

REFS- Supergumby5000, Lastcall, 919motoring, hippishake, daboyfromdabx (great seller), beach22

CoilBurner is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

any links to cheap AC clamp meters on Ebay??

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Fluke.

Get one.

Qxxx4 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

$$$$

basebalz13 is offline D-money

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Invest in a good Clamp meter.

Team Cactus Sounds, Team SHOK elite, Team Second Skin, Team Mechman, Team XS power, Team Sundown

Team GroundShakaz (MECA team I started)

Quote Originally Posted by mayo_bryan View Post
    i saw david's work , impressed !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudman View Post
    And so were the judges!!!:lol: Sorry man, that was so insensitive of me!! I've been there before!!

nateberrier is offline ******

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

I have one of these babies and it works out pretty good. I think they make cheaper ones too.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

Refs: mrmakinmoves[SCAMMER] AKA ICHASEPAPER2010, skydeaner, fukinmovin, mossberg385t, grimreper912003, LBC99, Dbeez, Michaellane, thegreatestpenn, truckstoy, ge_off_me, btr, cupid6969, johnprdeye, jh8909, tylerj, UMWDawg92, nu2spl, zerosktr111, SPLAUDIO, $LICK CALIFA$, jfroghobo

http://www.execution-audio.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Almost completely plagiarized from our friends at Digital Designs:

How to Calculate Amp Power and Impedance

The Volt-meter/Multi-meter test leads should go directly to the channel (+ and -) to test.If you have a mono-block amp with two pair of outputs and both are being used, just pick a – and pick a + to poke your test leads into. Set your Volt-meter/Multi-meter to AC Voltage and turn on the Peak Voltage feature. If your meter has a Range Selection feature, set the range to display only one digit to the right of the decimal point. We are dealing with Volts rather than mVolts when testing amplifier output.

The Ammeter/Clamp-meter should be clamped around only the + speaker wire coming from the amplifier outputs. Set the clamp meter to AC Amperage. Turn on the Peak Hold feature. You do not use the test leads of your Ammeter/Clamp-meter in this process.

When you test your system for output power and impedance at one specific frequency, you must test using that single tone. I use the note I burp at. If you want to know your impedance curve and power curve, you must test using a list of tones from 70Hz down to 20Hz in 5Hz increments; i.e. 70Hz, 65Hz, 60Hz, etc. This gives you a great understanding of what power the amp is making and what impedance the amplifier is seeing at that specific frequency.

The easiest way to test is with a pal; one guy to operate the source unit and the other to verify that both readings were taken and que when to start and stop the test. If you want power and impedance numbers for a daily driving system, we suggest warming up the subs and amp to get readings congruent with how you actually play the system, SPL competitors might take readings with coils/amps at room temperature.

Now put both meters in place and set them correctly (as pictured and outlined previously), burp or roll up the volume at the head unit that is just under clipping indication on the amplifier (as relayed to you by your friend). The Voltage and Amperage numbers are simply multiplied together to get your Wattage. (P=VI or Power equals Voltage times Amperage).

To find out what impedance your amplifier is seeing, simply divide the Voltage by the Amperage. (R=V/I or Resistance = Voltage divided by Amperage). If you want to plot a power or impedance curve, repeat the previous test for each frequency, i.e. 70, 65, 60, 55, 50Hz etc. Most standard or manufacturer recommended enclosures will lend a pretty substantial rise to the average impedance of your subwoofers, which means that the amplifier will push significantly less power than what you might expect. This is what is known as "box rise".

The commonly used term 'Box Rise' is the sum of your subwoofer(s) impedance and the additional acoustic impedance presented by the enclosure and the vehicle. You may wire 4 subs to a 1.0 ohm load on your amplifier, play the system and find out that your “Box Rise” is actually 4.5 ohms. That 1000w amplifier is now pushing between 200w and 350w! That does not mean that your car is not loud-as-hell; you could be breaking crap off your neighbor’s wall.

An informative experiment would be to test your box as it sits and then push it against the back of the trunk or cargo area…maybe 1” from the port opening and test it again. Your numbers will come out way different due to changing acoustic load presented by the new location. Moving the enclosure around the interior can greatly affect the SQ and SPL of your system.

--My truck: 2006 GMC 1500 crew cab, Kenwood DNX570HD, DLS front stage, JL JX1000.1, JL dual 8w3v3 microsub enclosure, Second Skin deadening.

--Wife's car: 2013 Chevrolet Impala LTZ, Kenwood DNX470, GermanMAESTRO components on CT125.2, 2x AT10"s on an AT800.1, RF Deadskin deadening.

--Work truck: 2014 GMC 2500 crew cab, Kenwood DNX470, Kenwood front stage, DD M1A on a pair of American Bass XD10s.

ascitiesburn69 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Indeed^^

HU: Alpine 9887
    Subs: 4x SA10s
    Amp:Audioque 3500.1 at .5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Is box rise more of a theory, or is it practical in our applications? I know that some people rely on rise when sending many more watts to a sub than its rms..I assume that this is something that should really be done by people who have an in depth knowledge of this theory, and not noob's such as myself. I am sending 400-500rms more than my subs rms and it seems to handle it fine. I also have my gain fairly low and know that my sub can handle more than its rms...box rise or not tho, I wouldnt feel comfortable turning the gain any higher or using the bass boost. One of these days however, I will do this test and see exactly what Im sending

Team Flex Issues
    45s out the trunk..lowww

REFS- Supergumby5000, Lastcall, 919motoring, hippishake, daboyfromdabx (great seller), beach22

outsideshot23 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kr15 View Post
    Is box rise more of a theory, or is it practical in our applications? I know that some people rely on rise when sending many more watts to a sub than its rms..I assume that this is something that should really be done by people who have an in depth knowledge of this theory, and not noob's such as myself. I am sending 400-500rms more than my subs rms and it seems to handle it fine. I also have my gain fairly low and know that my sub can handle more than its rms...box rise or not tho, I wouldnt feel comfortable turning the gain any higher or using the bass boost. One of these days however, I will do this test and see exactly what Im sending
    definately not theory.. Its good for anyone to know even if your just a daily beater.othing wrong with beinfg more knowledgable about YOUR system.. could slaso give you good info on a new box build for the future

First hair trick... more to come -----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbfADio5CjQ

158.1@44hz usaci
    155.5 @44hz Usaci Streatbeat
    154.7@44hz MECA
    130.4@44hz MECA Driveby

Team XS power
    Team SecondSkin

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I wouldn't say it's useless to know, but for someone who isn't competing, I fail to see how knowing you have a 9 ohm impedance spike is going to change anything. Even if you're only getting 400W at a specific frequency, if the volume is loud enough, does it matter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I wouldn't say it's useless to know, but for someone who isn't competing, I fail to see how knowing you have a 9 ohm impedance spike is going to change anything. Even if you're only getting 400W at a specific frequency, if the volume is loud enough, does it matter?
    im not to concerned with it as I feel like my sub is hitting about as hard as it could without blowing..no need for me to want to try and eliminate rise...right now, rise is my friend...Sending roughly 1200rms at 1ohm to a sub rated at 750..if anything, im hoping for some rise

Team Flex Issues
    45s out the trunk..lowww

Closed Thread