Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Digital Design Subs.. Tune high or low - For daily..?

westman995 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Digital Design Subs.. Tune high or low - For daily..?

Everyone, well not everyone but it seems most people say to tune the DD subs higher, cuz thats what they were made for, for like 38hz or higher.. I tuned my first box for my 9515D to 37hz and then i lengthened the port and went down to like 34hz and liked it alot better. I was thinking of tuning my next one even lower. People were saying NOT to tune it that low.. I was thinking like 30hz or so, maybe 32hz.. What do you think? I thought mine at 34 was fine, and i heard of a few others tuning DD's low with no problems. Why would people say you shouldnt tune them that low anyways? Just the way theyre built? And what do people think will happen to them tuned low anyways?

I might end up having to tune higher anyways cuz i cant figure out a way to get a port in my area where im putting the box cuz if i do internal port it has to be a really long port and its going to eat up all my box space..

ahole-ic is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Digital Design Subs.. Tune high or low - For daily..?

Quote Originally Posted by westman995 View Post
    Everyone, well not everyone but it seems most people say to tune the DD subs higher, cuz thats what they were made for, for like 38hz or higher.. I tuned my first box for my 9515D to 37hz and then i lengthened the port and went down to like 34hz and liked it alot better. I was thinking of tuning my next one even lower. People were saying NOT to tune it that low.. I was thinking like 30hz or so, maybe 32hz.. What do you think? I thought mine at 34 was fine, and i heard of a few others tuning DD's low with no problems. Why would people say you shouldnt tune them that low anyways? Just the way theyre built? And what do people think will happen to them tuned low anyways?

I might end up having to tune higher anyways cuz i cant figure out a way to get a port in my area where im putting the box cuz if i do internal port it has to be a really long port and its going to eat up all my box space..
    DD's are fine tuned low if you want it that way. They have really stiff suspensions so they can play safely a little ways below box tuning, but you still lose output when you go below tuning, but it is MUCH more gradual than other subs. The bottom line is, if you really want that punchy really low bass with your DD subs, go ahead and tune low. You will lose a lot of the higher bass from 55-80hz and that means you probably won't meter well, but it sounds like that's not what you're going for. Also, DD subs usually have a higher FS than most other subs. Tuning below their FS usually doesn't get you any better low end extension because the sub simply can't reproduce those notes. If you REALLY want that deep low end extension, you might try a sub with a lower fs.

schackel is offline College Bound: Cal Poly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

my DD9512 is at 35 and i love it

$480 a year??? you're an idiot

westman995 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nope not really looking for numbers.. Going to stick with the subs i have right now, i ended up with two 9515D's however one ended up having coil rub and i never got to use it so i need to get that one reconed, so ive only gotten to use one so far and really want to put the pair in my car. I really liked the single 9515 but like i said i want both of them.

skmfkr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i had a aq hd3 back in like 06 tuned to 35hz and i love it. but ive never cared much for tuning lower than 35hz my current box is tuned to 40hz and i love it. i seem to like 35-40hz tuning

'08 Ford Escape XLT
    2 12" DC XL's + 2 RD D9s
    Selenium and Crescendo on AQ4X90

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

35Hz is the lowest I ever tune DD or AQ subs. they'll play loudly into the high 20Hz range with that tuning if the box specs are correct.

Tuning much lower then that will make the top end roll off rather quickly. 38Hz is the most common tuning I use for a daily set up...

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Tuning below their FS usually doesn't get you any better low end extension because the sub simply can't reproduce those notes. If you REALLY want that deep low end extension, you might try a sub with a lower fs.
    So I guess those people with 15Hz Sonotubes at home don't know what they're doing?

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You will lose a lot of the higher bass from 55-80hz and that means you probably won't meter well, but it sounds like that's not what you're going for.
    Other than an impedance spike @ 2x Fb, how is it filtering anything?

gunz4me2 is offline Bat Country

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I am running my DD 1508 in roughly 1 cubic foot net tuned 35 Hz. It plays deeper than my DD 1010 did in the same enclosure although my 1010 did play louder in the 50 to 80 Hz range. I do want to try my 1010 again in 1.5 cubic feet net tuned to 38 Hz to see if that makes a difference.

Goindef154 is offline Nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I have 4 1508's tuned at 35 and love them, the box is at the very bottom of the recommended size but they get loud as hell for only 1k watts and they shake the **** out of the cab when I want them too

Official Shok Dealer
    Car: 2001 Chevy Silverado LS
    Deck: Pioneer 750MP
    Subs: 2 Shok FLO-1k 10's
    Mids: Shok Components
    Amps: Shok II and Shok 100x4

Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/250172-goindef154.html

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    498 Post(s)

i did 2 3512es at 29 hz with a stetsom 2k6 at 1 ohm did a 141 at finals in laughlin problem was the voltage would drop to 8 volts and some of the lower notes under 33 hz would make the woofer pop

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    Other than an impedance spike @ 2x Fb, how is it filtering anything?
    lol it's not. This forum can't seem to understand that while tuning high does filter low notes due to cancellation from the port below tuning, tuning low doesn't reduce anything up top. I think they just hear the huge spike at 45hz that most cars have when you tune high as "upper end bass" and assume they are losing upper end at like 60-70 when they tune lower.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

Redlineaudio is offline The Glass is to Big

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We have went as low as 30 on a 9518, made the backglass of the truck look like it was waving at you. play with the port until you get what you like and go with it.

02 Quad Dak
    Cheap Flipout
    Phoenix Gold Ti2 6 1/2 front Memphis Pr 6 1/2 rear doors
    Phoenix Gold SL 10's Behind the rear seats
    Memphis Belle to power it all

Goindef154 is offline Nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redlineaudio View Post
    We have went as low as 30 on a 9518, made the backglass of the truck look like it was waving at you. play with the port until you get what you like and go with it.
    ^^^^ Exactly, it's all personal preference in the end. I've had my DD sub boxes tuned high at 40ish then lower at 34ish and I had things I liked about both but I just liked having them tuned at 34 better.

Official Shok Dealer
    Car: 2001 Chevy Silverado LS
    Deck: Pioneer 750MP
    Subs: 2 Shok FLO-1k 10's
    Mids: Shok Components
    Amps: Shok II and Shok 100x4

Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/250172-goindef154.html

Closed Thread