Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Ok, how do I not blow greater than $400 on a decent system?

sumone is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, how do I not blow greater than $400 on a decent system?

'cause it seems to me, that's what I've done so far.

summary of why I'm disappointed:

Just got my first car [used] about two weeks ago. Back speakers didn't sound; front ones sounded like crap [cardboard-ish bass]. Back speakers probably did work, they just weren't connected to the wires coming from the head unit - and I couldn't figure out how to connect them to the speakers by myself withsomething called quick-discconects. Bought new speakers for front and back. Front speakers endt up being the exact same ones that were already there, but went 20W higher - but in the end sound exactly the same. At least now I get some bass from the back ones, but they don't go low enough for me [in terms of freq. response]. Then bought a $100 head unit that had an aux input so I could connect my Rio Karma that has a dock with female RCA outs. So all together, I've spent about $400 for speakers, installation of speakers, head unit, head unit install, and parts. I bought all this stuff within a week of purchasing the car since I desperately needed music. But now I've done some reading and have been browsing different sites/forums like this one and think I have a better grasp on things.

I recently decided that I should get a sub to fill the low-end void but haven't yet.

But now, I think I want to completely re-upgrade.

What is currently in there is 2 front 4x6s, 2 back 6x9s, and a 50Wx4 head unit. It's adequate. But, being the somewhat-audiophile-ish person that I am, I need something that sounds better; not necessarily louder.

I listen to pretty much all music, but mainly [in descending order], rap,r&b,soul dusties,hip hop,jazz,classical, etc. I would like the system to go louder than how it is now, but I don't want to be heard down the block. I'd rather have a medium-loud decent sounding system than a loud OK system.

I know the next question has a million answers, but, according to my musical selections, need for quality with a full range of frequency response, and not super-loudness, what do you guys recommend? At minimum, I at least need a sub, or something that gives me better bass than the 6x9s.
    This time around, I'm gonna try and install some stuff myself [although I know next to nothing about what I'm doing] and save some money, and gain some experience. I guess what I'm looking for is a 4-speaker solution, a sub, a sub amp, and maybe an amp for the speakers. I'm on a <$700 budget

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Ok, how do I not blow greater than $400 on a decent system?

get a cheap sub, get a set of CDT CL61 and a 4 channel amp. should be enough.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

Bavarian3 is offline Ownz joo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paikiah
    get a cheap sub, get a set of CDT CL61 and a 4 channel amp. should be enough.
    yup, dont buy 6/9's they ****. use the front 2 channels for the components and rear 2 chanels bridged for the sub.

Upcoming SQ competition ready install...
    -Eclipse cd8053
    -Image Dynamics Cd1Pro MH
    -Image Dynamics 6.5" mids with CX motors and poly cone in custom fiberglass kick panels
    -12" Stereo Integrity Magnum in large sealed fiberglass wheel well enclosure.
    -Viper d1200.1 (sub), Viper 400.2 (mids), David Navone Amp-100 (horns)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What exactly does it mean to be bridged? Going off intuition, is it when the rear and sub share those two channels? Any disadvantages of bridging?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no, it's when you use the power of both the left and right channel collectively. It's usual for sub amps to be bridged for more power.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sumone
    What is currently in there is 2 front 4x6s, 2 back 6x9s, and a 50Wx4 head unit. It's adequate. But, being the somewhat-audiophile-ish person that I am, I need something that sounds better; not necessarily louder.
    Dunno what the configuration is here - 4X6's in the dash or doors?

The single biggest improvement you could make would be to have decent component speakers (5.25's or 6.5's) in your front doors. You'd get better midbass response as well as the clarity and volume you're looking for. Sound deaden the doors too, of course.

Add a sub later. As mentioned, you can run the front speakers off two channels of a 4-channel amp and use the other 2 for the sub.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maylar
    Dunno what the configuration is here - 4X6's in the dash or doors?

The single biggest improvement you could make would be to have decent component speakers (5.25's or 6.5's) in your front doors. You'd get better midbass response as well as the clarity and volume you're looking for. Sound deaden the doors too, of course.
    sorry I wasn't specific: I have 2000 Malibu where 4x6s fit in the door, and 6x9s in the back. NOt sure what you mean about "Sound deaden the doors" - are you saying that I _should_ sound deaden the doors or sound deadens the doors - sorry, I'm a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by maylar
    Add a sub later. As mentioned, you can run the front speakers off two channels of a 4-channel amp and use the other 2 for the sub.
    So are you saying that all I should have is component speakers in the front doors, and then a sub in the trunk? Nothing in the rear? What about the backseat passengers? Sorry if I'm not understanding right.

I just picked up a book called "Auto Audio" (Yoder) from the lib. It's copywritten '95 - but has a lot of useful info that I seriously need to read up on. Hopefully after I read that, I can come back with more worthy questions...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sound deadning.. (dunno if that's a real word) means to get yourself either a damping mat or a liquid based damping material to reduce vibrations on your doors, etc...

A lot of people choose to have speakers only in front (in concerts, you usually get music only from the front, not from the rear).

Screw your rear passengers, the car is for you. Actually, the rear occupants will still be able to hear your comps in front.

p.s. Maylar is someone you would listen to very carefully, he knows a whole lot...

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

for more info on sound dedining go to www.secondskinaudio.com
    for components go to www.cdtaudio.com
    and for subs it just depends on ur budget u have after u get everything else and if u want spl or sq or both.same with amps.

-capone

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay, so what you guys are suggesting is this:

component speakers: 2 tweeters + 2 midrange/midbass
    a sub, bridged
    an amp

so this means I need

2tweets*1chan_each+2mids*1chan_each+1sub*2chans
    or 6 channel amp?

Is this right? Each tweeter has a channel, each midrange has a channel, and the sub has two so that it can be bridged [pos. of 1 channel, with neg. of 2nd channel].

the head unit I have is pretty garbage compared to you guys, but the only reason I bought it was caused I needed an auxiliary input without having to get an input adapter and only be able to use the CD player _or_ the input. The other ones that did have aux inputs were expensive as hell [$300+] and I don't really need all those extra features. It has a 50W peak and 20W RMS x 4 output. It has 1 pair of preamp outputs (3V) that would go to the amp. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03066

To set this up, is this how it would go:

- put the midranges in the front doors, and the tweeters somewhere in the front dash? I'm not sure I get this cause when I go to the vehicle fit guide thing on best buy's site, there's no component speaker things that fit. Don't they have to fit? Cause my Malibu doesn't have any dash speakers - only front door, and rear deck.

- put a sub in the trunk.

ahh this is frustrating that I don't get this stuff and haven't even set foot in my car and tried to install anything yet!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How would all the connections go from the amp to speakers, if I was getting the CDT61 component set with 1 sub? How many channels would the amp need to be?

Is it not 6 channels? since there's 2 midrange/bass and 2 tweeters from the component set and 2 to bridge the sub? I went to best buy today and didn't see any amps that had more than 4 channels.

The stuff on cdt's site [cdtaudio.com] is hard to comprehend/follow for someone like me, so sorry for the newbish questions. Will the CDT61 set fit in a 2000 malibu, cause the malibu takes 4x6s in the door and you guys are talkin 5.25 and 6.5?
    Last edited by sumone; 12-30-2003 at 11:53 PM.

KiLLa0369 is offline Imports Rule!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you get a cross over with the componet set and the tweeters and midrange speakers feed off of that. Then you stil have 2 channels so you need a 4 channel (2 for sub and 2 for compnets). I think this is right but i am kinda new too

Gilliz is offline Habitual Tendencies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

4 channels

the CDT's hunger for more power than ur HU can provide, which is why u run those off the amp.( requires 2 channels)

"you get a cross over with the componet set and the tweeters and midrange speakers feed off of that"-killa

bridging the sub requires 2 channels as well

the CDT's are bigger than ur stock speakers......both in circumfrence and depth...before u buy....check if u have the required depth....

hth

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so the components only need two channels, and then the crossover splits each channel into 2 to equal 4 altogether? That makes sense.

Also, where do the tweeters go, if the 6.5/5.25s are in the door? They're supposed to be like ear level, right? but my car only has speaker spots in the front door and in the back behind the backseat.

Anyone know where I can get info on whether 6.5s or 5.25s will fit in the front door of a 2000 malibu [and perhaps other useful data I should know about my own car]? I don't have an owners manual so I resort to the web to find out stuff about it - but pretty much all I've managed to discover is that 4x6s go in the door and 6x9s in the back. This is my first car, so I know very little about cars, then in turn about car audio, so that's my excuse of me being a super-newbie.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Did some more research - I can only have 4" components in the front doors. I say this cause when I go to sounddomain.com and fill in 2k Chevy Malibu, the only thing that it says fit for is front door speakers - where all the component sets they list are 4". That then makes me want the "rear fill" [6.5s in the rear deck?], along with 1 sub. Would a 4channel amp still suffice?

Is it possible to bridge 1 sub over 2 channels, while those 2 channels still have speakers connected?

Like if I have 6.5s on rear left and rear right, can I still bridge a sub over those same two channels?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast