Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Beginner looking to build a new system in my '03 VW

My car is a 2003 VW GTI with the Monsoon factory speakers. The only thing aftermarket on the entire car is an Alpine CDA-105. I was told by a trusted guy that this is a good inexpensive deck for what I'm planning. I am happy with the functionality of this unit.

What I'm in the market for is two component speakers for the front doors and another set in the back (possibly even a coax set), four channel amp, a 10'' sub and a mono block.

The total budget for this project is approx. $1,500-$2,000.

My goal is to get a really well balanced with just excellent sound quality without braking the bank. I listen to all kinds of music, from local indie stuff, metal, hip hop, electronic, on and on. I want everything to sound balanced and clean w/o making EQ adjustments for every different genre. This annoys me when I drive my friend's cars. Yes, I want it to be loud, balanced and clear (within my budget, of course!)

The brands I've always liked in speakers is JL and Focal. I have also recently discovered a cool brand called Hertz/Audison. Their stuff sounds excellent.

As for the car, the doors have a 6 3/4'' opening and there is a mount for a tweeter. I am kind of set on a high-end 10'' sub in a sealed box. I don't want to do anything too custom here, just keep things simple to install because I will probably take the time to learn to do it myself. I realize this will be a major project just doing a basic install at my skill level (completely inexperienced).

Any suggestions on brands/models? I really prefer to do this without becoming too consumed over brands or custom configurations because I have a lot going on in my life right now. I know people can get so into this stuff that it kind of loses me.

This is the gear I'm thinking of getting, but it might be going over my budget once everything is finished. Maybe it's the wrong stuff or doesn't make sense? I don't know...

Speakers: JL Audio C5-650 (component in the front with a coaxial version on the rear)
    Speaker Amp: JL Audio Slash 300/4v2
    Sub: JL Audio 10W7 with custom box "built to exact spec" (ebay)
    Sub Amp: JL Audio Slash 500/1v2

Thanks so much in advance!

-Jake
    Last edited by JakeD; 09-12-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Closed Thread

User Tag List