Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: new guy with $1,000 needs help.

2Gemini is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

new guy with $1,000 needs help.

Hey everyone,

First thing, sorry for the long post. I've been visiting these boards for a few months trying to get some knowledge about car audio and it has been a big help. I'm looking to do my first "real" system. Back in my teens, I've done what most have...throw a few subs in the trunk and call it a day. Now, that I'm about to hit 30 (now i feel old) I'm looking for a well rounded system that sounds good up front and out back. I've read many threads but still need some specialized assistance. I'm hoping I could get some help from everyone and hopefully can return the favor to someone else in the future.

I'm looking for a SQ setup which will go into a 99 mustang which currently has the standard 4 speaker setup using 6x8s. The music I mostly listen to is alternative, rock, and classic rock. I have a budget of $1,000 I'm willing to part with over the course of the build. I would like to start with the HU and move my way back and finish with the sub(s). Needless to say I need much help with picking the equipment. Please keep in mind that I still consider myself new to the car audio scene.

So far, I'm looking at the Kenwood Excelon for the HU. For the speakers, I would like to get some components and was thinking of getting these Alpine SPR-17S. I'm not sure what amp to power these with or if there is a better route to take and i must admit that i am completely lost when it comes to the sub(s) and subwoofer amp. I would like to have the subs to hit very hard while maintaining the sound quality if it's possible and am limited on space.

I know this isn't very much of a start, but that's what I'm hoping you all could lend me a hand with. Thanks for your time and input.

EDIT: Here is my current installation that came with the car.
    HU is a Sony CDX-GT10w, Speakers: Stock 6x8s, Amp: Lighting audio , Subs: 2x Total Mobile Audios. No matter what I'm sure the new system will bump harder and give a cleaner sound, at least i hope so

modskwod is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: new guy with $1,000 needs help.

The kenwood you've chosen is pretty good, I've never had any problems with my kenwood excelon anyways. However, if you are going for SQ, I'd look into clarion or eclipse. For speakers, my choice would rainbow germaniums if you can afford them, or CDT if you can't. I'd say just put some good 6.5 comps in the front and forget the rear fill. For amps, Sundown, infinity, there's tons of others I'm too lazy to try and remember them. For subs, SSA ftw.

TurdFergueson2 is offline Team D.O.A.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Gemini View Post
    Hey everyone,

First thing, sorry for the long post. I've been visiting these boards for a few months trying to get some knowledge about car audio and it has been a big help. I'm looking to do my first "real" system. Back in my teens, I've done what most have...throw a few subs in the trunk and call it a day. Now, that I'm about to hit 30 (now i feel old) I'm looking for a well rounded system that sounds good up front and out back. I've read many threads but still need some specialized assistance. I'm hoping I could get some help from everyone and hopefully can return the favor to someone else in the future.

I'm looking for a SQ setup which will go into a 99 mustang which currently has the standard 4 speaker setup using 6x8s. The music I mostly listen to is alternative, rock, and classic rock. I have a budget of $1,000 I'm willing to part with over the course of the build. I would like to start with the HU and move my way back and finish with the sub(s). Needless to say I need much help with picking the equipment. Please keep in mind that I still consider myself new to the car audio scene.

So far, I'm looking at the Kenwood Excelon for the HU. For the speakers, I would like to get some components and was thinking of getting these Alpine SPR-17S. I'm not sure what amp to power these with or if there is a better route to take and i must admit that i am completely lost when it comes to the sub(s) and subwoofer amp. I would like to have the subs to hit very hard while maintaining the sound quality if it's possible and am limited on space.

I know this isn't very much of a start, but that's what I'm hoping you all could lend me a hand with. Thanks for your time and input.
    I see you're from Illinois. What city? As far as speakers and such, I would suggest hitting up a few shops and seeing what you like. You don't have to necessarily have to buy, but you can get a somewhat idea of what you like and don't like. You might go with a suggestion here and hate how it sounds when it's installed.

I would suggest starting with the HU first. Me I like Pioneer and Eclipse HU's, because of their high voltage preouts and tuning capabilities on the mid and higher end models. But for your budget, I would suggest maybe a 08 model Pioneer 800PRS. Those run in the 275-350 range but I like it for its ease of use and 16 band eq.

It's doable for a grand, but the front stage and wiring could eat that up pretty easily.

Sold to: Rc10Mike, Philpbak, pbnj123, WALKSUP, silvercookie, Sir Smoke Alot
    Bought from: Korn4life, chaunb3400, fasfocus, mlstrass, Bumpin Buick, wheeler8921, annarbor84

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron_B View Post
    I pulled into the trailer park at around 3 am bumping my sony xplod 12 on sony amp. **** SLAMS!!!!!! Anways, I pulled up and it got all the girls wet.....I guess im an uncle and a dad now
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron_B View Post
    Don't listen to all the haters, their shiz doesnt knock...EDIT: Ohh yea, and by the way....before you haters start mouthing, I got my SLAB from wall-mart....that ish doesnt bang it XPLODES. Yea..I run sony... Schoche -SP box with 4 inch PVC downfiring into pasenger wheel well. 5-6 inch streamers...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TurdFergueson2 View Post
    I see you're from Illinois. What city? As far as speakers and such, I would suggest hitting up a few shops and seeing what you like.
    It's a small town named Flora. It's about 6hrs south of Chicago or 2 1/2 south of Springfield. I live in a VERY rural area, so there are no audio shops locally unfortunately. One thing i would like in a HU is an aux in port (preferably in the back) and it must be single din.

pentavolvo is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im out in mt vernon for work actually not that far from you. IMO you have a decent headunit picked up. You have to decide if you want to do rear speakers or not. In my opinion they are a waste of money put that towards some nicer components for the front then run a solid 100wrms to ur speakers up front and it should sound great. Plan on sound deadening your doors also. I have a nice setup in my 05 Mustang but Im up in Decatur prly too far for you to drive up to take a listen to. Work keeps me busy now but I do install on the side and am always willing to help or teach.

IMO 1000 dollars is totally doable

dbeez is offline Supporting Vendor dbeez is a Supporting Member of the forum!

dbeez is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

yes excelons are nice decks look into some cdt compsi would also think of getting some adapter rings and doing a 6.5" comp set up front and a nice amp to push them and then lets move on to the substage..

2002 suburban
    Security System Code alarm
    Electrical Dc power sp270 7 deka 9A31's and lots of 1/0
    Headunit pioneer 880prs
    Amps 2 Sax125.2 front stage crossfire xs8k@.5
    Wiring lots of 1/0 stinger, tsunami
    Mids & Tweeters 2 sets cdt m6+ mids 2 sets cdt tw25 tweets
    Subs 2-18" nightshade v2's d2
    System DetailsDaily driver.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, I have it narrowed down between 2 different HUs. One is the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X693 and the other is a Clarion DXZ785USB. They both look nice but i'm starting to lean towards the clarion. Anyone have experience with these? Also, I want to go with 4 comp speakers for the front stage, since a lot of music i listen to (pink floyd, Queen, ect.) use 4 speaker effects during which there is little bass.

michaellane is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

so whats $1,000 got to do with it? you need to learn to explain more when you ask a question or the 09's will come in here and just flame you for no reason.

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/414807-michaellane-feedback-if-i-bought-you-traded-i-sold-you-something.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michaellane View Post
    so whats $1,000 got to do with it? you need to learn to explain more when you ask a question or the 09's will come in here and just flame you for no reason.
    explained in 1st post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

but what does the 1,000 have to do with it???? you want a radio and 4 speakers for that price? can you get either of the radios local or cheaper from a friendly hookup??? what kind of car? there may be some different items that are cheaper but would suit you very well if we knew a little more info...and are you saying you like music like pink floyd and with your new 4 speakers you want no bass?

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/414807-michaellane-feedback-if-i-bought-you-traded-i-sold-you-something.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From my 1st post:
    "I'm looking for a well rounded system that sounds good up front and out back.... I'm looking for a SQ setup which will go into a 99 mustang which currently has the standard 4 speaker setup using 6x8s. The music I mostly listen to is alternative, rock, and classic rock. I have a budget of $1,000 I'm willing to part with over the course of the build. I would like to start with the HU and move my way back and finish with the sub(s)."

hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

well $1,000 isnt much to work with to do a complete system much less a sq system. when you say sq do you mean SQ or just sounding a lot better than factory?

tigerf117 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Gemini View Post
    Ok, I have it narrowed down between 2 different HUs. One is the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X693 and the other is a Clarion DXZ785USB. They both look nice but i'm starting to lean towards the clarion. Anyone have experience with these? Also, I want to go with 4 comp speakers for the front stage, since a lot of music i listen to (pink floyd, Queen, ect.) use 4 speaker effects during which there is little bass.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, all CDs are stereo. SACDs utilized surround sound, but otherwise you won't miss anything with 2 speaker stereo setup.

I have a set of Type R components. Give'em enough power and they sound pretty good. Tweets are mellow enough for me as well, perform best on-axis. Figure for wiring easily 10% of your budget, but for all the little essentials it usually eats up a solid $150. Are you interested in deadening the doors? That could eat up another $200 no problem.

How "loud" do you want your front stage to be?

"Today young men on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one conciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.-"

"Think for yourself, question authority"

tRiGgEr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michaellane View Post
    but what does the 1,000 have to do with it???? you want a radio and 4 speakers for that price? can you get either of the radios local or cheaper from a friendly hookup??? what kind of car? there may be some different items that are cheaper but would suit you very well if we knew a little more info...and are you saying you like music like pink floyd and with your new 4 speakers you want no bass?
    Are you a fucking moron? read his first post...

Clarion Deck
    PG RSD's
    Clarion apx2181

As far as a sub...

Depends. Do you plan to run a simple sealed box? And I'm assuming you have a stock electrical system???

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobydoo View Post
    Before poking fun at others at least learn to spell. I won't go into all the gammar mistakes!
    Irony?

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Your sig... Im trying to figure out if you think he spelled grammar wrong. Because, he didn't. Irony indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerf117 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, all CDs are stereo. SACDs utilized surround sound, but otherwise you won't miss anything with 2 speaker stereo setup.

I have a set of Type R components. Give'em enough power and they sound pretty good. Tweets are mellow enough for me as well, perform best on-axis. Figure for wiring easily 10% of your budget, but for all the little essentials it usually eats up a solid $150. Are you interested in deadening the doors? That could eat up another $200 no problem.

How "loud" do you want your front stage to be?
    very good questions

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast