Closed Thread

Reload Thread: SQ Setups - EQ's, Crossovers, Line Drivers - what to do??

Mark_ab is offline The Alpha Male

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SQ Setups - EQ's, Crossovers, Line Drivers - what to do??

Hey everyone. I'm going to setup a, hopefully, good SQ system in my car. I'd rather not get a new HU since they're pricey. I was looking at a line driver to up the volts(instead of the stock 2v preouts that come with it) to eliminate the static. Now, I'm going to setup (probably - see my other post on setups) Perfect 6.1 in kicks with a Perfect Aluminum Tweet mounted around head level to increase stage height and lower the rainbow effect caused by kick panels. I'll be using a JBL P80.4 to power these, and possibly some speakers for the rear stage as well. Now, since the Perfects are component speakers, they have their own crossovers. Will I need an external crossover, or will the stock ones be sufficient? What about an Equalizer? These are parts I've not much knowledge in. What do all you pure SQ guys do to run your system with the correct frequencies per driver? Thanks for all the help/advice.

Is this not a reasonable place to park?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    C'mon, anyone?

BassiKLowZ is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well most SQ applications that i have seen dont use EQ's too much anymore. most people use signal processors. the stock x-overs should be sufficient, if they werent i wouldnt see the point in buying seperates and wasting the money on them. i havent played around with perfect components yet, but the Kappa Reference components did well on the x-overs that came with them. H.U.'s are pricy (for some) but is well worth the investment if you are a hardcore SQ fanatic. But it sounds more less like that just dont fit your budget right now. anyways

yes i would stay with the X -overs that come with the mids, they should do just fine
    Im not sure you need an EQ but i havent really dealt with them alot. You may the advice of someone who actually knows when you need a X-over. But if your just wanting more control over certain frequencies and what not. try looking into audio control equipment, they have a little something for everyone. hope this helps with anything. later

gltyrian is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    what do you refer to as "signal processor"?? ppls seem to refer that to xovers and eq's... theres also line drivers..but most of those come w/ line drivers already too? only other thing i can think of are things like audio control's bass restorer..

Sony CDX-7000, CDT HD-62 front, Kappa 60.2 rears, PPI PC4400 powered, ED12A.22 sub, Avionixx 800.2 powered, Dynmat Extreme trunk and front doors

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would love to do an SQ install and have put it on paper. I did incorporate a crossover.
    The crossover points would be used to replace the passive the comps come with and to bandpass speakers like the midbass,midrange so that there would be minimal if any overlap between them and the sub. A passive would seperate the 6 1/2 and tweet but nothing else( all they do is cut off the upper end for the mid and the low end from the tweet).

Mike

Your friendly neighborhood subaru freak!

bootleg is offline Got Adire?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would use a line-driver if you were doing a long stretch say back to your trunk or what not. I however am not going to because I don't need it for my small five foot run to the back wall. I'm going to invest in a Audiocontrol 2xs because I need to be able to apply a subsonic filter. As far as the sepperation of the mids and highs I would just leave them alone and play around with your enclosures.

'94 Dodge Ram Std. Cab Sport Red

100' Sound Deading
    1/0 Power & Ground

Adire Audio 12" Shiva
    Custom Sealed Fiber-glass Box

'03 Spring Install:
    Clarion DXZ635MP
    US Acoustics USX2100
    US Acoustics USX2080
    ID & Adire Front Stage
    Adire Audio 12" Shiva Mk. III

gltyrian is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    see.. my question to that would be...

what about the crossovers that come with your amp?? i know my ppi has crossover frequencies to separate your sub's freqs and ur comp sets'...

so like the way i have it now... theres line input to amp where it seps the bass and the rest... and then another amp to power the bass while passicve xovers that comes w/ the kappas sep the highs and mids...

and i would think most amps come w/ xovers also?? so wouldnt it be redundant? possibly even cutting off certain frequencies?

or is there like.. a whole another side where the xover somehow..enriches the music... or the amps xover are POS'es..?

Sony CDX-7000, CDT HD-62 front, Kappa 60.2 rears, PPI PC4400 powered, ED12A.22 sub, Avionixx 800.2 powered, Dynmat Extreme trunk and front doors

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    using the amps crossover is fine if 1) Your deck has 2 or more sets of RCA outs. 2) if your amp has a full range output 3) the amps settings are accurate..Which most are close but not as good as a seperate X/O.. I am going off personal experience so you may have the amp or amps that would prove me wrong.

Mike

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Talk about bringing back an oldie
    Why did you dig this up?

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh man! I didn't even look @ the date.

Mike

Closed Thread