Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Fuse question

TheJuggla1 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fuse question

Besides the amp fuses I, and assuming most people do, have fuses from the power to the amp, now my 4 channel amp blew my 30A fuse when I put in a new set of speakers, so the stereo shop told to add up all the fuses on the amp and I shouldn't have a fuse bigger than that between the battery and the amp is that correct? The amp has 2 30A fuses in it so I put a 60A fuse between the power supply and the amp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Fuse question

Yes Put It Right After The Battery, Like A Foot To 2 Ft After, No More Than That

TheJuggla1 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No I have a 150A fuse right after the battery, I'm talking about fuses from where the power splits to the amp, and that didn't answer my question on what size of fuse I should use.

rumblebee2 is offline I'm Higher Than You

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

think he means he has 2 amps

1. 4 channel amp

2. 1 mono amp

refs:blkmrideon22s,skrilla22,eatank,ampjunkielikem e,werd,snoopysnooper,team3d, 350zspl, finkster

Feedback Thread:
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383386

'05 Reg. Cab 1500
    H.U.- pioneer deh-6800mp
    Sub Amp- saz-1500d
    Sub- tc3k 12" Quad 1.4ohm
    Front Stage- pioneer garbage
    Front Amp-
    Wires- Knu Flex 1/0
    Rca's- Knu Krystal
    Fuse holder- kicker

Einzee is offline Service Professional

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fuses are installed to protect the wire. It is perfectly safe to install the highest rated fuse that your WIRE is rated for. Tell us the size of the wire and then someone here will be able to tell you what size fuse is appropriate.

Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes!

It is best to remain silent and be thought of as stupid, rather than opening your mouth and removing all possible doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Twistid View Post
    Try taking the positive wire from your battery and run it to the engine block, see if that should fix things...
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
    THE FUSE AT OR NEAR THE AMP PROTECTS THE AMP. WIRES DO NOT NEED "PROTECTING" WITH A FUSE SINCE THEY ARE NOT POWER PRODUCING DEVICES.
    Quote Originally Posted by shake this View Post
    Which one sounds better (short small diameter or long large diameter)?

PaulD is offline self-imposed ban

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

more misinformation ...............

the fuse at the battery is to protect the CAR (or more accurately, it's electrical system). The Fuse should be rated for what the alternator or battery can supply.

standard disclaimer: I know nothing ..... take my advice at your own peril

Quote Originally Posted by SRim23 View Post
    i think we're between boners at the moment

JeepBeats96JGC is offline Master Welder. IWELDSHYT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the fuse at the battery is to protect the CAR (or more accurately, it's electrical system). The Fuse should be rated for what the alternator or battery can supply.
    meh, this makes no sense.. the inline fuse is to protect the equipment at the other end. your fuse box is a bunch of in-line fuses rated for whatever your battery/alt is supplying power to. ideally you want your in-line fuse going to your amps to blow before the fuses in the amp itself. if the fuse was suppose to be rated for whatever the alt can supply every fuse in your fuse box would be the same size....

The Old Man Budget Install!!
    Never Pay Full Price
    HU - Pioneer Premier DEH-P700BT
    Front's - Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS
    Rear's - Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS
    Amplifier's - Pioneer Premier PRS-D4100F: 75x4 RMS @ 4ohm
    - Pioneer Premier PRS-D1200M: 1200x1 RMS @ 1ohm
    Sub. - (2) Pioneer Premier TS-W2502SPL (2ohm DVC)
    Wiring - KnuKonceptz: 2 runs of 4 gauge, Big 3: 1/0
    5.9L JGC H.O. Alt. -- 148.4 on music.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

#1 The main fuse is there to protect your battery. If a short occurs in the trunk and there is no fuse, there will be bright sparks and possibly a fire and your battery will almost certainly explode.

#2 To protect the wire from overload, (exceeding the capacity of the wire over a long period of time causing it to overheat) the rating of the fuse at the battery should not exceed the current carrying capacity of the wire that it is protecting.

It is best to remain silent and be thought of as stupid, rather than opening your mouth and removing all possible doubt!

Try taking the positive wire from your battery and run it to the engine block, see if that should fix things...
    THE FUSE AT OR NEAR THE AMP PROTECTS THE AMP. WIRES DO NOT NEED "PROTECTING" WITH A FUSE SINCE THEY ARE NOT POWER PRODUCING DEVICES.

PaulD is offline self-imposed ban

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Einzee View Post
    #1 The main fuse is there to protect your battery. If a short occurs in the trunk and there is no fuse, there will be bright sparks and possibly a fire and your battery will almost certainly explode.

THIS IS CORRECT, BASICALLY A RESTATING OF WHAT I SAID

#2 To protect the wire from overload, (exceeding the capacity of the wire over a long period of time causing it to overheat) the rating of the fuse at the battery should not exceed the current carrying capacity of the wire that it is protecting.

FAIL
    THE CURRENT CAPACITY OF EVEN A 4 GAUGE CABLE CAN BE ALMOST 200A (UNDER THE RIGHT CONDITIONS). THE FUSE AT OR NEAR THE AMP PROTECTS THE AMP. WIRES DO NOT NEED "PROTECTING" WITH A FUSE SINCE THEY ARE NOT POWER PRODUCING DEVICES.

If you don't know what you're talking about, PLEASE don't misinform other people

standard disclaimer: I know nothing ..... take my advice at your own peril

Quote Originally Posted by SRim23 View Post
    i think we're between boners at the moment

rumblebee2 is offline I'm Higher Than You

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

?

what if i have say a kinetic 2400 under the hood. would be a much bigger fuse than a hc1400 under the hood right? you shouldn't need a different size fuse just b/c you change batt.'s. i always thought say the amp has 2x 30a fuses you would use a 1x 60a fuse after the battery.

refs:blkmrideon22s,skrilla22,eatank,ampjunkielikem e,werd,snoopysnooper,team3d, 350zspl, finkster

Feedback Thread:
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383386

'05 Reg. Cab 1500
    H.U.- pioneer deh-6800mp
    Sub Amp- saz-1500d
    Sub- tc3k 12" Quad 1.4ohm
    Front Stage- pioneer garbage
    Front Amp-
    Wires- Knu Flex 1/0
    Rca's- Knu Krystal
    Fuse holder- kicker

thaster is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the fuse from battery to amp should be rated by the combined fuses of the amp............

so if you have 2x 30A fused amp, the battery should be fused at 60A

Acura Integra

HEADUNIT - Pioneer AVIC N2
    FRONTSTAGE - Crystal SSCS6 component system
    REAR - None
    FRONTSTAGE AMP - Diamond Audio d3 400.4
    SUBWOOFER - Image Dynamics IDQv3 12 inch
    SUBWOOFER AMP - Alpine PDX 1.600
    SUBWOOFER BOX - 1.9^3 @ 28 hz ported box designed by JBLCAMRY and built by BJ FISHER

Goindef154 is offline Nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Finally a good answer^^^^^. Just put a 60 or 80 amp inline fuse for the 4 channel and you'll be fine.

Official Shok Dealer
    Car: 2001 Chevy Silverado LS
    Deck: Pioneer 750MP
    Subs: 2 Shok FLO-1k 10's
    Mids: Shok Components
    Amps: Shok II and Shok 100x4

Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/250172-goindef154.html

JeepBeats96JGC is offline Master Welder. IWELDSHYT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

also, if you're using fused distribution the same thing applies, say you have a distribution block that is 1 in - 2 out, you want each 12v line out to be fuse for the total each amp is using. then after the battery add up the fuses in the distribution block and use that size fuse right after the battery.

example: 4 channel amp 60A; mono amp 40A-----distribution block = 1 60A & 1 40A-----@battery 100A.

The Old Man Budget Install!!
    Never Pay Full Price
    HU - Pioneer Premier DEH-P700BT
    Front's - Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS
    Rear's - Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS
    Amplifier's - Pioneer Premier PRS-D4100F: 75x4 RMS @ 4ohm
    - Pioneer Premier PRS-D1200M: 1200x1 RMS @ 1ohm
    Sub. - (2) Pioneer Premier TS-W2502SPL (2ohm DVC)
    Wiring - KnuKonceptz: 2 runs of 4 gauge, Big 3: 1/0
    5.9L JGC H.O. Alt. -- 148.4 on music.

dman4486 is offline Paid to Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fuses are installed to protect the wire. It is perfectly safe to install the highest rated fuse that your WIRE is rated for. Tell us the size of the wire and then someone here will be able to tell you what size fuse is appropriate.
    ^^THIS IS CORRECT

STFU you have no clue what you are talking about

YES

If you don't know what you're talking about, PLEASE don't misinform other people
    TAKE YOUR OWN ADVICE STFU

Quote Originally Posted by thaster View Post
    the fuse from battery to amp should be rated by the combined fuses of the amp............

so if you have 2x 30A fused amp, the battery should be fused at 60A
    This is a completely legitimate way of fusing as you will never exceed the amp's max current(as protected by the on board fuses)

Quote Originally Posted by JeepBeats96JGC View Post
    also, if you're using fused distribution the same thing applies, say you have a distribution block that is 1 in - 2 out, you want each 12v line out to be fuse for the total each amp is using. then after the battery add up the fuses in the distribution block and use that size fuse right after the battery.

example: 4 channel amp 60A; mono amp 40A-----distribution block = 1 60A & 1 40A-----@battery 100A.
    Fusing for the Wire gauge is easier...do you really expect half the people in this thread to be able to perform simple math?

Auto: 96 honda passport 3.2L v6 4X4 5sp
    Big 3 pics--THE MAV--THE RSD's--MY VLX
    Rices Creek Pics

Refs: Sold to; lilmaniac2, alexdbest2000, jshak07 Bought from; CJL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are really starting to embarrass yourself. The equipment has its own fuses or internal circuit protection (Im sure you have seen the lil light go from green to RED) The fuse next to the battery or even the fuse at the distro block doesnt give a fu(k about protecting equipment. Its sole purpose is to protect the wiring by not allowing enough current to pass thru the wire and melt the insulation.

Maybe if I pretend for a second that someone has installed a 1000W rms amp and only used #10AWG for a main power run. Nah, lets make this interesting.... TWO 1000W rms amps with the same #10 wire. Are you now going to tell me that there should be a 100+Ampere fuse at the battery to protect the amps? I seriously hope not because any current flowing thru wire creates heat.

The fuse at the battery is determined by the size of the power wire (in this scenario above, the correct size would be 30A for the #10 wire)

I WILL REPEAT MYSELF: It is perfectly safe to install the LARGEST rated fuse as long as it DOES NOT EXCEED the capacity of the wire.

STFU & GTFO

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast