Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

HU EQ or Amps EQ??? set-up question

I have a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X890 HU which has all the set-up bells & whistles including incl Bass center freq, Bass Q factor High pass & low pass filters for the sub, front & rear pre outs. Pretty cool. Except my amps have the same thing. I'm running a JL 450/4 and a 500/1. What do I use to set up and trim out the system. The HU or the amps?
    Last edited by ssleefl; 12-02-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Plutoman is offline <-- Yes, that's me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: HU EQ or Amps EQ??? set-up question

Set up the system based on the amplifiers - then, if needed, you can change settings on the go with the HU.

That's the route I'd take, at least.

ssleefl is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why wouldn't I run everything from my head unit and just turn the amp EQ's off. That way everything would be at my fingertips.

I am obviously thinking in error as you are the second person to tell me to use the amp EQ's. I just can't figure out why?

Could someone please explain.

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)

Yeah, I personally enjoy the little time to myself that I get when walking from the driver's seat to the trunk, in order to adjust my EQ settings. Its a time you can use organizing your thoughts, getting fresh air, exercising, writing your autobiography, dodging traffic, and best of all... I find the acoustics of my system are easiest to read and adjust while leaning over my rear bumper and ducking my head into the trunk. I dont know why anyone would want to set up their system any other way. So when you look at it that way, isn't the answer obvious?

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

energizedsbs is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Yeah, I personally enjoy the little time to myself that I get when walking from the driver's seat to the trunk, in order to adjust my EQ settings. Its a time you can use organizing your thoughts, getting fresh air, exercising, writing your autobiography, dodging traffic, and best of all... I find the acoustics of my system are easiest to read and adjust while leaning over my rear bumper and ducking my head into the trunk. I dont know why anyone would want to set up their system any other way. So when you look at it that way, isn't the answer obvious?

lol....

just give the dj a break
    where are they hiding...SEDONA

Plutoman is offline <-- Yes, that's me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ssleefl View Post
    Why wouldn't I run everything from my head unit and just turn the amp EQ's off. That way everything would be at my fingertips.

I am obviously thinking in error as you are the second person to tell me to use the amp EQ's. I just can't figure out why?

Could someone please explain.
    Oic. Well, I don't own the amps - I didn't know you could turn them off. If so, then do that. Much easier.

I was going off the assumption that it had the different settings for that and couldn't be disabled - as then you would want to set all those correctly, and then balance it off as needed on the HU.

eharri3 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Without having good off the top of the head knowledge of that equipment, my only opinion would be that the amps will give you a finer, more detailed control over some of that stuff, such as crossover settings and boost (if you use it) than the head unit will. And if you use boost it will give you better control over the exact amount of boost and which speakers get the boosted frequencies and which do not. If your amps are set right from the beginning than you probably won't need to mess with the head unit as much to get what you want.

So if you're going for the most precise tune possible to fit your needs start with the amp. If you just prefer to tune amps text book style, 80 HZ high pass/low pass, zero boost, and whatever the other common recommendations are, then do that and use the EQ to fine tune.

Personally, my boosts are zeroed out at the HU and Amp. I use the amp's crossover settings and turned them off at the HU, as I feel I get the up front mid-bass kick Im looking for without sacrificing undistorted volume at 70HZ. If I go to 80 I start to loose my sense of the drum attack coming from up front. If I go to 65 HZ or below my mids give in a little too early when I play anything with a real strong bass line. My Alpine CDA 9883 doesn't give me this flexibility. You have better filter adjustments at your head unit than mine though so you may find it more convenient to tweak those at the head unit. It really all depends on how good your head unit's adjustments are vs. your amps and exactly how precise of a starting point you're lookin for before you equalize.
    Last edited by eharri3; 12-04-2008 at 08:15 PM.

Re: whats some good components?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deathpenalty18
    Not an sq set up just want good sq speakers and tweets not interested in mids! And my sub is a fcking ia dp 18 with a memphis 4kw

Originally Posted by x1le
    mids ARE speakers.

A component set = pair of midwoofer's and a pair of tweeter's

and nobody cares what your sub is.

ssleefl is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

That's the f'in answer I was lookin' for.

THANKS!

Closed Thread

User Tag List