Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Forward or Rear Firing

GreenBook is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Forward or Rear Firing

I'm just wondering if it might be worth turning my box around to face forward.

Currently have 2 type r's in there rear firing in a 35hz box. The trunk is deadend with a fair amount of vb2. The box is big enough that there really isn't much space leftover around the top & sides of the box, maybe 2 inches at most per side. My seat folds tough so I was thinking if I turn the box around I might see more spl in the cab, I know i'll most likely loose some sq if I do it.

Please excuse this if it comes off as a dumb question, but I don't wanna go climbing around in my trunk with snow on the ground if it's not gonna make a difference.

DECKPioneer DEH-P6000UBAMPSKicker ZX1000.1; ZX350.4SUBS2 12" Type R'sHIGHSCadence CWM6'sPOWER160amp KnuKonceptz alt; 1/0 StreetWire

gunz4me is offline Goodbye!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Forward or Rear Firing

Rear fire, unless you plan on sealing up your cabin to deal with the forward firing subs. With rear fire, you usually benefit from cabin gain.

Then again, try it, and tell us how it goes! Generally, firing at the back seats results in some cancellation depending on if you have metal, plastic, etc. blocking the sound from coming through. In my old hooptie in the late 80s/early 90s, I fired directly through the upper portion of the rear seats and it sounded pretty good. Those seats were wire frame with foam so the sound passed through without issue. Also, my ports were directly under the 4x10 holes whether the box was facing forward or towards the rear. How's that for a box design?

Goodbye pudknockers.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

By sealing the cabin, do you mean deadening it? If so I might, but it's not on my to-do list right now. Focusing on getting rid of interior panel rattling right now. My dash is virating & smacking against the windshield, kinda annoying.

My seats are foam with what is probably a plywood backboard, so I don't think subs have too much trouble passing through them. I usually keep one of the seats folded down anyways unless theirs people back there because one of the holddown hooks is broke & makes vibration noise when in the up position.

DECKPioneer DEH-P6000UBAMPSKicker ZX1000.1; ZX350.4SUBS2 12" Type R'sHIGHSCadence CWM6'sPOWER160amp KnuKonceptz alt; 1/0 StreetWire

Jeremy M is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no, he means sealing it off from the rear of the cabin, in other words...kinda like maknig a wall so no back waves can go behind ur box nito the trunk...all waves move forward.

06' Acura MDX
    Pioneer F90bt
    JL Audio XR 653csi
    Alpine PDX 150.2
    JL Audio 13TW5
    Alpine PDX 1000.1
    ------------------
    2010 Mazdaspeed3
    Alpine CDA-9887 (w/ imprint)
    2 sets of ID OEM 6.5
    2 sets of ID XS-28
    PG Xenon x200.4
    1 Atomic 5000.1
    2 RD Alpha D2 15's
    Tons of deadner and wire!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I see, thanks for the explanation. I really wouldn't wanna do that though, guess I'll just leave well enough alone.

Closed Thread