Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Crossover point on speakers

efm80 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Crossover point on speakers

have been looking at the Morel Hybrid Ovation 6" components. I noticed the crossover pont for tweeter is 1800hz!!! Thats insanely low. I know the Focal K2P's I have also been looking at are 3800hz. My question is whats the advantage to the 1.8khz crossover point?? I would think its is a good thing by allowing more midrange frequencies to be produced by the tweeter. I would be installing them in stock locations in my 08 Accord which means tweets high up and mids low in the door. Would this low crossover point have advantages and better SQ than the focals 3.8khz cutoff?? Cant decide between the two and now with this new bit of info it might help make my decision. thanks!!

eddie

Ride- 2008 Honda Accord EX Sedan
    Source- Eclipse AVN 6620
    Front Stage- Infinity Perfect 6 1/2 Components
    Rear Stage-Infinity Kappa 6 1/2 3-way Coaxials
    Front/Rear Amp- JL HD 600/4
    SUB Stage- 2 JL 12W7
    Encolure- 2 cu. net each both tuned at 31hz
    SUB amps- 2 JL HD750/1
    Dynamat Extreme everywhere
    Electrical- Kinetik 1800 in front along with BIG 3
    .....I guess you could say I'm happy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Crossover point on speakers

Quote Originally Posted by efm80 View Post
    have been looking at the Morel Hybrid Ovation 6" components. I noticed the crossover pont for tweeter is 1800hz!!! Thats insanely low. I know the Focal K2P's I have also been looking at are 3800hz. My question is whats the advantage to the 1.8khz crossover point?? I would think its is a good thing by allowing more midrange frequencies to be produced by the tweeter. I would be installing them in stock locations in my 08 Accord which means tweets high up and mids low in the door. Would this low crossover point have advantages and better SQ than the focals 3.8khz cutoff?? Cant decide between the two and now with this new bit of info it might help make my decision. thanks!!

eddie
    I am considering the same Morels. From the reviews, it's stated that the tweeters have a very low resonant frequency.

I hate the idea of separating the mids from the highs by too much distance, but the fact that the Morels can play more vocals from the tweets should mean you can get away with the mids being stuck in your doors better.

It would also mean a lot more demand is placed on the tweets, and they'd be more likely to take damage from high inputs, or demanding eq changes.

They're not tiny tweeters, and are soft dome, so I'd expect Morel knows what they're doing.

The crossover in my home NHT super zeros (a small mini-monitor) is similarly low at 2.2k, for a 1 inch soft dome, and they're probably the best home monitors you'll find for SQ in the sub $1k range. They're even better than many speakers that cost 5 times that much.

/To sum it up, 1.8 isn't unreasonable for a large soft dome tweeter to x-over at.

efm80 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Crossover point on speakers

thanks bro...any other thoughts on this?? 1.8 khz crossover point good or bad??

Ride- 2008 Honda Accord EX Sedan
    Source- Eclipse AVN 6620
    Front Stage- Infinity Perfect 6 1/2 Components
    Rear Stage-Infinity Kappa 6 1/2 3-way Coaxials
    Front/Rear Amp- JL HD 600/4
    SUB Stage- 2 JL 12W7
    Encolure- 2 cu. net each both tuned at 31hz
    SUB amps- 2 JL HD750/1
    Dynamat Extreme everywhere
    Electrical- Kinetik 1800 in front along with BIG 3
    .....I guess you could say I'm happy

Closed Thread