Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: check this out, RF's take on alternator size needed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

check this out, RF's take on alternator size needed

check this out from the rockford fosgate website

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/ez2/f...bdAmps_MAN.pdf

if you read page 9, they have recommended alternator sizes for their power amps. for a 1500 rms amp, they only recommend a 100A alternator. this seemed weired to me so i contacted them and a person from RF told me indeed that those are recs for the car's one and only alternator and that if your stock alternator provides that amperage you should be fine.

i explained to him my understanding of (watts)/(volts)=amperage needed not to mention the amperage needed for the rest of the car. i've always been told that if i run a 1500 watt system i'd need a high output alternator, but i'm sure RF has electrical engineers that know what they are talking about. my guess is that they are taking into account the use of a a cap, but then again i've come to the understanding that a cap by no means can replace the need for a bigger alternator. i am sharing this information to get feedback from any of you who knows something about car audio and when a HO alt is needed.

i don't compete but i pound rap with lots of bass non stop. RF, bad general advice or good?

feedback please.

thank you
    Last edited by so n so chicago; 07-12-2003 at 07:03 PM.

head unit: Pioneer DEH-P7300

amps: RF punch 100a2
    HiFonics Brutus BX1500D

subs: 2 JL 12w6v2's

speakers: 4 factory on head unit
    2 rear RF 6.5 50 watts rms

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by so n so chicago
    check this out from the rockford fosgate website

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/ez2/f...bdAmps_MAN.pdf

if you read page 9, they have recommended alternator sizes for their power amps. for a 1500 rms amp, they only recommend a 100A alternator. this seemed weired to me so i contacted them and a person from RF told me indeed that those are recs for the car's one and only alternator and that if your stock alternator provides that amperage you should be fine.

i explained to him my understanding of (watts)/(volts)=amperage needed not to mention the amperage needed for the rest of the car. i've always been told that if i run a 1500 watt system i'd need a high output alternator, but i'm sure RF has electrical engineers that know what they are talking about. my guess is that they are taking into account the use of a a cap, but then again i've come to the understanding that a cap by no means can replace the need for a bigger alternator. i am sharing this information to get feedback from any of you who knows something about car audio and when a HO alt is needed.

i don't competer but i pound rap with lots of bass non stop. RF, bad general advice or good?

feedback please.

hank you
    my guess is thats for daily driving.....not competing....a ho is needed anytime your stock alt cannot deliver enough amperage for your amps ....

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Keep in mind that you aren't using all 1500 or so watts ALL of the time.

Personally, I would go with something a bit more than 100a...I would likely go around 160a. It never hurts.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Wonderbread is offline Against Avatar Theft

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ss3079
    Keep in mind that you aren't using all 1500 or so watts ALL of the time.

Personally, I would go with something a bit more than 100a...I would likely go around 160a. It never hurts.

- Steve
    also keep this in mind... a bigger alternator working at 50% capacity is goign to last longer than a smaller one working constantly at 90...

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com
    Add me if you have any questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Teal
    I woke up one morning and found a cop at my door telling me he found my car on fire in the middle of the desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerupper View Post
    Some people have told me that the chrome reflects sunlight, therefore the amp doesn't get as hot as others. Is this true?

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderbread
    also keep this in mind... a bigger alternator working at 50% capacity is goign to last longer than a smaller one working constantly at 90...
    Definetly true...

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

LoneRanger is offline Old Yamahas Give Me Wood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If rockford told you that they make the best car audio products around would you believe them?

Well, they do tell people that.....and no, they don't make anything that excites me or just about anyone who knows **** about car audio

You can run any amplifier off a 100 ampere alternator, but a high output amp is going to kill it if you listen to your system a lot at high-moderate volume. I've witnessed the smoking death of at least a dozen alts in both my and my friend's cars. If you want to go out every six months and buy a new OEM alternator, that's cool.....but I'd rather spend my money on a shiny new 200+ amp alternator that I know won't die no matter how hard I push it.

The secret to making car audio and electrical components last is pretty simple:

BUY STUFF THAT IS REALLY HARD TO BREAK.

If you think you're going to need 120 amps to run your amplifiers and keep the motor and power windows operational, get a 160amp alt just incase you want to upgrade later. As was said before, a 160amp alt working at 60% will last a lot longer than a 100amp alt working at full tilt.

If you have 600 watts RMS to supply to your subwoofer, buy a sub that will handle twice that. If you need an amp to power your subs, buy one that's twice as powerful as you need and run it at a higher impedence. Pushing stuff to it's limits time and time again is what causes **** to break.

"There is no 'I' in Tag Team"

Project 'rex: Coming Soon to An Eardrum Near You

boomsta is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: check this out, RF's take on alternator size needed

good call, cause i was told by PG that 130 amp alternator with caps will be fine. But the installer was on the phone and was liek twhat the hell are you talkign about, cause were running 3000 plus the amp for the highs. and they got into a discussion of efficiency ratings or something and at any rate they said try it and see what happens if the caps woint bakc it up then get a yellowtop and a switcher thingy. So i think your right they just dont want to cough up any extra parts. Or for you to say awe man screw that i gotta buy an alternator too. heres a question i just read about and thought of again so yay, i red in here someone was talking about putting in two alternators? is that possible and is it mopre effective or is that under the category of special engineering practices AKA jerry riggin. If so i hear that the higher wound that thing is the higher i have to rev my engine to repower the batteries. would it be better to get like a 170 amp 14volter as opposed to a 200 amp one. is it going to powerup the battery any faster or is it jsut a beefier one more capable of handling the task?

Thanks Guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

also do motorized decks take more juice to run than a standard deck (is that a dumb question? helli dont know). cause were also gonna have at least two tv's as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wow...
    only three and a half months worth of dust on this one... did you have to fight the crickets off with a stick?

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com
    I woke up one morning and found a cop at my door telling me he found my car on fire in the middle of the desert.
    Some people have told me that the chrome reflects sunlight, therefore the amp doesn't get as hot as others. Is this true?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well i figure its better to search than ask the same dumba ss question seventy three times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

touche...

yes, motorized screens will sucka bit more power, but not an awful lot more... nothing to really worry about...
    I'm a little confused as to what youa re asking in your first post tho... can you rephrase it and ask again and I'll do teh best I can to hel pyou out.

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

does a 200 amp alternator charge faster or is it just more robust.

can you hook up two alternators is there a benefit to doing this?

Dont you have to rev your engine up to a higher RPM for the alternators that are bigger to reach the stable point for a smaller alternator say mine at 130amps, wonti need to rev it up to get 130 out of the 200 and then rev it up even higher to attain the higher ammounts needed to push the amps?

I am confused i was looking at a site and they start talkign about it pushes this many amps at this RPM and it looked lkike the smaller alts need less RPM where as the big boys need lots of RPM to generate the power.

with 3000 watts RMS at 2 ohms and the other amp (just looked it up) will be running 125 x 4 at 4 ohms but theres 8 speakers (i dont know how ohms work so i dont know if its still gonna be at four or if that drops them to 2) so anyways
    will i need a big *** alternator for that. The amps are running 90% efficient (thas what i overheard it seemed to matter to those guys so i added it). Plus were getting a motorized head unit and a couple of TV's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

oh yeah and theres two caps as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boomsta
    does a 200 amp alternator charge faster or is it just more robust.
    it has the potential to produce more current. it will likely charge faster, and has a higher total output
    can you hook up two alternators is there a benefit to doing this?
    yes you can, and yes there is. what most people do is hook up a second high output alternator to their secondary batteries... basically, a dedicated alternator for the secondary batteries... only used in extreme situations. basically, you have doubled the power you can generate.
    Dont you have to rev your engine up to a higher RPM for the alternators that are bigger to reach the stable point for a smaller alternator say mine at 130amps, wonti need to rev it up to get 130 out of the 200 and then rev it up even higher to attain the higher ammounts needed to push the amps?
    I am confused i was looking at a site and they start talkign about it pushes this many amps at this RPM and it looked lkike the smaller alts need less RPM where as the big boys need lots of RPM to generate the power.
    the power has to come from somewhere, right? Alternators take teh mechanical energy provided by stealing power from teh engine to turn a turbine. this initial energy has to come from shewhere. energy is never created or destroyed, it is merely trasnferred or converted. to make more electrical energy, it has to have a higher initial source of mechanical power, generally speaking.
    with 3000 watts RMS at 2 ohms and the other amp (just looked it up) will be running 125 x 4 at 4 ohms but theres 8 speakers (i dont know how ohms work so i dont know if its still gonna be at four or if that drops them to 2) so anyways
    will i need a big *** alternator for that. The amps are running 90% efficient (thas what i overheard it seemed to matter to those guys so i added it). Plus were getting a motorized head unit and a couple of TV's.
    you will "need a big *** alternator". and likely a secondary battery or two. you are drawing a TON of current when you have everything going. something larger thana 200A alternator will likely be required and an extra battery or two couldn't hurt you.
    10 characters?

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks. I'll look into an additional alternator set up as that seems to be more the way were gonna be heading in the future. Have to see how hard that is to get done. Mani remember when stuff used to be easy amp and box and done.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast