Closed Thread

Reload Thread: how do some of you ppl like tweeters in the a-pillars/mirrior triangles?

Etac is offline Angry Bunny Killer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

how do some of you ppl like tweeters in the a-pillars/mirrior triangles?

since i redid my front stage, i just threw my tweeters in my mirrior triangles for now, since i already had the holes drilled from a previous install.. (they will be going back down to the kicks) but this is the third time i've put my tweeters up high, on three different setups.. and they always sound bad to me...

i could maybe understand with t/a and a good amount of tuning per side.. you could get it to work, but then it would only sound good to the driver, and retarded to the passenger... but without the proper tuning, the driver side tweeter just dominates the sound stage.. and even with adjusting balance ect.. still causes too many problems.. imo

i really dont know what this post is about lol, i just see so many people with their tweeters up high, and its just a suggestion that if you never tried the tweeters in the kicks... aimed towards the center/back of the car.. i highly suggest you at least try it.. cause like i said, this is the third time i've tried em up high first, and the third time they're going back to the kicks

Dont Buy From Or Sell To Dropped_Mazda

GlocksRock is offline Glock > You

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: how do some of you ppl like tweeters in the a-pillars/mirrior triangles?

I have had the tweets int he kicks when I had my trans am, but now in my Civic, they are in the sail panels, or what you call mirror triangles... I like the sound better with the tweets up high.

2002 Honda Civic EX
    Alpine CDA-9887 (Imprinted)
    Elemental Designs Nine.1
    Elemental Designs Nine.4 bridged
    Hertz HSK-165
    2 JL Audio 12W6V2-D4
    3 cubes @ 32.5 hz.
    Optima D51 Yellow Top
    Big 3

Refs: Bought from - lyttleviet, Erthshker, cf2004, Vitveet, Magz_rule, qcsfinest704, bholtmeier, cm2658

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)

Many people like putting their tweets so high because they want to keep their sound stage high. Id prefer my midrange to have the same stage height though.

Ideally you want to keep your midrange and tweeter as close together as possible (on-axis is ideal). Mounting the tweet in the a-pillar obviously discounts this necessity. That will hurt your imaging.

Also, some tweeters simply aren't designed for on-axis response, and mounting them so close to your head firing directly at you would cause them to perform poorly. The Adire Koda tweeters I have are a good example of this.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

James Bang is offline Hand/Ear Coordination

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm assuming you have limited processing?

If you have your tweets up high, it can help with your stage height, but you can also run into issues with reflections. I personally like my tweets, or any speaker, further away to get better path length differences.

As the tweets on the driver side is very close to you, you would need processing, or individual channel gain setting to attenuate that tweet to level balance w/ the passenger side. I believe the 9887 and 880/800prs has the ability to attenuate each channel via xover. Time alignment will help as well.

About it sounding weird for the passenger... who cares, unless you're competing w/ 2 seat judging.

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

A lot depends on the vehicle itself and the tweeters themselves. Some work great up high , some don't. It's all about trial and error

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

n2audio is offline OPTIDRIVEN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)

I went from dash to sails aimed at rearview -- ok either way personally.
    With them in the sails I have my passive x/o's set to -3dB on tweeter attenuation, plus I usually have the hu backed off a notch at 8-12khz.

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1163 Post(s)

We like them up high "if" we have the ability to tune them to sound good. TA, LR EQ, and independant level adjustments can make a big difference.

tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i started off with my tweeters in the kicks, then moved them up into the pillars.

i liked the extra stage height but knew right away things didn't sound right. i tried and tried and tried to gwt them to sound right in the pillars but it didn't work. i even ended up buying different tweeters to try in the same location and they still didn't sound right.

i then moved them back to the kicks and am much happier.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)

Like most have said, it's all about being able to individually adjust each speaker. There are many HU's that can do this, but I persoanlly prefer Eclipse units like the 8053/8443/8454/CD7100/CD7200/etc...they're just easier to use IMO, and the signal from the HU will NEVER distort(seriously, you can turn the HU up all the way and still have a perfectly smooth sine wave, unlike alpine and pioneer units where the HU begins to clip/distort at a certain level no matter what).

1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at [email protected]

MikeyB is offline CarAudio.com Addict

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im about to try mine up high for the first time in this car, luckily I have the processing to hopefully smooth things out.

I didnt mind them when I had them mid way down on my doors before, in a set of pods next to my mids. After getting the 9887 I was able to balance things out very well. However, theres no room in the kicks in my car for anything and the dash is in the way, so for this time around the furthest spot away is the pillars.

Refs- hessdawg, Pepsifiend69, iltoivfe, ownage9, lifted95blaze, Buckshot, da box king, Po.Sic, baseballer1100, vetkilr, dkguitarist, Queball, qtipextra, LaserRed38, 350_regal, RidnClean, BushJ311 and a bunch more...

mazzasec is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Here is where mine are. Overall not to bad. Sometimes they can be a little harsh on the ears but when the bass is up it usually doesnt sound as harsh.

Closed Thread

User Tag List