Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Reload Thread: Liquid sound deadener?!?!?!

FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Liquid sound deadener?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Second Skin Rep View Post
    cryogenicly manipulated polymer that maintains it elastomeric values at any temperature..
    Do you think it will outperform DP per area thickness, then? I mean, if you can make a VE damping product that doesn't **** in the cold, that's pretty sweet. Many complain of heat, but my car ***** in the winter. So depressing. And thanks for the offer.

Anthony Collova is offline Supporting Vendor Anthony Collova is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Anthony Collova is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tommyk90 View Post
    Why don't you send out a sample gallon to me?

I took down my headliner last night and discovered that good portion of my second skin had finally come down.

Though I had the ORIGINAL second skin that I believe was asphalt based. I would love to get my hands on some of the new stuff but don't have the funds right now. The new stuff seems much more impressive.
    Wow
    you must have bought that stuff years ago!
    The first version of Damplifier was asphalt. This is the stuff we used to sell for about $1 psf and offer forum member discounts on. Same stuff Fatmat, Raammat, and b-quiet used to be back when we all sold asphalt mats. Ours was thicker but it all came from the same place..

We stopped selling asphalt 3 or 4 years ago I think. To many returns, not enough performance. Too thin of foil, Smelled foul and turned out to have toxins.
    Send me a PM. I will take care of you

ANT

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener

3. Likes TheUnderFighter liked this post
    Anthony Collova is offline Supporting Vendor Anthony Collova is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Anthony Collova is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post
    Do you think it will outperform DP per area thickness, then? I mean, if you can make a VE damping product that doesn't **** in the cold, that's pretty sweet. Many complain of heat, but my car ***** in the winter. So depressing. And thanks for the offer.
    I think that if you want similar results from the Spectrum you will need to apply it about 20% thicker than the Damplifier Pro.
    No foil and different viscosity and elongation means different elastomeric value and different range of frequencies will be treated.

In car audio applications it is not nearly as important as.. lets say.. someone trying to quiet down a street rod from loud exhaust noise and tire noise. That requires more attention to detail with repsect to which product you use, how much, and the location it goes in the car.
    In car audio application the main goal is simply to kill the audible vibrations keep the energy in the car. Mostly.
    This is pretty easy to do, The range of musical frequensies effecting the sheet metal is pretty limited. 10 hz -1000 maybe..

Weather you use Damplifier Pro or Spectrum, you will certainly address those resonating frequencies. How much of them you address depends on a few things.

-Elastomeric value (effected greatly by temperature)
    -Energy conversion- part foil thickness/strength, part adhesive considerations
    -Total Weight - not as important but a good guage for value

Temperature is somthing many people do not take in to consideration as well.
    The more stable we can keep the adhesive the wider the damping curve gets.
    Here is an example.
    Load up your car with a CLVED
    park it in the sun for 4 hours
    turn up the volume and burp your best test tone
    Mark your score

Then par the car in an airconditioned garage for 4 hours
    turn up the volume and burp your best test tone
    Mark your score

Mostly likely you will hit higher numbers with the cooler car.
    Elastomers get soft when they heat up. This changed the curve and thows everything off.

The more stable we can keep the product over a wider range of termperatures, the most consitant our damping results will be at different temperatures.

so in closing...
    Don't punch babies..

ANT
    www.secondskinaudio.com

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener

5. Likes TheUnderFighter liked this post
    zchmiel is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hey ant i have read a lot of your stuff on different posts on here, ive read numerous sound deadening ones on here with your comments, and i think foxpro5's comments also....or at least that guy had the same avatar. You guys really seam to know what you are talking about. Ok well anyways let me tell you a little about what i have done already:

Ok i usead edead along the entire car, floor, doors, ect....everywhere, also i did multiple layers on the doors and the rear wheel wells and a few more spots here and there(i think trunk also). And recently i bought some neoporene(3/8")(sp?) to do the doors and the rear wheel wells.

I just finished my doors yesterday and am satisfied but overall there is still a lot of work to do, when i did the doors i did multiple layers of edead on the outer skin, then i used 1 layer of neoporene on the outside skin, then i used metal mesh to cover up the holes and used self taping screwed to secure to the door. Then i sealed it off with the edead, about 2 layers, 1 layer in some areas. Then i added 1 layer of neoporene where it would fit without obstructing the door from closing. Then i made a baffle for my mids and used liquid nails to secure it to the panel(which was covered with edead) and screwed it in, then mounted the speaker.

Ok well anyways thats what i have done and im prob not going back to do anything on the doors since it was a pain in the *** and its gonna be even more of a pain in the *** to go back and take that crap off in order to try to improve it a little...anyways here are the Future plans:

Ok im going to probably buy some sludge to put in some areas that i couldnt reach with the mat, then probably do 3mm thick of spectrum on the metal panels above the plastic wheel wells(sorry dont know there name). Then im going to probably add mattt to the plastic splash guards and thats about it for that area.

Then i plan on adding 1 layer of neoporene on the wheel wells in the back, and then top it off with 1 layer of luxury liner also. Then im going to add 1 layer of neoporene and 1 layer of luxury liner to some misc areas such as underneath the back seats and a few other areas where it will fit.

Ok well thats about it, what do you think and what else can i do to make it even quieter?

P.S. I have a scion tc and this ***** is very loud.....focusing on getting rid of the road noise primarily and not worried too much about rattle....just want to be able to drive and not have to turn down the music and slow down my car just to be able to hear the person. Thanks alot.

Seabass

FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which version of eDead is it? All versions seem to have some issues with it peeling back up, inconsistency with adhesion, or just falling off. Rudeboy has a lot of info on it on DIYMA.

If you go with a liquid, then you understand that it's only as good as the deadener you used first.

If your goal is combat road noise, then the next step is a barrier. You can make your own for not much money (but this takes time, patience and understanding) or you can buy a number of barrier composites that are ready to go. If you plan on Luxery Liner, then that's what you want....even though LLP is superior in a few ways to the original.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sorry, i meant luxury liner pro...my bad

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)