Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Speakers stopped working after 3 hours of use?

RoachForLife is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Speakers stopped working after 3 hours of use?

Speakers were running just fine Sunday when I put everything together. Set of PG RSD6.5 comps and an Alpine PDX 4.100 amp. On the way to work yesterday I noticed my driverside went out but I heard some buzzing like it was a bad connection. I then wiggled the wire from amp to the crossover and bam, sound. So I got a new wire and ran it this morning. So it was good for about 30seconds and then it went out again.

Same with the pass. side this morning as well. I have both my tweeter and mid in the door and the crossover is in the trunk so the long wire is from the mid and tweeter to the crossover (rather than having the crossover in the door). I dont think this makes an issue but any ideas why the sound is not coming out?

Should I mess with the filter? crossover? gain?

Also to note, I dont think the speakers are bad since BOTH the mid and tweeter stop playing. If anything seems like my crossover units are dead.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Speakers stopped working after 3 hours of use?

I called Alpine and they told me to get a multimeter and check some things so I did. I must note I **** at car audio but I really **** with electrical ****. What that said I think I did this right but who knows.

So I checked my sub RCAs as they are def working. I set my multimeter to 200m on the V side and got 1.7 - 2.0 pretty constant. Alpine said it should be close to 2 as my headunit is 2V, so I felt good. I did the same to the cabin speakers RCA and it also showed approx 2V so I think its coming out of the headunit just fine.

I then tested the amp where the speaker wires go. The alpine uses quick disconnects so I left the speaker wire and disconnect in channel 1 and then put the pos into speaker pos and neg to speaker neg. Tjhe number oscilated from -10 to 100. (May have needed to be on a diff measurement). I took the fact it had a number as a good sign.

Last, I did the same on the input of the crossover. pos on meter to pos input on crossover and same for neg. I get a reading of 0. So what does this mean, my crossover is shot? Or that my amp is bad? Both of these are brand new mind you. (not saying its not possible for them to be bad). It does seem VERY ODD for both crossover units to go back right away. And as I mentioned above the speakers WERE working for about an hour or two before this happened.

One other thing to note, when I had the 2 probes in the disconnect thing on the amp I could literally hear the speaker popping as I stuck the probes in. This makes me thing the connection is bad. But these disconnects are pretty fool proof. (Yes I tried both ways when inserting, although confirmed POS goes on the top when I called Alpine).

lvjeffro is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

:/ Anxious to get this working...

Closed Thread