Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39

Reload Thread: advice for 8's in doors...

  1. #16
    req's Avatar
    req
    req is offline am a mod.



    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Age
    29
    Posts
    15,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    wat is the PURPOSE of this.


    a subwoofer or a midbass?







  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Inland Empire
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,839
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    Quote Originally Posted by dragnix View Post
    try it bitch, i'll fucking kill you
    i used to fvck guys like u in prison




  3. #18
    Etac's Avatar
    Etac is offline Angry Bunny Killer

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    and i love my setup i have now.. it sounds great.. the problem is where my stock speakers ar located.. they point straight at my ankles.. and are kinda boxed in... which make their dispersion even worse... my tweets are in my kicks pointed towards the back (angled slightly) and they sound awsome.. (i play on keeping them for my 3 way setup) so it just doesnt blend right.... the tweets feel like they're playing around me.. the mids feel like they playing in front of me.. facing eachother (which they are).. if i point the tweets int eh same direction as the mids.. it feels like the whole setup is playing in front of me (but not towards me)

    on top of that, the thing that limits me the most is my speakers bottom out.. they take a pounding for what they are.... but if im gonna add an 8, this hsould allow me to cross my mids (which i probaly will replace) higher which should clean up their sound.. and allow them to play a little louder..

    now if i replace my mids i also have 2 options... and one i know you ppl ppl might think is far fetched.. i was interested in these dayton 2 inch mids (from pe) that seemed to have a nice response.. they would fit perfectly next to my tweets in my kicks.. but the problem is they only play down to 700 or so and im afraid if i buy a 8 that plays too low than im gonna have a gap between say 200-700... now to fix that gap i can actually also fit a 5-6 under my dash in a decent spot (and sealed up) but i dont know what peoples opionions are on a 4 way setup (lol) and seems rather excessive

    this whole setup wont be done for awhile... but this time i wanna just have something that i wont wanna replace for a long time. and dont worry about tuning and all that.. i know what im getting myself into



    Dont Buy From Or Sell To Dropped_Mazda

  4. #19
    dragnix's Avatar
    dragnix is offline LXIX



    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Socal cuz i'm So cool
    Posts
    19,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    655 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post
    Ok, round two. What's plenty? It's too relative.

    What does Ensolite do? At what thickness?

    Acousitical foam? Open cell? How much? Where?

    Moderately ok advice which needs A LOT of qualification, I'd say. Yea, I've done it all and have used my share of 8's in my doors.
    just tell us how to do it right and stop asking so many questions
    Quote Originally Posted by tc3k101 View Post
    i used to fvck guys like u in prison
    that's because you like to fuck guys




  5. #20
    FoxPro5's Avatar
    FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer



    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    3 octaves higher
    Posts
    5,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    Quote Originally Posted by Etac View Post
    my main concern is i dont want something that will bottom out before my 6.5's do (crossed at like 80)... thats whats limiting me the most with the speakers i got now.. i would like to have the 8's crossed low as possible (at least 60) and be able to play 60-200(350+ preferably) cleanly but not bottom out with 100 watts (of real power)
    You CAN run a 8" midbass driver down to 40hz with 500+watts, real world. The issue is what that driver is attached to (ie how you've optimized the install to allow it to do so) and how well you can tune the entire system as a whole.

    8" subs in your doors is not cool. Plan ahead intelligently, IMHO.




  6. #21
    WrenchGuy's Avatar
    WrenchGuy is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    East Tawas, MI
    Posts
    2,023
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post
    Ok, round two. What's plenty? It's too relative.

    What does Ensolite do? At what thickness?

    Acousitical foam? Open cell? How much? Where?

    Moderately ok advice which needs A LOT of qualification, I'd say. Yea, I've done it all and have used my share of 8's in my doors.
    I was being brief in a way to push a search.

    At least 2 layers on the outer skin, maybe 1-2 on the inner skin. Ensolite( commonly 1/4") between the panel and door can't hurt. Some closed cell foam to add some dampening and the other properties it has that I'm not professional on.

    I should include a nice solid mounting baffle would be nice too.




  7. #22
    FoxPro5's Avatar
    FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer



    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    3 octaves higher
    Posts
    5,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    Quote Originally Posted by Etac View Post
    and i love my setup i have now.. it sounds great.. the problem is where my stock speakers ar located.. they point straight at my ankles.. and are kinda boxed in... which make their dispersion even worse... my tweets are in my kicks pointed towards the back (angled slightly) and they sound awsome.. (i play on keeping them for my 3 way setup) so it just doesnt blend right.... the tweets feel like they're playing around me.. the mids feel like they playing in front of me.. facing eachother (which they are).. if i point the tweets int eh same direction as the mids.. it feels like the whole setup is playing in front of me (but not towards me)
    I don't see anyone arguing with you on that.

    Maybe you can get someone near you who has experience tuning cars to help you before you take on a new project?




  8. #23
    Etac's Avatar
    Etac is offline Angry Bunny Killer

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post
    You CAN run a 8" midbass driver down to 40hz with 500+watts, real world. The issue is what that driver is attached to (ie how you've optimized the install to allow it to do so) and how well you can tune the entire system as a whole.

    8" subs in your doors is not cool. Plan ahead intelligently, IMHO.
    i understand which is why im here



    Dont Buy From Or Sell To Dropped_Mazda

  9. #24
    the727kid's Avatar
    the727kid is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    St. Pete, FL
    Posts
    2,941
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    Peerless FTW...

    My boy does has some brand new Seas 8s for sale though for a decent price.



    Alarm: Viper 5902
    HU: Stock
    Front Stage:
    Tweeters: Image Dynamics CD1-Pro Mini Horns
    Mids: Sundown Neo Pro 8"
    Subs: (2) 15" Dayton HF ran IB
    Amps: (2) Kicker IX 500.4 (1) Kicker IX 1000.1
    Processor: JBL MS-8

  10. #25
    Etac's Avatar
    Etac is offline Angry Bunny Killer

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post
    I don't see anyone arguing with you on that.

    Maybe you can get someone near you who has experience tuning cars to help you before you take on a new project?
    i got a 30 band eq.. only thing htat ***** is i can only do both speakers.. i was actually thinking of grabbing another one...

    i RTA'd these speakers myself with my laptop and a decent mic.. with a flat sweep.. besides a slight bump i put in at 12khz 1/3 octave... couldnt sound cleaner to me.. but my mids seem to get a little sloppy in the 1-3 range when it gets loud.. (but i wonder if that has to do with my crossover?) - which is another reason why i wanna go 3 way and havea speaker dedicated just to 700-4000 ish.. also my mids are like 4 years old and for the abuse they're taken.. i couldnt be happier with em..



    Dont Buy From Or Sell To Dropped_Mazda

  11. #26
    dcole18's Avatar
    dcole18 is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    knoxville/the Burro, TN
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    im running a set of 8" usher mids in my door and they can play down to 55-60hz all day (300 watts rms)




    here is a link for the mids


    and here is what they look like in my doors






  12. #27
    FoxPro5's Avatar
    FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer



    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    3 octaves higher
    Posts
    5,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    Quote Originally Posted by WrenchGuy View Post
    Ensolite( commonly 1/4") between the panel and door can't hurt.
    Sometimes coupling a deadened trim panel tightly to the door can mass load it in a way that improves the integrity of the whole door. Decoupling has it's advantages, but it's not always better.

    Ensolite (PVC foam sold by Monarch) typically comes off a large roll in 1/8" thickness.

    Some closed cell foam to add some dampening and the other properties it has that I'm not professional on.
    Not "dampen" in the "deadener" sense? CCF has limited applications in a car. Most people waste their money on it.

    I should include a nice solid mounting baffle would be nice too.
    Like the Rock of Gibraltar.




  13. #28
    Etac's Avatar
    Etac is offline Angry Bunny Killer

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    1,965
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    Quote Originally Posted by dcole18 View Post
    im running a set of 8" usher mids in my door and they can play down to 55-60hz all day (300 watts rms)


    and here is what they look like in my doors


    here is a link for the mids



    another speaker i actually looked at, i just wasnt sure how much power they could really take with 1.5 voice coil..



    Dont Buy From Or Sell To Dropped_Mazda

  14. #29
    WrenchGuy's Avatar
    WrenchGuy is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    East Tawas, MI
    Posts
    2,023
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post
    Sometimes coupling a deadened trim panel tightly to the door can mass load it in a way that improves the integrity of the whole door. Decoupling has it's advantages, but it's not always better.

    Ensolite (PVC foam sold by Monarch) typically comes off a large roll in 1/8" thickness.

    Not "dampen" in the "deadener" sense? CCF has limited applications in a car. Most people waste their money on it.

    Like the Rock of Gibraltar.
    I just stuck foam in mine for the hell of it and because its been done. Not a whole lot of difference to the ear but it did take some pressure off the outer skin. I wouldn't buy 60 dollar a square type foam to put in there anyway...lol




  15. #30
    FoxPro5's Avatar
    FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer



    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    3 octaves higher
    Posts
    5,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: advice for 8's in doors...

    Quote Originally Posted by Etac View Post
    i understand which is why im here
    Awesome. You're on the wrong forum though, me thinks.

    Just plan ahead is all I'm saying.

    Good luck.




Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum