Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Opinions needed on a new install (informative)

schmittmj is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Opinions needed on a new install (informative)

A big hello to everyone. First post here, but I've been lurking around here and other various mobile audio forums for a few weeks gathering information, figured it was time to post for some opinions.

Backstory:

My brother recently enlisted in the military and sold me his truck (95 Tacoma). He gave me the amps (listed below) that he had, but sold the rest of his equipment minus the HU (listed below). I've been slightly short on cash after buying the truck, but have been working quite a bit and saved up enough to replace what was sold. After doing some digging around and visting a few semi-local audio shops I've come up with some equipment that I'm considering, so here goes.

Vehicle: 1995 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab

HU: Sony CDX-C780

I am thinking about a new HU only due to the fact that I have alot of music in mp3 format. The idea of only having to carry around a few CD's instead of 10's or 100's is very appealing to me. For general CD playback though I feel that the Sony currently installed will continue to do just fine until I feel a real NEED to upgrade.

Should I choose to get a new HU these are the options I have come down to:

- Alpine 9815
    - Pioneer 7400mp/740mp/750mp
    - Pioneer 9400mp/940mp

Important aspects of a head unit:

- MP3 playback speed
    - Nice looking display (doesn't necessarily mean screensavers and such)
    - Price (would prefer to stay near $400 max)
    - SQ

I have noted that the Alpines seem to be the decks with the fastest mp3 skip times out right now which is a big plus. I also like the 2 line display on the 9815 (vs the 9813 and below models). I have been able to play around with this unit and did like it. The face seemed a little busy but I think that it can be manageable. Available on eBay for around 400, Alpine SQ of course. I have not had any experience with the Pioneers apart from a friend who has a lower model (though with an OEL display) in his saturn. While it does look nice, I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the screensavers. The biggest thing display wise that im looking for is ability to show track names and other information with as little scrolling as possible (where the 2 lines on the Alpine are handy). I've heard the the mp3 seeks could be improved upon, but the price points on the 7xx(x)mp series is closer to the $250-300 range, and the offer decent SQ. The 9xx(x)mp series of course is above my prefered price range (closer to $550), but looks to have (from reading the offical specs) a very informative display. A HU should last me awhile if I choose to get a new one and I feel that all of these would fulfill that purpose.

I have thought about other brands such as Eclipse/Clarion/Kenwood ... but the faces just didn't "do it" for me (If I have to look at it all the time, I better enjoy it). Yes I understand that could mean I'm turning down a nice unit, but I think what I'm considering are of good quality.

Amps: Phoenix Gold XS4600, Phoenix Gold XS2500

The XS4600 is a 4 channel amp with these specs:
    75x4 - 4ohm
    150x4 - 2ohm
    300x2 - 4ohm

The XS2500 is a 2 channel amp with these specs:
    125x2 - 4ohm
    250x2 - 2ohm
    500x1 - 4ohm
    *700x1 - 2ohm (while I do not believe this is an offical spec, I have read a few posts of people running the amp bridged at 2ohm with no troubles)

I was "gifted" with these amps, and while may be a tad aged, think that they still perform quite well. I'm not looking to replace these right now. The tandem should provide plenty of different options to power the components and sub(s) (details coming).

Front Components: Currently Stock Speakers

New front speakers are the first majorly needed portion of the system. I have decided to go with a set of components for the obvious (or general, I'm sure there are nice coaxials) SQ advantage over coaxials.

Component considerations (6.5s):

- ID CXS64/ID CXS62
    - CDT CL61
    - Diamond S600s
    - Crystal CSC-60s

Important aspects of a set of front speakers:

- Price (while it would be nice to get something outrageous, I am on a budget, preferably around $300.00)
    - SQ
    - Silk tweeter

The IDs are available in a 2ohm version, which would allow more power which could be a nice advantage. The CDTs of course are rediculously priced right now at $150, which in some ways is too good to pass up. The Crystals can also be had for a very nice price and appear to be a good "bang for the buck" speaker. The Diamonds are at the top of my price point, but have gotten some rave reviews. I was able to listen to a set of Boston Pro 6.5s at a shop, and while they were a nice speaker they were very expensive and I just didn't like how the highs sounded when the volume was turned up. After doing some reading it seems this is attributed to the metal tweeter. Due to this I have ruled out speaker sets with metallic tweeters such as the Focal 165k2 and Bostons. I understand here also that by limiting myself to silk tweeters I lose out on a few very nice brands, but again, what I am consdering isn't crap and should thrill me for years to come.

Subwoofer: None

We all like a sub for some deep bass, so I'll just get into it.

Subwoofer Considerations:

- IDQ v.2
    - ID v.3
    - ed K
    - ed O

Important aspects of a subwoofer:

- SQ (70%)
    - Price (prefer around $200)
    - Space (see below)
    - SPL (30%)

I haven't measured the area I will have to work with yet, but seeing as how I tend to cart around myself and 2 friends, I need to have enough room in the extended cab for a 3rd person. This probably limits me to 1 sub, which I am plenty fine with. I can most likely fit a 15", but am leaning more toward a 10" or a 12" (all of which would be sealed) to save some cost. I have heard great things about all of the subs that I mentioned expecially concerning SQ. The fact that they all can perform SPL duties is just a bonus (although I am not a "basshead", on occasion I'll get out some rap or something with some low frequencies and the "bump" of a sub is quite fun).

Extra random information:

One thing that I'm really not sure about is what I should hook up to each amp. There are a few different ways that I can think of, some being.

- XS4600 -> 75W to each front set if speakers are 4ohm, 150W to each front set if speakers are 2ohm (2 channels free for future expansion)
    - XS2500 -> 500W bridged to a 4ohm wired sub, 700W bridged to a 2ohm sub (assuming it can handle the load)

- XS2500 -> 125W to each front set if speakers are 4ohm, 250W to each front set if speakers are 2ohm
    - XS4500 -> 300W bridged to a 4ohm wired sub (2 bridgeable channels free for future expansion)

While I'm not sure If its possible:

- XS4600 -> 300W bridged to each front set if speakers are 4ohm
    - XS2500 -> 500W bridged to a 4ohm wired sub, 700W bridged to a 2ohm sub (assuming it can handle the load)

Please take the amp/other equipment combos into your setups should you provide an opinion.

Well, I think that is all that I have for the fine people of this forum right now. I hope I provided you with enough information for you to make a good recommendation for me.

Thank you,
    Mike
    Last edited by schmittmj; 06-07-2003 at 09:28 AM.

sw1ft is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what ive been told...

if u really want to be able to see the name of the track and artist on your mp3 player i wouldnt go with the pioneer, you have to program them all in. also ive ben told it is very hard to navigate mp3's on the 7400mp.

GrandAmGT is offline Grand Am GT in the Making

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have the Pioneer 8400 HU.

It plays MP3's great, it's just a second or two slower reading the disc and changing songs. but the features on the HU are unbeleivable!

-1997 Grand Am GT-

-Pioneer 8400 HU
    -MBQ Discuss Series 4x6" and 6x9"
    -US Acoustics 65x4 Amp
    -2 12" Kicker L7's in a SubZone Ported.
    -Crossfire VR 2000D !!!
    -100 sq ft Second Skin Damplifier
    -new 105 amp Alt
    -New Yellow Top battery
    = 148.6 Db's

Next Competition: September 27th-Baraboo WI

Member of Team CarAudio.com

My SoundDomain Page

slipknot87420 is offline ^^^^^^420^^^^^^

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hey if you ever decide to sell that cd player just let me know

93 blazer

Panasonic>>>>Orion>>>>Kicker>>>>Pioneer

Steven Kephart is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, you scored on that, didn't you. Those are very nice amps, and that is a very nice CD player. I have the 880, which is one step above that one, and have been using it for about 5 years now. You will never have a skipping problem. That deck was made back when Sony made some of the best CD players. Times have changed.

Have you thought about getting a changer that can play MP3 disks? It might be cheaper to go that route rather than replace a very nice deck like that.

I know you said you want silk tweeters, but you really need to check out the Adire Koda component set. They get the same rave reviews, and are just an awesome set. The tweeter is surprisingly not like other metal tweeters. This is coming from a guy who switched from a set of a/d/s/ 3 series components which are well known for how laid back their tweeter is. The Koda's tweeter are very similar, while adding a little upper end the a/d/s/ dropped off too soon. For my complete review, check here.

I'll do some research and get back to you on the sub if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Sony CDXC-90 -- Sony XDP-4000X -- Adire Koda 6.1 -- dual Adire Brahma 10's isobaric -- Arc 1500dr -- Soundstream Reference 300

"We got tired of the "Xmax" wars, so while everyone else is playing with bows and arrows, we went nuclear." Dan Wiggins

schmittmj is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Some great information here guys, thanks a bunch. I'd love to hear from others too if they are willing. I have a few weeks here now where I'll have to work more then I'll have free time, so the install has been pushed back. I guess that means I may have a little extra money to use on some parts.

It appears that the Alpine 9815 is what I'm going to want to go with if I switch to a new HU. The combination of mp3 seek time / display / and SQ are just too good for me to pass up.

This idea of getting an MP3 changer never occured to me, I'm definitely going to look into this as an option. I think that it could be cheaper and allow me to allocate "budget" funds to other places like the comps and a sub (I could then look closer at the Kodas, and even a Brahma).

I look forward to your research Steven.

And one of the most important things that I noticed ... GrandAmGT is from CENTRAL WI, same as me. I may need help with the install, so if you happen by here again, drop me a line at [email protected] if you would be interested in a possible project .

Thanks again guys.

Mike

GrandAmGT is offline Grand Am GT in the Making

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    w00t!, Im the important guy here

I'm no installer, but im sure we could work together and really make it look good

You've got Mail

-1997 Grand Am GT-

-Pioneer 8400 HU
    -MBQ Discuss Series 4x6" and 6x9"
    -US Acoustics 65x4 Amp
    -2 12" Kicker L7's in a SubZone Ported.
    -Crossfire VR 2000D !!!
    -100 sq ft Second Skin Damplifier
    -new 105 amp Alt
    -New Yellow Top battery
    = 148.6 Db's

Next Competition: September 27th-Baraboo WI