Closed Thread

Reload Thread: In need of suggestions/help

deano17 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In need of suggestions/help

so i have 2 kicker CVR 12's and my kicker zx750.1 smoked. i had the gain half way up and the HU was at 52/62. no bass boost and sub volume on HU was at +6 which is the highest it will go. the subs are 2 ohm DVCs and they were wired to make a 2 ohms final load. i am 100% sure they are wired correctly. anyways the amp smoked so i need suggestions on a new amp under $200. i'm thinking maybe just get another 750.1. as for the subs i tested them with a meter and they were reading some crazy ohm loads. anywhere from 3-4 ohms. one of the subs is kinda in further than it should be and doesn't move as much. i'm thinking this sub is messed up and is what made the amp smoke. the other thing could be that the box is built for 2 10's and was cut more to fit 2 12's and has leaks all over. i might have had the gains up too high to accomodate for the loss of volume due to the box. i will build another box but i want to make sure the subs are fine first. if need be i will buy another CVR to replace the one thats not moving as much, or if someone wants to buy my subs i would consider other ones. help me out with some suggestions. thanks!

dman4486 is offline Paid to Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: In need of suggestions/help

pictures of each vc with resistance reading?

Auto: 96 honda passport 3.2L v6 4X4 5sp
    Big 3 pics--THE MAV--THE RSD's--MY VLX
    Rices Creek Pics

Refs: Sold to; lilmaniac2, alexdbest2000, jshak07 Bought from; CJL

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i don't have the meter anymore. i can borrow it again but not til next week. if the vc's were all 2 ohm is there any way they could change resistance. i checked the final load which should have been 2 ohms and it was like 3-4

dman4486 is offline Paid to Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ratings are not always correct

Auto: 96 honda passport 3.2L v6 4X4 5sp
    Big 3 pics--THE MAV--THE RSD's--MY VLX
    Rices Creek Pics

Refs: Sold to; lilmaniac2, alexdbest2000, jshak07 Bought from; CJL

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

alright so i bought a DMM and tested subs and took them out and checked them out. first sub, the one i originally had, is fine and all VCs read 2 ohms or like 1.9. close enough. i checked the second sub and got no reading. i then found out that my leads had snapped at where they are soldered to the spring loaded post. i got it as a second sub and it came with the cone pushed in way further than it should have been.

so what happened is while i way playing, the leads on the one sub snapped. each sub was wired to 4 ohm and then to a 2 ohm final load. once they snapped, the load changed to 4 ohms final because only one sub was working. the change in resistance probably fried the amp. so should i get another kicker zx750.1 and another CVR that isn't damaged or should i get a completely different sub setup? i will definitely be building a new box no matter what.

PaulD is offline self-imposed ban

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the loss of one speaker would have made the load on the amp less (higher impedance) not more. Are the subs in a shared chamber box ?

standard disclaimer: I know nothing ..... take my advice at your own peril

Quote Originally Posted by SRim23 View Post
    i think we're between boners at the moment

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

separate chambers with a shared center port. the box is really small cause it was for 2 10's and my friend made it fit 2 12's. i know it's a crappy box but its all i had at the time and i was planning on building a good one for them. i know the load would have been less but wouldn't the sudden change in resistance cause damage to the amp?

Closed Thread