Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Reload Thread: Alpine CDA-9815 or Eclipse CD8443?

  1. #1
    MJ23FE's Avatar
    MJ23FE is offline Member



    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Age
    31
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Alpine CDA-9815 or Eclipse CD8443?


    CDA-9815
    In-Dash CD Player/Ai-Changer Controller

    • 60W x 4 V-Drive™ Amplifier
    • Bass Engine® Pro
    - 6-Channel Digital Time Correction
    - 6-Position HP/LP Digital Crossover
    - 5-Band Parametric EQ
    - Subwoofer Level Control with Phase Selector
    - 3-Way or 2-Way Digital Crossover
    • Media Xpander™
    • XM Satellite Radio Ready
    • MP3/WMA/CD-R/RW Playback
    • CD Text and MP3/WMA Tag Informtation Display
    • Quick Search Function
    • CD Text, CD Text Display, CD Text Scroll
    • 2-Line Color Display with Spectrum Analyzer
    • Versatile-Link™ Ready
    • MaxTune SQ Tuner
    • BlackOut Display
    • Regulated 1Bit DAC
    • 3 PreOuts (4 volt)
    • MM Driver (Hard Disc Drive) Ready
    • MobileHub™ Ready
    • i-Personalize
    • Swing Mechanism with Detachable Face
    • RUE-4187 Wireless Remote Control Included

    OR



    •High voltage 8V low impedance outputs
    •All digital circuitry
    •STAR DSP (newly designed Digital Signal Processor)
    •24-bit advanced multi-bit
    Digital-to-Analog Converter
    •CD-R/CD-RW compatibility
    •MP3 playback using optional ECLIPSE Commander Advance
    •Full dot VF display
    •Maximum 50W into 4 channels with new MOSFET power amplifier section
    •Power tilting front panel
    •Auxiliary input

    I am heavily considering both of these head units, and for a while i wanted to go with the Eclipse but ever since seeing this Alpine, i have just been at a loss for words. I have also heard that the Eclipse Head units have been known to go bad after about a year. What do you guys think? Please some one tell me what they think is the better head unit.
    -Jalal



    1997 Nissan Maxima GXE
    Installed:
    Pioneer DEH-P9300
    Diamond Audio HEX S600s
    Diamond Audio M361i
    Phoenix Gold Tantrum 500.2
    Rockford Fosgate Punch 500a2
    JL Audio CS310R-W0
    Monster 1 Farad Capacitor
    KnuKonceptz Complete Wiring
    Soon To Come:
    Elemental Design e12A.22
    Future:
    Phoenix Gold Tantrum 500.2
    to replace my Rockford Fosgate Punch 500a2




  2. #2
    JLCivic's Avatar
    JLCivic is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Maine
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Alpine CDA-9815 or Eclipse CD8443?

    Originally posted by MJ23FE

    CDA-9815
    In-Dash CD Player/Ai-Changer Controller

    • 60W x 4 V-Drive™ Amplifier
    • Bass Engine® Pro
    - 6-Channel Digital Time Correction
    - 6-Position HP/LP Digital Crossover
    - 5-Band Parametric EQ
    - Subwoofer Level Control with Phase Selector
    - 3-Way or 2-Way Digital Crossover
    • Media Xpander™
    • XM Satellite Radio Ready
    • MP3/WMA/CD-R/RW Playback
    • CD Text and MP3/WMA Tag Informtation Display
    • Quick Search Function
    • CD Text, CD Text Display, CD Text Scroll
    • 2-Line Color Display with Spectrum Analyzer
    • Versatile-Link™ Ready
    • MaxTune SQ Tuner
    • BlackOut Display
    • Regulated 1Bit DAC
    • 3 PreOuts (4 volt)
    • MM Driver (Hard Disc Drive) Ready
    • MobileHub™ Ready
    • i-Personalize
    • Swing Mechanism with Detachable Face
    • RUE-4187 Wireless Remote Control Included

    OR



    •High voltage 8V low impedance outputs
    •All digital circuitry
    •STAR DSP (newly designed Digital Signal Processor)
    •24-bit advanced multi-bit
    Digital-to-Analog Converter
    •CD-R/CD-RW compatibility
    •MP3 playback using optional ECLIPSE Commander Advance
    •Full dot VF display
    •Maximum 50W into 4 channels with new MOSFET power amplifier section
    •Power tilting front panel
    •Auxiliary input

    I am heavily considering both of these head units, and for a while i wanted to go with the Eclipse but ever since seeing this Alpine, i have just been at a loss for words. I have also heard that the Eclipse Head units have been known to go bad after about a year. What do you guys think? Please some one tell me what they think is the better head unit.
    -Jalal

    Eclipse decks go bad after a year? Where have you heard that? I ran eclipse decks for 9 years until just recently(tired of waiting for the new eclipse so had the shop put in a clarion 835mp...very nice deck btw...but I will probably get the eclipse 8053 when it comes out). I have NEVER needed an eclipse deck repaired. They did have some weird voltage/skipping issues with some decks years ago(but that was fixed 3 years ago).

    My best friend went from eclipse to alpine(took him about 2 seconds to regret that decision), and his 1st alpine died after 6 months or so, and his 2nd one has needed to be repaired for over a year. There is also a clarion/alpine dealer 2 hours from here. The owner told the local shop owners that he had major reliability issues with the alpines(and he said the clarion stuff sounded better anyway). You will always find people who have had bad luck with a particular brand, but I think Eclipse makes **** solid decks. Anyway, the alpine will have more features, but I think eclipse makes a better sounding deck. Eclipse's pre outs are excellent as well. If you want/need mp3 then you could go with the eclipse 3403 or 3413(or buy a clarion 835mp which is very nice). Again, alpine wins on features. Eclipse wins on SQ. IT all depends on what matters most to you. Good luck with whatever you buy.



    2002 Honda Accord SE sedan

    RF 8250
    Sirius
    Dynaudio 220 components
    JL Audio 12W6V2 sub
    JL Audio 300/4 amp
    JL audio 500/1 amp

    http://members.sounddomain.com/perryb

  3. #3
    BassRacer's Avatar
    BassRacer is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Westside
    Age
    29
    Posts
    270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alpines are solid decks my dad had one in his old truck for about 5 years and it has never broke once. Plus Alpines Cda-9815 is said to have to fastest mp3 reading speeds.



    1984 Olds Cutlass Ciera 2.8L 4 dr
    Windows Tinted Already

    Upcoming Mods:
    1)Custom Dual Exhaust from Midas w/ Chrome tips
    2)Dual Electric Cooling Fans (Spal or Flex-a-lite)
    3) K&N Air Filter System
    4) 16'' Rims
    5) Air ride Suspension
    Coming soon Summer of 2K3

    Hu-
    Alpine CDA-7995
    or
    Alpine CDA-9815

    Comps- Dunno yet

    Comp Amp(s)- Dunno yet


    Subs-
    2 12'' Elemental Designs A Series Subs Dual 2 ohm

    Sub Amp(s)- Dunno yet

  4. #4
    wolfey's Avatar
    wolfey is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Santa Maria, CA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    225
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah the alpine has great mp3 reading times.. about the same as a cd.. it takes a little bit of time to load for the firs ttime but you can skip really quick, and its got that find feature that is really nice.. its a great looking unit loaded with features from what i've seen (i've had it about 3 weeks or so) but the preouts seem a bit weak, i have to put mine all the way up to 15 out of 15 on my subouts.. the crossover is awesome and eq is real good also.. its not a beginner deck though, doesnt have hardly any good presets.. only like 4, pop, rock, news, and something else. I played with an eclipse unit at a dealership and it had fast load times as well, not sure which is faster.. but the clarion seemed really slow and lacked features, it was the 825 though i think, not the 835



    brahma 12 in 1.9 cf ported enclosure tuned to an ugly 38hz..

    REVO amp
    stock speakers in the front..

    looking to upgrade..

  5. #5
    -DZ-'s Avatar
    -DZ- is offline Member



    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Streator, IL
    Age
    33
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If I were in the same position (and I was), I'd go with the 9815 (I did ).

    Eclipse head units are nice and all, but for what you pay you ought be getting a lot more features. Alpine and Eclipse are equal for SQ in my book. Any SQ edge one would have over the other is marginal. Installation quality will cause a larger difference in SQ than one could ever discern between replacing one head unit with the other.

    Five will get you ten that it's the pocketbook placebo effect coming into play when someone says "My Alpine sounded better than my Eclipse" or vice verse.


    Eclipse = No MP3 and no native Satellite Radio capability. Also, ESN is probably the best in concept, yet worst in practice security device in the industry today. Time to get with the program Eclipse




  6. #6
    -DZ-'s Avatar
    -DZ- is offline Member



    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Streator, IL
    Age
    33
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by wolfey
    but the preouts seem a bit weak, i have to put mine all the way up to 15 out of 15 on my subouts..
    Holy cow..

    I normally run my subwoofer at about +3, +7 for "Lets kick it up a notch", and +10 for "Let's make this thing POUND". Anything above that is just crazy.

    Note that the SUB-W control on the Alpine is actually somewhat backwards. +15 is actually 0dB. +1 is actually -14dB and so on.




  7. #7
    -DZ-'s Avatar
    -DZ- is offline Member



    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Streator, IL
    Age
    33
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Jmac
    No ....

    +15 is 4 volts and it supposedly drops by 0.2 volts with each increment (i.e. +10 is 3 volts, +5 is 2 volts, 0 is 1 volt) ...

    Of course, it depends on volume, eq, etc. too
    Um.. Isn't that what I just said.

    15 is 0dB reference level, 0 is -15dB reference level.




  8. #8
    JLCivic's Avatar
    JLCivic is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Maine
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by -DZ-
    If I were in the same position (and I was), I'd go with the 9815 (I did ).

    Eclipse head units are nice and all, but for what you pay you ought be getting a lot more features. Alpine and Eclipse are equal for SQ in my book. Any SQ edge one would have over the other is marginal. Installation quality will cause a larger difference in SQ than one could ever discern between replacing one head unit with the other.

    Five will get you ten that it's the pocketbook placebo effect coming into play when someone says "My Alpine sounded better than my Eclipse" or vice verse.


    Eclipse = No MP3 and no native Satellite Radio capability. Also, ESN is probably the best in concept, yet worst in practice security device in the industry today. Time to get with the program Eclipse
    Eclipse's sirius unit will be out this summer(and can be controlled from their decks from 99 and up), and their 8 series decks(due out next month) will have adjustable Xovers, EQ, and time alignment(and, from top to bottom, their pre outs are the best around) and those decks are priced at $419 and $549. I think Eclipse is VERY "with the program." I know guys on another forum who have $600 alpine decks and need linedrivers because the sub pre outs are weak(you never hear those complaints with eclipses). Aslo, Eclipse has mp3 decks this year priced at $199 and $249 so they do have choices.

    A guy posted the insurance stats regarding ESN on another forum last week. Between .25% -.50% of ESN decks had been reported stolen. In comparison, 25%-30% of detach face decks get reported stolen. That stat speaks very well of Eclipse. The type of theft prevention is all personal preference, but you see detach face decks getting stolen every week. If a thief wants it, he/she is going to get it. Every "eclipse vs alpine" thread I have ever seen, when it comes to SQ, eclipse has had the majority vote. Alpine has a ton of features, no doubt, but Eclipse makes a better sounding deck IMO.

    If you like alpine then fine, but saying they should have more features for the money is a little off base, especially with the low pricing of the 03 models(5 volt deck for $289, retail is VERy reasonable), and a balanced line deck with eq/time alignment/adjustable Xovers for $549 may be one of the best deals going. I do know some alpine users who would say for the money, their alpine pre outs should be better as well(I think solid pre outs are more important than having a ton of other features). Compromises are made in every deck(from every manufacturer). Eclipse prioritizes its pre outs and sq. Alpine prioritizes features IMO. There is nothing wrong with either way, they are just different. If you think eclipse should have more features for the price, you must really think Nakamichi and Denon are overpriced(or the alpine F1 status). I am glad you like your alpine. I had one years ago and liked it alot, but I haven't heard an alpine I liked as well as Eclipse.
    Last edited by JLCivic; 05-25-2003 at 08:19 AM.



    2002 Honda Accord SE sedan

    RF 8250
    Sirius
    Dynaudio 220 components
    JL Audio 12W6V2 sub
    JL Audio 300/4 amp
    JL audio 500/1 amp

    http://members.sounddomain.com/perryb

  9. #9
    -DZ-'s Avatar
    -DZ- is offline Member



    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Streator, IL
    Age
    33
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You make a lot of good points, but:

    8V preouts are useless unless you have an amplifier capable of accepting an 8V signal.

    I don't know about others, but I can drive my amplifiers well into clipping with the 4V preouts on my Alpine.

    I consider Eclipse to be "just another off the shelf brand". Nakamichi, Dennon, McIntosh, etc.. Those brands are all fairly "exclusive" and are not everyday stuff.

    No, I don't think it's wrong to want more features for what I would be paying. Why does a $250 head unit play MP3 files whereas a $549 head unit does not? Satellite radio this summer? Other brands have had this for upwards of two years! (That's with the program? Sounds like they are running a little behind in this department)

    Yes, way less ESN head units get stolen as way less ESN units get SOLD. I doubt detachable face theft is as high as you say it is, and I doubt Eclipse thefts are as low as you say they are. If I'm Joe Thief, I'm going to break into your car and steal what you have. I'm not going to say, "Hmm, that's an Eclipse. Better leave this one alone. Probably no subwoofers, amplifiers, and nice component speakers in here either". If they will take the stock radio, they will take your Eclipse, Kenwood, Alpine, Clarion, or Road Gear.

    I can gurantee if you did a blind swap in 95 percent of systems between an Alpine and an Eclipse, most people wouldn't be able to tell you which is which.

    I'm not saying Eclipse *****, not at all. If it had some of the features I'm looking for in the price range I'm shopping in, I'd seriously give them another look. Right now, you can get a better value in other brands without sacrificing SQ for features.




  10. #10
    JLCivic's Avatar
    JLCivic is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Maine
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by -DZ-
    You make a lot of good points, but:

    8V preouts are useless unless you have an amplifier capable of accepting an 8V signal.

    I don't know about others, but I can drive my amplifiers well into clipping with the 4V preouts on my Alpine.

    I consider Eclipse to be "just another off the shelf brand". Nakamichi, Dennon, McIntosh, etc.. Those brands are all fairly "exclusive" and are not everyday stuff.

    No, I don't think it's wrong to want more features for what I would be paying. Why does a $250 head unit play MP3 files whereas a $549 head unit does not? Satellite radio this summer? Other brands have had this for upwards of two years! (That's with the program? Sounds like they are running a little behind in this department)

    Yes, way less ESN head units get stolen as way less ESN units get SOLD. I doubt detachable face theft is as high as you say it is, and I doubt Eclipse thefts are as low as you say they are. If I'm Joe Thief, I'm going to break into your car and steal what you have. I'm not going to say, "Hmm, that's an Eclipse. Better leave this one alone. Probably no subwoofers, amplifiers, and nice component speakers in here either". If they will take the stock radio, they will take your Eclipse, Kenwood, Alpine, Clarion, or Road Gear.

    I can gurantee if you did a blind swap in 95 percent of systems between an Alpine and an Eclipse, most people wouldn't be able to tell you which is which.

    I'm not saying Eclipse *****, not at all. If it had some of the features I'm looking for in the price range I'm shopping in, I'd seriously give them another look. Right now, you can get a better value in other brands without sacrificing SQ for features.
    As for the theft stats, percentages were given(so the fact that more detach face decks are sold is irrelevant). The guy who posted them works for an eclipse dealer I assume, but another guy posted the stats as well backing him up. I didn't say 4 esn decks were stolen while 10,000 detach face decks were stolen, for example. Thieves take just about anything, sad but true. I am by no means saying ESN is the best theft deterrant out there(I think a fake stock looking face would be much better), but I haven't seen any convincing argument that detachable face is better(and many people get tired of taking the faceplates off which would render the feature useless anyway).

    As for satellite, from what the local shop says, Eclipse was holding off to see who would survive, and then, once they decided that it looked like both would probably be around, they wanted to be able to offer both as choices. Their sirius unit is being engineered to be compatible with decks going back to 99(in that you won't need a separate controller, even if your deck is 4 years old...not a bad deal for somebody running an older eclipse). Yes, I say eclipse is with the program. They offer many products(mp3, navigation, voice command, a new 20 gig hard drive unit this summer, etc). There is something to be said for not just jumping into something either(a year ago, sirius was not looking very promising at all, financially speaking). Eclipse has consistently offered more features for less money each year and still maintain excellent sounding decks. If it takes them an extra model year to do what they want in a deck, and do it right without compromising sq, then I say fine.

    I agree that denon and mcintosh are more exclusive, but since Nakamichi is readily available from net retailers and ebay, it is hard to consider them THAT exclusive. Eclipse is definitely not as exclusive as denon or mcintosh obviously, but the point remains, if eclipse is somehow overpriced because of the "features per dollar" argument, then the other decks(nak, denon, mcintosh, alpine f1) should be held to the same standard, IMO.

    Eclipse's pricing on mp3 decks atleast give people the chance to buy an inexpensive mp3 deck(remember how much the alpine 7878 listed for 2 short years ago?). It is all a matter of their view on the market. Sure, maybe eclipse could have put mp3 in their upper end decks and priced them $100 more and left them out of their lower end decks this year. If that happened, then you would see people complain that "gee, eclipse doesn't make a cheap mp3 deck." You can't please everybody. Maybe next year all of their decks will have mp3, who knows. If Eclipse had priced the cd8053 at $649 and offered mp3 in it, would that have been better?..i dunno
    I don't think there is any brand that offers mp3 in every model anyway(I could be wrong). I think anybody interested in a higher end, balanced line deck is probably going for complete sq(and mp3 is more than likely, not a concern).

    Quality of pre outs doesn't just mean higher voltage either(atleast not to me). The local shop tested a guy's alpine for him, and it clipped at a relatively low volume. Another guy(posted on elitecaraudio) tested the pre outs on 2 7897s and, when the front pre outs clipped, the sub pre out was putting out 1.7 volts. I mention that just to show that "better" pre outs doesn't just mean "higher voltage" IMO. I don't think that just because deck A has higher voltage pre outs, that it is automatically better. I now run a 4 volt clarion for example, and it works fine. The majority of people I have seen post on the polls that people make(the ongoing alpine vs eclipse, which sounds better), say they think eclipse sounds better(I prefer eclipse but I also tell people to go check them out for yourselves and see what you think). They have had experience with both decks, have a/b demoed them, etc. Most people(myself included) will be objective and say what they think sounds better(If I listen to 2 decks, I will say which one I prefer. It doesn't matter if somebody is there telling me which one sounds better). It surely isn't some mythical perception that they have about eclipse's sound quality. If any brand has mythical status, it surely is alpine, not eclipse.

    Anyway, I take this is interesting conversation/debate without the flaming. I hope you feel the same.



    2002 Honda Accord SE sedan

    RF 8250
    Sirius
    Dynaudio 220 components
    JL Audio 12W6V2 sub
    JL Audio 300/4 amp
    JL audio 500/1 amp

    http://members.sounddomain.com/perryb

  11. #11
    nismboy6986's Avatar
    nismboy6986 is offline the **** technician



    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Belhaven NC
    Posts
    665
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    where are some sites i can get Eclipse head units pretty cheap other than Ebay??
    I can't really think of any and no i'm not trying to be funny but i seriously want to know




  12. #12
    JLCivic's Avatar
    JLCivic is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Maine
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by nismboy6986
    where are some sites i can get Eclipse head units pretty cheap other than Ebay??
    I can't really think of any and no i'm not trying to be funny but i seriously want to know
    Other than the occasional ebay listing, you won't find online sales of new eclipse decks. You have to go to an eclipse dealer. You can call 1-800-55-eclipse and be automatically connected to the closest dealer. You can check out their decks at www.eclipse-web.com



    2002 Honda Accord SE sedan

    RF 8250
    Sirius
    Dynaudio 220 components
    JL Audio 12W6V2 sub
    JL Audio 300/4 amp
    JL audio 500/1 amp

    http://members.sounddomain.com/perryb

  13. #13
    MJ23FE's Avatar
    MJ23FE is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Age
    31
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hye JLCivic i sent you a PM the other day. Did you get it?
    -Jalal



    1997 Nissan Maxima GXE
    Installed:
    Pioneer DEH-P9300
    Diamond Audio HEX S600s
    Diamond Audio M361i
    Phoenix Gold Tantrum 500.2
    Rockford Fosgate Punch 500a2
    JL Audio CS310R-W0
    Monster 1 Farad Capacitor
    KnuKonceptz Complete Wiring
    Soon To Come:
    Elemental Design e12A.22
    Future:
    Phoenix Gold Tantrum 500.2
    to replace my Rockford Fosgate Punch 500a2

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    31
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure about the new Eclipse models, but I've had my 54410 for about two years now and I've had absolutely NO problems whatsoever. It delivers and incredibly clean, powerful sound. I'm powering six speakers too and it hits hard for deck power. The 54410 was the middle-range for Eclipse; it was 11WX4 RMS and had 2.7V preouts. Yeah, that's my 2¢.



    1993 Volvo 850 GLT
    Alpine CDA-7875 27W.4(rms)
    Sony Xplod 190.2W(rms)
    2X JLAudio 10W3d4 w/custom box
    MBQuart components in front
    8 speaker system, 10 w/subs
    488 total watts(rms) of power

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Age
    31
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure about the new Eclipse models, but I've had my 54410 for about two years now and I've had absolutely NO problems whatsoever. It delivers and incredibly clean, powerful sound. I'm powering six speakers too and it hits hard for deck power. The 54410 was the middle-range for Eclipse; it was 11WX4 RMS and had 2.7V preouts. Yeah, that's my 2¢.



    1993 Volvo 850 GLT
    Alpine CDA-7875 27W.4(rms)
    Sony Xplod 190.2W(rms)
    2X JLAudio 10W3d4 w/custom box
    MBQuart components in front
    8 speaker system, 10 w/subs
    488 total watts(rms) of power

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum