Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

Alternator whine... grrrr

Spent the weekend playing with my system. Moved the front speakers to run off 2 channels of my USX-4065 instead of the RF 160.2. Got some nasty alternator whine now. PMRO (Pisses Me Right Off).

The amp ground I'm using is a big fat stainless bolt with lockwashers attached to a clean hole in one of the trunk support brackets. Don't think it could be any better. The RF amp used the same ground wire and was real quiet.

Anybody out there who has cured alternator whine, what'd you end up doing to fix it?

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Alternator whine... grrrr

Originally posted by maylar
    Spent the weekend playing with my system. Moved the front speakers to run off 2 channels of my USX-4065 instead of the RF 160.2. Got some nasty alternator whine now. PMRO (Pisses Me Right Off).

The amp ground I'm using is a big fat stainless bolt with lockwashers attached to a clean hole in one of the trunk support brackets. Don't think it could be any better. The RF amp used the same ground wire and was real quiet.

Anybody out there who has cured alternator whine, what'd you end up doing to fix it?
    maybe your speaker wires are pickin up the signals... you did say that you're using the eact same wiring, only changed amps. I had an incredible amountof alt whine at first, but when I moved the cables to another location, it cured right up. I trust that you DID the grounds really well. However, did you scrape all the paint off? It' snot easy scraping car paint off... dremel paint removing metal brush didn't budge e a thing, soi had to use sanders to do it...

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)
    Yuh, the hole is clean of paint. And the wire is only about 18" long, crimped gold lugs. I donwanna go drilling and scraping new holes in my trunk since I doubt there's any other location in the trunk that's better. Maybe I'll run a 14 ga ground wire from the HU black wire to the amp's ground point. What sux is that the RF amp was super quiet with exactly the same wires.

dave
    ----------

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yuh, the hole is clean of paint. And the wire is only about 18" long, crimped gold lugs. I donwanna go drilling and scraping new holes in my trunk since I doubt there's any other location in the trunk that's better. Maybe I'll run a 14 ga ground wire from the HU black wire to the amp's ground point. What sux is that the RF amp was super quiet with exactly the same wires.
    as I understand it, RF's have a lot of teh behind them...transNOVA is about the only thing I remember right now, but they do haveea whole lot fo stuff, and many times in mag reviews, RF's are always absent of pop-on noise, and distortion.. (or something of that sort)

Maybe it's cause RF's have power terminals on one side, and speaker/pre-out on the other, whilst the new subs have maybe a pwoer terminal and spealer/RCA on one side? I'm not too sure, but it just might be. I really don't think it's the ground wire (even though that causes a lot of problems, which I'm sure you know about already)

Did you do any upgrade to the motor? Perhaps thicker ground for the batt? (I did this and introduced noise again.. took it out and it was gone{ground loop}) High perofrmance sparkplug cables are another nasty culprit. I couldn't have any of those, else the noise would be as loud as the music.

oh, and about tube amps, my email is [email protected]

Please enlighten me on these incredible amp technology~

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

fantomas is offline show her the oh face

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    i used to have it really bad when i had my aiwa HU. about two winters ago i was driving around and all of a sudden the bass stopped. i pull over, look in the trunk, and see that the ground is loose. so instead of disconnecting the batt and fixing it, i just touch the cable, and it moves and hits the power end. sparks were a flyin'. needless to say i blew a $14 fuse. 3 days later or so..i buy a new $14 fuse, and put it in. the amp wouldnt turn on. for some reason, i blew the remote turn on on the hu...well, i went and hooked it up to a switch and my ignition wire and it turned on, but the alt whining was terrible. so i figured it was the amp. i sent it to mtx, no warranty since i got it off ebay...about $90..$66 for repairs and $25 for shipping. i get the amp back weeks later...and its still the same problem. I get the usx 4065 thinking that that amp will solve the problem. nope, only amplified it. so...i was getting tired of my cheap *** aiwa hu and decide to get a cheap *** kenwood. i swap them out and BAM! no more alt whining. and there was much rejoicing..yay...

theres actual still a slight whine but you cant hear it if the music is up. your hu is probably not the problem. you might want to try looking into getting some ground loop isolators.

when in doubt, check the ground.

eengrms is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Alternator whine... grrrr

Was the USX amp already installed? If so and you just added the front speakers to it, then chances are it always had some alternator whine and you just never really heard it before. Maybe you need to review the installation of the USX amp and see if any of the wires are near bad things, or not connected properly.

Mark_ab is offline The Alpha Male

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Try to isolate what exactly is the source of the noise. It doesn't hurt to always reground the HU anyway, it's usually a long, small gauge run if it's stock.

Is this not a reasonable place to park?

abcdefg is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i got the us acoustics 2080 and im having a problem with whining, but aint alternator noise, b/c if its alt noise u can tell by reving the engine and if it i alt noise it will get louder as u rev the engine, well mine its just a constant whine when u start the car, ive tryed ground loop isolator and that stopped it sort of, im bout to shorten my ground up and that should fix it, but if not i got this noise supreessor thing that should stop it

Pioneer Premier DEH-660
    1 12inch ED k
    2 12inch RE HC's
    Hifonics brutus 1000d
    infinity kappa 6 1/2 components
    polk 5 1/4's
    US Acoustics USX2080
    sony cd player-4sale
    jensen 4's- 4sale

check this out guys:
    http://www.sounddomain.com/id/tumultgoboomboom

Aim= wrde2005
    Email= [email protected]
    Aol instant message= wrde333

hihoslva is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Noise is almost never picked up through the speaker wires, and is almost always introduced through the RCA cables.

Even a tiny area where the RCAs are near or touching the power or ground can give you whine.

It is also possible that in jostling the RCAs around, you broke the insulation somewhere.

I would try re-routing the RCAs as far as possible from power and ground, and make sure they don't touch anywhere.

I never had whine with my RF amps, but when I installed my new Lanzars the whine was outta control. A little re-routing of the RCAs cured it 100%.

~HH

2002 Sunlight Silver Metallic Mazda Protege5
    Kenwood~Lanzar~Infinity~Peerless

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    maylar....im going w/ the guy that suggested regrounding the h/u.....you'd be amazed how much that can help.....

Mark_ab is offline The Alpha Male

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Originally posted by hihoslva
    Noise is almost never picked up through the speaker wires, and is almost always introduced through the RCA cables.

Even a tiny area where the RCAs are near or touching the power or ground can give you whine.

It is also possible that in jostling the RCAs around, you broke the insulation somewhere.

I would try re-routing the RCAs as far as possible from power and ground, and make sure they don't touch anywhere.

I never had whine with my RF amps, but when I installed my new Lanzars the whine was outta control. A little re-routing of the RCAs cured it 100%.

~HH
    Inducted noise through RCA's and alternator whine are unrelated problems. I have my RCA's and 1/0 Power side by side and I have no noise problems. Unless you want to wrap the RCA's around the power wire, you won't have a problem in that regard.

Is this not a reasonable place to park?

hihoslva is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Mark_ab
    Inducted noise through RCA's and alternator whine are unrelated problems. I have my RCA's and 1/0 Power side by side and I have no noise problems. Unless you want to wrap the RCA's around the power wire, you won't have a problem in that regard.
    I won't refute your analysis - I mean, if that's what is working for you, then it works, right?

Bad ground can certainly be an issue also, of course.

However, I think it largely depends on the RCAs in question. Possibly some brands and/or types of RCAs can be installed this way (next to the power wire) - depending on shielding. But I do know that in my car (and previous cars, and friends' cars) RCA routing did contribute to the problem. While re-grouding made some progress in those installs, it was re-routing the RCAs far from all power/ground that finally knocked all the whine out of the system.

I will admit however, none of these installs had any kind of shielded cabling, mine included. Run-of-the-mill RCAs were used, and moving them got rid of the whine.

~HH

2002 Sunlight Silver Metallic Mazda Protege5
    Kenwood~Lanzar~Infinity~Peerless

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)
    Well.. I went out tonite to have a look-see. Yoinked the 4 RCA's off the amp, whine went away. OK, I figure there's a ground loop here. I was prepared to make some isolators for the RCA cables.

Started putting the RCA plugs back in, just as a sanity check. Umm... no noise. WTF?

OK, maybe some bizarre effect with RCA's being close to power wires and it'll all come back when I button up the amp rack and put my tools away...

Nope. Quiet as a church mouse.

Magic. Or maybe the moons of Jupiter are in alignment, I dunno.

Anyway, problem gone. For now...

dave
    ----------

fantomas is offline show her the oh face

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    hmn...sounds like it was just a bad connection then....or...you're going insane. either way, you've solved the problem without spending money.

when in doubt, check the ground.

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List