Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 3-way component sets - $350 or less

hihoslva is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3-way component sets - $350 or less

I am looking for suggestions on 3-way component sets - figure a price max of $350.

So far, I have been considering:

Focal 165v3 - I read good things - very good things. These are the PolyGlass line, and I can get last year's model for a shade over $300. The new 165v3e might be a bit out of my price range. Probably number one choice right now.

MB Quart PSD-316 - Again, I read good things, but complaints about harsh tweeters worries me. Some lines also seem to have lower efficiency ratings - some people say not to worry about that stuff, but personally I find that it matters. Last choice unless I'm somehow convinced otherwise.

JL Audio XR-653cs - Might wind up on the pricey side, but I wouldn't mind giving the respected JL name a shot. Again, however, some issues with harsh tweeters. Probably 2nd choice at this time.

Planet Audio P63-CKS - Cheapest of the bunch ($199 online), and unknown quality. Though I've read some opinions that overall Planet is a good company, and makes solid products. 3rd place now, due to lack of opinions from users.

Other suggestions are encouraged, please!!! I'm working with either 125 watts or 250 watts per side, as I can bridge my 4-channel amp if necessary. I would prefer to keep it to the 125, however.

Kindly *try* to stick to the $350 limit!

And this may be a long-shot; but if anyone knows of a good place to audition these choices (or any others suggested) near Long Island, NY, I'd really appreciate it. I'll travel an hour or two if necessary to go hear them, also.

Thanks to all who can help!

~HH

2002 Sunlight Silver Metallic Mazda Protege5
    Kenwood~Lanzar~Infinity~Peerless

Randy Savage is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The best thing you can possibly do is go out and listen to each pair, because what may sound nice and crisp to me may sound too harsh to you, people have varying tastes.

P.S.- Where on LI are you from? There are quite a few shops around me, but I don't go to shops, so I'm not too familiar with what they carry...

hihoslva is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by snova031
    The best thing you can possibly do is go out and listen to each pair, because what may sound nice and crisp to me may sound too harsh to you, people have varying tastes.
    Of course. However opinions are always good, I think - I mean, you don't get to listen to the speakers in a car when you visit a shop (most of the time) - so between getting opinions of users AND auditioning, I hope to find what I'm after.

For comparison's sake - right now I run an Infinity 605cs 2-way comp set up front in my car, and I'm reasonably happy with them. I want to go 3-way now, but don't just want to add on a midbass. I'd rather have a matched set complete with 3-way crossover. But I do enjoy the Infinity tweeters - not too harsh, not too subtle. Something similar (these are silk-dome) would do me just fine, but a little brighter is okay too. I think all the component sets I am considering have tweeter attenuation switches in the crossovers, which helps, too.

P.S.- Where on LI are you from? There are quite a few shops around me, but I don't go to shops, so I'm not too familiar with what they carry...
    Check your PM's neighbor!

~HH

2002 Sunlight Silver Metallic Mazda Protege5
    Kenwood~Lanzar~Infinity~Peerless

Randy Savage is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    PM right back at ya

outbacksport is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Adire Koda's 6.5 = $350.00

Steven Kephart is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by outbacksport
    Adire Koda's 6.5 = $350.00
    I second that. Although it isn't a three way setup, they will provide the frequency response of a 3 way. This set has some huge midbass.

Sony CDXC-90 -- Sony XDP-4000X -- Adire Koda 6.1 -- dual Adire Brahma 10's isobaric -- Arc 1500dr -- Soundstream Reference 300

"We got tired of the "Xmax" wars, so while everyone else is playing with bows and arrows, we went nuclear." Dan Wiggins

Pgvietsider is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 3-way component sets - $350 or less

Rainbow SLC 3 ways contact Don(6spdcoupe) great guy to deal with.

Alpine CDA-117
    Massive Audio CK6 Stage V

Closed Thread