Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Sound Deadener Help

JLMaster is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sound Deadener Help

Well, Im putting my system together soon enough, and I wanted to go ahead and get sound deadening outta the way, before I start running wires and such.

I was thinking about getting about 80Sq. Ft. of eDead v1, since I can get it for .80 a foot. How does that sound?

Also was thinking about getting a quart of eDead v3, does this sound like a good idea?

I wanted to get some advice on this, and to know if you have used or had experience with either one of this products? If so, how would you rate it?

Also would like to know, if I decide to go ahead and get those, would I put down the liquid deadener first? or the peel and seel?

Thanks in advance!

(Just Completely Started Over!)
    HeadUnit: Kenwood eXcelon KDC-x889
    Front Stage: Crystal Mobile Sound SSX615
    Front Stage Amp: Kicker ZX200.2

Refs: Team H&K, CLbolt, TeamPSI, JCO1385, Reson8

Verified Paypal User!!!

Dingleberry is offline pǝʇǝ1ǝp ǝʌıʇǝ1dxǝ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sound Deadener Help

Anything vertical use second skin damplifier. Then use peel and seal for everything else.

2000LaDe is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Great New Forum CLICK ME!
    www.soundcheckcustoms.com/audioforum

WrenchGuy is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

V1 is sticky and stays but isn't very thick. BXT is a great option. If I had a fancy car to do I would Second Skin.

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

I second Raamat BXT for a budget oriented install.

If you haven't already, read this...

www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

porksoda is offline Dakota GOD!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is a write up i did on eDead. Its I like it. Good luck man! Later,

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302674

My truck build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/111744-1998-dodge-dakota-build/page__pid__1565536#entry1565536

FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Asphalt-based peal n seal is not "deadener." In fact, it's very aptly named...peal and seal...and can do quite well for that purpose. Petrolium-based asphalt is hardly viscoelactic and doesn't do very well at converting mechanical enegy to thermal energy (which "deadener" is supposed to do).

Furthermore, anything with a mylar plastic constraining layer is going to perform pretty lousy in the damping department a) as it has such low integrity and b) is not rigid (thus doesn't constrain).

Also, if the damping product...liquid or mat...doesn't maintain a semi-permanent bond to the surface for the life if the vehicle, it's not a good investment.

This is what mylar plastic backed peal-n-seal (once sold as eDead by ED) looks like as it is being pulled off a hatch floor after it has failed miserably, both at adhering to and damping the sheet metal....

Even the poorest quality aluminum-backed butylene rubber "sound deadeners" won't rip apart like that.

TEAM Front Fill

The Fox audiomobile now sounds more quality thanks to SDS power.

The most expensive solution is the one that doesn't do the job correctly. ~ Me

dragnix is offline LXIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dingleberry View Post
    Anything vertical use second skin damplifier. Then use peel and seal for everything else.
    no
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxPro5 View Post
    Asphalt-based peal n seal is not "deadener." In fact, it's very aptly named...peal and seal...and can do quite well for that purpose. Petrolium-based asphalt is hardly viscoelactic and doesn't do very well at converting mechanical enegy to thermal energy (which "deadener" is supposed to do).

Furthermore, anything with a mylar plastic constraining layer is going to perform pretty lousy in the damping department a) as it has such low integrity and b) is not rigid (thus doesn't constrain).

Also, if the damping product...liquid or mat...doesn't maintain a semi-permanent bond to the surface for the life if the vehicle, it's not a good investment.

This is what mylar plastic backed peal-n-seal (once sold as eDead by ED) looks like as it is being pulled off a hatch floor after it has failed miserably, both at adhering to and damping the sheet metal....

Even the poorest quality aluminum-backed butylene rubber "sound deadeners" won't rip apart like that.
    nice. Now you should go make some deadener and sell it

Got a pm regarding my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic
    please change it to something non-******. thankyou.

FoxPro5 is offline Causal wanderer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't have to. Some really smart engineers have already developed highly functional and effective CLD systems for cars. They typically cost more money, but they do a better job. Therefore, don't buy "deadener," buy effective damping materials and your investment will go much, much further.

I've searched and searched and haven't been able find and ASTM e-756 rating on peal n seal. The American Society of Engineers has tests for damping materials and they are done using a cantilever that vibrates at certain freqs. With this method, you can ascertain the damping product's DLF (damping loss factor.) http://engineers.ihs.com/document/ab...NOIBAAAAAAAAAA

The fact that you cannot find DLF figures for peal n seal (or asphalt-based vibration damping materials) tells me it's not "deadener." Just my $.02. Maybe some numbers exist? I don't know for sure.

One final thing to keep in mind here is that vibration damping is frequency and temperature dependent. Most are going to perform their best right around room temp (70* F). As the temp goes down, the damping ability does down. As temp increases beyond 70*, damping ability drops off - but not as fast as colder temps.

Question: How well do you think a super-cheap, plastic-backed sheet of petroleum-based sicky black goo is going to perform when it's 0* or 150* inside your door or on the floor??

TEAM Front Fill

The Fox audiomobile now sounds more quality thanks to SDS power.

The most expensive solution is the one that doesn't do the job correctly. ~ Me

Closed Thread