Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Question about going back and forth between series and para wiring. please help

vehementSPL is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question about going back and forth between series and para wiring. please help

Now before anybody says anything... This is a stupid question blah blah blah. now shut up. I am have admitted I am very new to the electrical point of view on car audio. now to the point..

Does this hurt anything. To me I wouldn't think so. I just installed some pioneer tsw307' 12's with 200 watts each. I can clank the hell out of the subs on some low notes. And it isn't a constant clank... It is like a pulsing off and on. The subs are way under powered in a 4th order. Can't go into enclosure details but the sealed chamber is 1.33 cubes for each sub. i had one of these in 1 cube on the sealed side with 600 rms going to it and NO clanking from the sub.. KKinda confused. Somebody had mentioned doing that with the wiring can cause nonlinear movement . The subs are all wired in series to 1 ohm each. then para up to 3 ohm per set of 3 then series at the 1 amp to 1 ohm. Any ideas why this may be.

snoopdan is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1374 Post(s)

Re: Question about going back and forth between series and para wiring. please help

"clanking" as in a mechanical noise ? Sounds like they're bottoming out, perhaps due to subsonic filter not being adjusted properly. Without being able to hear the problem its hard to diagnose.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Question about going back and forth between series and para wiring. please help

Quote Originally Posted by snoopdan View Post
    "clanking" as in a mechanical noise ? Sounds like they're bottoming out, perhaps due to subsonic filter not being adjusted properly. Without being able to hear the problem its hard to diagnose.
    Well that is what I am saying. I am pretty sure they are bottoming out. I have been too tired to trace it down. But what would cause that. They are way under powered and the rear chamber is sealed obviously . I had triple the power to one of them in a box very similar to this one and never clanked on lows. Back in the day I had two audiobahn aw1200's ported. I had 300 watts each and they sounded like they were bottoming out. added double power it went away. I think I have read somewhere that under high excursion with low power a sub can shift and smack the top plate. Either way this is pissing me off considering the 600 watts and 1st box was 1 cube on the sealed. and now I have 9 of them sharing 11.5 cubes (1.27 cubes each). 1/3rd of the power and clanking... Why didn't it with more power? I just dont' see .25 cubes sealed reducing the mechanical power handling 75 percent

audioarsonal is offline JaMarcus

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I agree with Snoopdan it sounds like your SSF filter and your tuning don't match.Try playing some test tones at lower freq.
    How wide of a bandwidth is the 4th order.

Bought from:whiteram,Pyro_by_nature,AudioXtremes,Slab,IA2
    Sold to:annarbor84,ssackett,tapout383
    built for:skeptikal,Raid3r89
    SHADY SELLER:memphisman00
    Subs:4 Incriminator Audio Death Row 15's
    amps: Memphis 4K
    154.8@34hz

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audioarsonal View Post
    I agree with Snoopdan it sounds like your SSF filter and your tuning don't match.Try playing some test tones at lower freq.
    How wide of a bandwidth is the 4th order.
    My friends. I understand about the subsonic. I know. I do have it rock bottom. BUT are you telling me I couldn't run 200 watts to this sub in a sealed enclosure without a subsonic.........

audioarsonal is offline JaMarcus

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Maybe its not air tight???I had a 15 in a sealed enclosure(at least I thought).When I would play something with heavy bass it would sound like the sub was bottoming out.Come to find out it had a leak and was forcing all there air out.
    As for the SSF at "rock bottom" it wouldn't be cutting out almost any freq.We were implying you may need to turn it up!
    This is a 4th order BP right??

Bought from:whiteram,Pyro_by_nature,AudioXtremes,Slab,IA2
    Sold to:annarbor84,ssackett,tapout383
    built for:skeptikal,Raid3r89
    SHADY SELLER:memphisman00
    Subs:4 Incriminator Audio Death Row 15's
    amps: Memphis 4K
    154.8@34hz

2002XLT is offline Thats right bishes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

my buddies box isnt airtight and everytime his sub hits the 2 pieces of wood hit and make a clacking noise. Might check it..

Refs-
    http://forums.explorerx.com/index.php?showtopic=11984
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245865 http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...59#post3482859
    Ebay Feedback- http://myworld.ebay.com/lilchard1969/

Vehicle-
    2002 Explorer XLT
    R1 Concepts Cross drilled/slotted rotors w/ performance pads, K&N FIPK Intake, Removed roof racks, Debadged, Tinted tails, Clear Corners, Upper and lower Billet Grilles,5% Tint all the way around

Stereo- All stock.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2002XLT View Post
    my buddies box isnt airtight and everytime his sub hits the 2 pieces of wood hit and make a clacking noise. Might check it..
    I wondered about maybe a brace in the box broke loose. You know honestly the fiberglass wasn't completely dry on the braces in the sealed chamber thinking about it (sorry haven't had much sleep in last 96 hours) Hmmm will have to try a real low note one more time today to see if it does it. scares me though. I hate doing that. It has to be hard on the former and coil. . And yes it is a 4th order bp

Immacomputer is offline Cloud disappear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

It's hard to tell without being there but I really doubt the subs are bottoming out. You may have some wired wrong and that could be causing issues though. It also could be a panel that didn't quite bond to another piece. That can make a violent and loud "clanking" sound that could sound like the subs are bottoming out.

Can you get pictures as to how the subs are wired to themselves and to the others? Definitely check for loose bracing or panels first though.

Video 1
    I may make you feel but I can't make you think.
    Your sperm's in the gutter -- your love's in the sink.
    Video 2

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well we tested each set of 3 and they came out to the correct ohm. and to sets of 1 as well and still the correct ohm. on the sets of 3. They are wiring daisy chained down. One master pos coming into the end sub and one master neg coming into the opposite end. They are linked in between. Now in a series circuit I would believe that either the 3 subs wouldn't work or the ohm would test wrong. Ohm tests perfect AND we took a 9 volt battery and battery popped sets of 3 at a time and all were phased correctly. . I wonder if it is a panel of the box. Also maybe the supports in the sealed portion of the box before the fiberglass set. I will take it out again today and look at the subs moving on lows and let ya guys know for sure. thanks for help

Closed Thread

User Tag List