Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Well Crap! Possible serious issue with Alpine HU?

Aurorav8 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well Crap! Possible serious issue with Alpine HU?

Ok, here's the story. My wife, being the sweetheart that she is decided to surprise me and take my car, and her money and go buy me the Alpine CDA-9813 from Circuit City, they had it on sale here for $349.00, BUT...She had them install it.

I got to looking at it, on the outside it looked to be installed decently. But got to reading the booklet and it recommended running a fuse directly to the battery. So, I checked the wires leading from the deck, and CC did NOT fuse it...it's just running off the wiring harness...is this a major problem?

I am just running stock speakers as of now, will not fusing it damage the speakers since I'm still running stock speakers?

I don't want to fry the internal amp because CC won't follow simple directions.

I love my wife to death, and she had good intentions....but she had Circuit City install it for christ sakes.

Do I need to fix this? Or should I just drive the car back to CC and have them hook it up correctly?

mattj is offline Resonant Engineering

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well that deck has v-drive. v-drive is the option that where you hook power directly to the battery, you get around 60x4 peak to your speakers. hooking it up through the harness is no problem at all, its just you limit your power to, i believe, 45x4 peak.

if you hooked your v-drive up, you would need a fuse. but it is fine the way it is right now and shouldnt cause any problems whatsoever.

(SUMMER)
    2001 Ford Mustang GT Premium
    Mach460
    Alpine CDA-9835
    KnuKonceptz Wiring

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good to know.

I'm a newbie, obviously, and have had quite a few questions over the past few days...I may as well add to that list.

I plan on upgrading the system in the next few weeks. I will be adding new component speakers, and a 12" Sub and amp. When I do this, will I need to rewire the head unit so I am getting the full potential out of the internal amp?

And this v-drive that you mentioned...is this something that is already a part of the Alpine HU? Also, what does it entail when wanting to hook it up to get the full potential out of the internal amp on the HU?

How do you "hook up" the v-drive? Is it just a wire running from the HU to the battery, with a fuse in between?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    for running v-drive... you hook a 12 guage wire from the back of your deck directly to the positive end of your battery. it allows the head unit to draw more power allowing for more output which is 60x4.

as for rewiring it for your new system, you will have to pull it out so you can run the RCAs and remote (blue and/or blue with white stripe) into the back of the unit

if you are running component speakers alone... you shouldnt have to worry about the vdrive because its not going to do any good without it pushing out power to the speakers. i had my 7894 with vdrive without vdrive for a while, then with... its not that big of a difference.

(SUMMER)
    Mach460
    Alpine CDA-9835
    KnuKonceptz Wiring

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Aurorav8
    Good to know.

I'm a newbie, obviously, and have had quite a few questions over the past few days...I may as well add to that list.

I plan on upgrading the system in the next few weeks. I will be adding new component speakers, and a 12" Sub and amp. When I do this, will I need to rewire the head unit so I am getting the full potential out of the internal amp?

And this v-drive that you mentioned...is this something that is already a part of the Alpine HU? Also, what does it entail when wanting to hook it up to get the full potential out of the internal amp on the HU?

How do you "hook up" the v-drive? Is it just a wire running from the HU to the battery, with a fuse in between?

When you wire an amp to a hu, you will be using the per-out (RCA) so you won't be needing any modifications on the internal amp. Besides, internal amps are crap with power. Bridging internal amps are not recommended either by mftrs, installers or anyone here with knowledge.

p.s. your wife has gotten a pretty neat headunit Man, I wanna get married too...

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by paikiah
    Man, I wanna get married too...
    no you dont..

(SUMMER)
    Mach460
    Alpine CDA-9835
    KnuKonceptz Wiring

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by mattj
    no you dont..

Well, I told her that I was pretty interested in getting that HU? Imagine my surprise when I jumped in my car this morning, expecting to crank up the stock system ....still stock, but sounds a bit better with this HU!

So, it's not recommended to run component speakers off the HU? Is there a way to bypass the internal amp if I go and get a small amp for the component speakers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    no you dont..

matt, you're 19... don't think you're married yet, are you?

Sure, I've ehard a lot of pure horror stories, but dang, it's all worth it when a woman you have devoted your life to come home one day to give you the third most devoted thing (second being a child) in your life. How good is that?

I sure hope my wife makes some silly mistakes, then go out and purchase a full load of audio stuff as a sign of apology. :p

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I sure hope my wife makes some silly mistakes, then go out and purchase a full load of audio stuff as a sign of apology.
    Well I'm all good with it as long as she doesn't decide to go to CC tomorrow and get a full audio system from them...I'm afraid of what i will have installed when i jump in the car tomorrow morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, I told her that I was pretty interested in getting that HU? Imagine my surprise when I jumped in my car this morning, expecting to crank up the stock system ....still stock, but sounds a bit better with this HU!

So, it's not recommended to run component speakers off the HU? Is there a way to bypass the internal amp if I go and get a small amp for the component speakers?
    alpine has a feature where you can either run stock internal amp or external amps. i forgot the name.. ill think of it later.

(SUMMER)
    Mach460
    Alpine CDA-9835
    KnuKonceptz Wiring

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I'm all good with it as long as she doesn't decide to go to CC tomorrow and get a full audio system from them...I'm afraid of what i will have installed when i jump in the car tomorrow morning.
    You could drop her some hints... like how you'd like to install your own stuff, that you wanna learn mroe about stereo's.. and leaving car audio mages open with the stuff YOu want.. (circle it with a highlight to maximise effect).

If you're getting the sub from RE, then print out their website and highlight THAT one...:P

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    no you dont..

i married when i was 19......wish i had waited till i was a bit older.....if your thinking about getting married while young....i suggest waiting a few mor years......

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I also married when I was 19. Had 2 kids, got married...I wished I would have waited too, on the kids and the marriage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I'm turning 26 next month...

probably tie the knot next year, after setting up my office. Until then, it's gonna have to be a price issue, not quality issue.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

awalbert88 is offline Blame Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by paikiah
    I sure hope my wife makes some silly mistakes, then go out and purchase a full load of audio stuff as a sign of apology. :p
    I don't know what you've been smoking, but when women make mistakes, the men always end up appologizing for doing something wrong. That's how it always seems to work.

JL Audio 12W7, JBL BP300.1

1993 Mercury Capri XR2
    1998 Ford Mustang
    1989 Audi 100 Quattro
    2000 Buick Regal GS

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast