Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need help ASAP! Wiring 4 D2s and 2 D4s!

86yota is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Need help ASAP! Wiring 4 D2s and 2 D4s!

Trying to wire 4 D2s and 2 D4s to 1 ohm, or the closest. My buddy told me it would wire down to .875 or so, and to wire them all in series. Is this right? Is there any other way to do it? Need help ASAP!!!

86yota is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need help ASAP! Wiring 4 D2s and 2 D4s!

bump. does nobody know how to wire these?

PatFitz9 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

Are you wiring 6 speakers all together? i'm not sure if that's a good idea. while you may have a final ohm load that works with the amp, the D2's wouldn't be getting the same power as the D4's.

refs...
    twoohfour, PRIVATEpastry, hellomota, DBfan187, etznova, iamamp3pimp, btnhfan, XylerB, Digital B, Showrides, Thunder9500, Termlab, fawd06, PepsiFiend69, bholtmeier, Megalomaniac, bjfish11, j3bus2k3, probmxstyle, brigante, massiveaudiocw, JoeHemi57, BigRed98Ram, inapontiac, CFaber, VarsityBumper, 3.5Max6spd, Geezerpoop, phatcat600, Pimpdaddyq, XaznKewLguyX, ABSOLUTEAUDIO, lslugz, mgbcs, TeZ, mazdakid, Reson8, LaserRed38

mojobass is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

ya it even says on rf.com wiring wizard not to mix vc config subs!

HU: Pioneer AVH-P4900DVD
    Speakers: Kicker KS
    Sub: 15" RE Audio XXX new style
    Box: 6.0cuft tuned to 38hz
    Amp: US Amps MD2D
    Electrical: Big 3, Die Hard Platinum and Kinetik HC2000
    Team DTP
    Shake The Living, Wake The Dead
    Refs: KINGDELL91, Zeuslicious
    Refs on ROE: Maf Films, tv559

sandbags is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

thats a retarded idea, sell the dual 2s

SPL Blazer is offline SPL Event Promoter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PatFitz9 View Post
    Are you wiring 6 speakers all together? i'm not sure if that's a good idea. while you may have a final ohm load that works with the amp, the D2's wouldn't be getting the same power as the D4's.
    The final ohm load at the amp is what determines how much power it's going to send to the subs, mixing different voice coil configurations shouldn't change anything as far as power. A 1000 watt dual 4 ohm sub and a 1000 watt dual 2 ohm sub would both be getting the same power as the other one, the difference is how you wire them to the amp. One way would draw more power from the amp than the other would. But you can mix the voice coils if you want, you just have to know exactly how to wire them. If you have a DMM you can always try different wiring configurations and measure the resistance at the speaker wires going into the box. If the ohms are a good match for the amp then let them pound.

Your only real options would be a .2, .6 or .8 ohm load, so unless your amp is stable to .5 ohms I wouldn't waste the time. And I believe that Rockford says not to mix them because it's not always a simple process when your trying to mix VC configurations and you could damage the subs or amp if hooked up wrong, telling you not to saves them the hassle of noobs trying to get their gear replaced under warranty.

Walled Astro, 4 DC Audio 18" XL's _____________________www.NewEnglandSPL.com
    1 Hifonics Sampson - 157.7 so far

Bought from: CRXBMPN, SPLTucson, f150john, LoudMOFO Sold To: Chris Team ACT, Big Rea$e

Immacomputer is offline Cloud disappear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SPL Blazer View Post
    The final ohm load at the amp is what determines how much power it's going to send to the subs, mixing different voice coil configurations shouldn't change anything as far as power. A 1000 watt dual 4 ohm sub and a 1000 watt dual 2 ohm sub would both be getting the same power as the other one, the difference is how you wire them to the amp. One way would draw more power from the amp than the other would. But you can mix the voice coils if you want, you just have to know exactly how to wire them. If you have a DMM you can always try different wiring configurations and measure the resistance at the speaker wires going into the box. If the ohms are a good match for the amp then let them pound.

Your only real options would be a .2, .6 or .8 ohm load, so unless your amp is stable to .5 ohms I wouldn't waste the time. And I believe that Rockford says not to mix them because it's not always a simple process when your trying to mix VC configurations and you could damage the subs or amp if hooked up wrong, telling you not to saves them the hassle of noobs trying to get their gear replaced under warranty.
    Bullshit.

That is just not true at all and completely misleading. First off, the different voice coil options for subs in a like series will have different T/S parameters and they will act differently in the same enclosure so that is one reason not to do it.

The main reason is like mentioned before, each voice coil would see a different power, depending on how they are wired. In electronics, power is equal to the voltage times the current and can also be in terms of current and resistance:

P = I*V
    P = IČ*R

If you have a circuit that has two resistors in series and one is a 2 ohm resistor and the other is a 4 ohm resistor, they would have a different voltage drop in the circuit and the 4 ohm resistor would take twice as much power as the 2 ohm resistor. This happens because current (I) is constant with loads in series and voltage is constant when loads are in parallel. Either way, it spells bad news for equal power dissipation.

The same thing would happen in this situation. The only way to lower that chance would be to wire all of the D4 coils in parallel and then wire each DVC 2 ohm sub's coils separately. But again, I would not recommend using two subs with different coil configurations because the parameters are going to be different.

Video 1
    I may make you feel but I can't make you think.
    Your sperm's in the gutter -- your love's in the sink.
    Video 2

ke6960 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immacomputer View Post
    First off, the different voice coil options for subs in a like series will have different T/S parameters and they will act differently in the same enclosure so that is one reason not to do it.

good point but he didn't say if they were all in one box, or seperate boxes, or seperated boxes within a box.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Irrelevant.

Video 1
    Video 2

lilmaniac2 is offline Ask Me about SI Mag V4!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immacomputer View Post
    Bullshit.

That is just not true at all and completely misleading. First off, the different voice coil options for subs in a like series will have different T/S parameters and they will act differently in the same enclosure so that is one reason not to do it.

The main reason is like mentioned before, each voice coil would see a different power, depending on how they are wired. In electronics, power is equal to the voltage times the current and can also be in terms of current and resistance:

P = I*V
    P = IČ*R

If you have a circuit that has two resistors in series and one is a 2 ohm resistor and the other is a 4 ohm resistor, they would have a different voltage drop in the circuit and the 4 ohm resistor would take twice as much power as the 2 ohm resistor. This happens because current (I) is constant with loads in series and voltage is constant when loads are in parallel. Either way, it spells bad news for equal power dissipation.

The same thing would happen in this situation. The only way to lower that chance would be to wire all of the D4 coils in parallel and then wire each DVC 2 ohm sub's coils separately. But again, I would not recommend using two subs with different coil configurations because the parameters are going to be different.

werd, also current follows the path of least resistance so it would go through the lower impedence subs first, depending on how the wiring was and then the subs that were wired at the higher impedence would get less power

SPL Blazer is offline SPL Event Promoter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lilmaniac2 View Post
    werd, also current follows the path of least resistance so it would go through the lower impedence subs first, depending on how the wiring was and then the subs that were wired at the higher impedence would get less power
    That makes sense, hadn't thought of that.

Walled Astro, 4 DC Audio 18" XL's _____________________www.NewEnglandSPL.com
    1 Hifonics Sampson - 157.7 so far

Bought from: CRXBMPN, SPLTucson, f150john, LoudMOFO Sold To: Chris Team ACT, Big Rea$e

J31Rob is offline CarTune Netwerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    397 Post(s)

smh.

they let you people on teams.

the FUNK / facebook.com/The.Funk.765
    CarTune Netwerk / facebook.com/cartune.netwerk0

Alpine / Sundown Audio / Sound Solutions Audio
    Audio Technix / CT Sounds / Execution Audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lilmaniac2 View Post
    While current takes the path of least resistance, it doesn't mean that it travels first to the lower impedance. It does, however, channel more current though lower impedances if the impedances are in parallel and thus lower impedances will receive more current and more power. But when in series, the higher impedances will give more power because the current is constant.

Video 1
    Video 2

Closed Thread

User Tag List