Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

home subs - car subs?

alright, im getting ready to move into a new house and I was thinking once i get all my car stuff set (actually a never-ending thing) i wanna start some decent room system stuff. Now what would be the difference between me buying jbl - us acoustics amps to power lets say a RE HC or something of that sort in a ported box, vs. a home audio sub, powered by home audio amps? I was thinking of buying a tempest, heard they were good for home audio, but someone tell me whats up...

2x JBL 1200.1 for sale...

AIM- Mgaidica

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If I remember anything, it's adire's dealer telling me that all of adire's products were initally made for home audio. I'm sure the driver itself has no problems. The problem might be acquiring the right amps. Adire and a hots of other places sell amps that can be installed in the box itself. THe tempest does look mean.

How about tumult though? THey are supposed to have more xmax than brahmas...

you'll probably rearrange the tiles on the roof, but dang, it'll pound, don't you think?

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

evo2k3 is offline Senior Bizznitch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: home subs - car subs?

Originally posted by mgaidica
    alright, im getting ready to move into a new house and I was thinking once i get all my car stuff set (actually a never-ending thing) i wanna start some decent room system stuff. Now what would be the difference between me buying jbl - us acoustics amps to power lets say a RE HC or something of that sort in a ported box, vs. a home audio sub, powered by home audio amps? I was thinking of buying a tempest, heard they were good for home audio, but someone tell me whats up...
    the only real difference in amps is the power they run on.....(ac vs dc), a lot of people run home subs in cars and vica versa....It used to be that home subs were in much larger boxes because they had the room, but since the trend in car audio right now is big and ported, thats very similar to the home audio use. Most of the equipment works somewhat similarly, I belive one of the biggest differences (and someone correct me if I am wrong) is most of the speakers are 8 ohm rather that the "standard" 4 ohm varience we see in mid range drivers.

I'm back to stock in my new car.....

mgaidica is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeh, i was thinking just get one of those power things to convert power and just use that to power car audio amps. I was thinking adire audio, they all look nice. How about box's, are they designed any different in home audio applications, cause obviously the sound is going to travel much further...

AIM- Mgaidica

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Re: home subs - car subs?

Originally posted by evo2k3
    the only real difference in amps is the power they run on.....(ac vs dc), a lot of people run home subs in cars and vica versa....It used to be that home subs were in much larger boxes because they had the room, but since the trend in car audio right now is big and ported, thats very similar to the home audio use. Most of the equipment works somewhat similarly, I belive one of the biggest differences (and someone correct me if I am wrong) is most of the speakers are 8 ohm rather that the "standard" 4 ohm varience we see in mid range drivers.
    bear in mind that there are a lot of 6ohm drivers for home use as well..

for technical reference, I'd stick to Jlaine's opinions.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    yeh, i was thinking just get one of those power things to convert power and just use that to power car audio amps. I was thinking adire audio, they all look nice. How about box's, are they designed any different in home audio applications, cause obviously the sound is going to travel much further...
    an AC to DC converter that can give out more than 50 amps while keeping quiet might:

1. be hard to find

2. Expensive.

I wanted to try it myself, but the power converter is keeping me from doing anything right now. Could try battery chargers, there was a talk on it some time back. As for ground, instead of having wires that run all the way out your window to the garden, you could also use water pipes. They are buried underground too.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

nick3470 is offline Ballin' on a Budget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have a sub that is part of my surround sound system that runs at 4 ohm, but like all the other speakers run at 8 ohm

jlaine is offline Vaporware

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: home subs - car subs?

You'll need a beefy 12V power supply to throw out the amount of power you'll likely be after in-house. I suggest you follow current trends and look toward pro audio amps - the QSC RMX 850 goes for an average of 299 shipped online, and offers you 850W at 4 ohm mono, Behringer has some serious power coming out soon for very little also...

But... If you are going with a tempest, give it about 8 cubes, tuned to around 18hz, watch it dislodge all of your earthly posessions in the house - with about 300W...

In the case of the tempest, I'd suggest a 250W plate amp - if you go nuts with a Tumult - throw some power on it and hang on...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Re: home subs - car subs?

Originally posted by jlaine
    You'll need a beefy 12V power supply to throw out the amount of power you'll likely be after in-house. I suggest you follow current trends and look toward pro audio amps - the QSC RMX 850 goes for an average of 299 shipped online, and offers you 850W at 4 ohm mono, Behringer has some serious power coming out soon for very little also...

But... If you are going with a tempest, give it about 8 cubes, tuned to around 18hz, watch it dislodge all of your earthly posessions in the house - with about 300W...

In the case of the tempest, I'd suggest a 250W plate amp - if you go nuts with a Tumult - throw some power on it and hang on...
    would the twod river that you just mentioned be just as awesome in the car as in the home? I mean, serious SPL numbers?

Let's say I give the tumult (or a brhma) about 600w RMS... would it shake the ground or just be another normal driver?

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

Matador is offline -= StillBumping =-

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i mean u can just wire a DVC 4 into 8ohm.s
    i was thinkin of doing the same, but it might be better to get a home amp, or a receiver with some power. i think it might be cheaper or cost almost hte same as getting another amp n ac/dc converter.

i m still unsure on hooking up speaker wire just from a home stereo. if it has subwoofer outputs, yeah not bad. if not kinda weir.d

mgaidica is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well on the possitive side, my parents would help me with some of it cause they feel bad for me cause im moving, heh, and i could always swap car/home stuff. The only negative is that i have to throw out 169$ for a power house thing..

AIM- Mgaidica

ASDF12345 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    all you need is a 120 volt to 12 volt power supply. radio shackmay have them, if not, someone there should be able to tell you how to make one.

DiB
    DiB is offline Meber

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I run this myself:
    http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_csultra.htm

I think you could get nice sound from a car sub because the only difference other then price that I can see if frequency response. If you don't care about being an audiophile and getting down to 10hz then a car sub should be more then sufficient.

Audio N00B is offline ...And Justice For All

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Anyone ever deal with the Parts Express 272 watt plate amplifier?
    Looks pretty promising for the price.

Derp.

Closed Thread

User Tag List