Closed Thread

Reload Thread: JL Audio Sub Question

wilmo is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

JL Audio Sub Question

I just installed two 10" JL Audio 10w3's in my car. I used a store bought sealed box and it sounds pretty good, but, (here's the problem) when I watch both subs with the volume up, one moves (bounces) alot more than the other. I checked all outside connections. I checked RCA's at the amp, Speaker wire at the Amp, and the speaker wire at the box. I know it's getting some juice, because when I unplugged the weak speaker at the box I heard some drop-off in sound (bass). I have done some installs in the past, but it has been a while. I was a little confused by the Dual Voice Coils on the Subs. There were 4 Plugs on each side of the Sub (two + and two -) (for a total of eight). I'm running them at four ohms. According to the directions I should have connected one positive and one negative to each other, with the other two (postive and negative) going to the connector and out of the box. As far as the two it says to hook together(+ and -), should I connect both the postive and negative sides of the speaker wire to one side and in turn do the same on the other side of the speaker or do i just need one half of my speaker wire to connect a postive and a negative? I know sounds very confusing, drawing a picture would be much easier. Am I trying to address something that may not be the problem? Any help would be great. Thanks, Steve

natem33 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I used a DVC sub I only used one set of + and - terminals (I only used on voice coil). I did nothing with the other voice coil. I'm not sure of any benifits to connecting the other set of speaker terminals together, but I can't imagine that it would make a difference. I don't think that this is your problem. You said that you have a pre fabbed box - does this box have one or two chambers? If there is two chambers is it possible that one is leaking air? Another possibility is that your amp may have a weaker channel. Try swapping the speaker wires at the amp so that the subs have traded places with the amp. My last theory is that maybe your subs are out of phase. If this were true, one sub would appear to move more inward while the other is moving outward. If this is the case then swap the positive and negative connection for that sub. My last attempt would be to swap the subs positions in the box. If the same sub still appears to be weaker then it would be safe to assume that the sub itself is to blame. If you have a warranty, try exchanging for a new sub, otherwise I don't forsee a huge loss in performance other than a little less air movement. The only possibly dangerous condition that I can think of for your weak sub is an overheating voice coil that is restricting the movement of the sub, but that is a long shot. Good luck.

Unregistered Guest

sounds like one speaker is out of phase.....

mr.cableboi is offline Pimp Of The Year

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

jl

Yea one of my friends has that same poblem. What amp are you using?

RockFord Fosgate owns

wilmo is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My amp is a Sony Xplod XM-2252HX. When you say out of phase do you mean I have a positve and negative switched? Thanks, Steve

Unregistered Guest

maby one speaker is in normal phase and the other speaker in reversed phase.
    The speaker that is moving more when turned up is probably wired backwards, I would check that first

natem33 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by wilmo
    My amp is a Sony Xplod XM-2252HX. When you say out of phase do you mean I have a positve and negative switched? Thanks, Steve
    Your subs are probobly hooked up properly as far as + to + and - to -. Switch one so that it is + to - and + to - from the sub connection to the amp connection. That is, IF your subs are out of phase. If not, your sound will suffer a little more and you will need to reswitch the wires back to normal.

Closed Thread