Closed Thread

Reload Thread: can i bypass the headunit and go straight from my mp3 player to the amp?

shirazd is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 can i bypass the headunit and go straight from my mp3 player to the amp?

Hi there,

I just bought an old car. It has a crappy tape deck in it with crappy speakers. I want to re-do the whole audio system.

I was wondering -- I have an 8 gig MP3 player which I use for my music. I don't use CDs anymore and I have no use for the radio. Can I skip buying the head unit and run my MP3 player (from the headphone jack) straight into the amp?

I only wonder about impedance. The volume would be controlled by my MP3 player, or perhaps I can get an amp with a remote control for the volume?

Has anyone tried this? I'm not just trying to be cheap -- I really have no need for a head unit. It would just be something I'd have to bother carrying the faceplate around for so that it didn't get stolen.

Thanks for your insights,

Shiraz

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: can i bypass the headunit and go straight from my mp3 player to the amp?

Sure.

Alpine actually has come out with a single-DIN unit that makes things a little less cluttered and gives you better control over the volume/track being played...the one problem with what you described is being able to control the player safely while not taking your eyes off the road too much.

kurtdirt1 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah youcould just run your mp3 player...you just have have some way to turn the amp on and off with...along with an amp for your mids/highs

People come, people go
    Some grow young, some grow cold
    I woke up in between
    A memory and a dream

So let's get to the point, let's roll another joint
    Let's head on down the road
    There's somewhere I gotta go

kurtdirt1 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I personally wouldn't rec it though...kinda not the best way to do it...just my .02 though...a friend of mine did it and well, idk, i didn't like it..kinda pointless IMO

People come, people go
    Some grow young, some grow cold
    I woke up in between
    A memory and a dream

So let's get to the point, let's roll another joint
    Let's head on down the road
    There's somewhere I gotta go

vehementSPL is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shirazd View Post
    Hi there,

I just bought an old car. It has a crappy tape deck in it with crappy speakers. I want to re-do the whole audio system.

I was wondering -- I have an 8 gig MP3 player which I use for my music. I don't use CDs anymore and I have no use for the radio. Can I skip buying the head unit and run my MP3 player (from the headphone jack) straight into the amp?

I only wonder about impedance. The volume would be controlled by my MP3 player, or perhaps I can get an amp with a remote control for the volume?

Has anyone tried this? I'm not just trying to be cheap -- I really have no need for a head unit. It would just be something I'd have to bother carrying the faceplate around for so that it didn't get stolen.

Thanks for your insights,

Personally I only tried this once with my friends IPOD cause we wanted to hear how some songs sounded on my system that he had on his IPOD> even max volume on ipod (with my amp) and honestly only got about 30 percent as loud as it usually was. Now in your situation might work.

mile098 is offline ohhh noeeeesss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

use a 3.5 mm/rca cable to get the signal to the amp and add a switch into the cabin from the bat to the amp for remote...although i dont think the sound will be that great IMO

HU: kenwood 7534 uy
    front stage: Phase evolution cfs 165
    amp 1: Macaudio fearless 2000
    sub stage:Hifonics Zeus 12z4
    amp 2: rockford fosgate bd 1000.1

ssj2xxgotenxx is offline The Chan Man

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ever consider using one of those, "Tape to 3.5mm" converters :P

JK, welcome back to 1996 =D

you'll end up spending some extra cash on a line out as well... not a good idea.

Loserpunk [Buyer]

Kevokrook77 [Buyer] x2
    HCCAfan [Buyer]
    PRIVATEpastry [Seller]
    Trevor87 [Seller]
    Manosteel916 [Buyer]
    Vosschs [Buyer]
    jaberocs [Buyer]
    6spdcoupe [Buyer]
    Klepto [Seller]
    XxSuperAdamxX [Seller]
    kpozr2 [Buyer]

shirazd is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

lol...

What I don't get is that theoretically at least, sound quality should be, if anything, *better* going from the mp3 player to the amp, shouldn't it?

mile098 is offline ohhh noeeeesss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^^no

HU: kenwood 7534 uy
    front stage: Phase evolution cfs 165
    amp 1: Macaudio fearless 2000
    sub stage:Hifonics Zeus 12z4
    amp 2: rockford fosgate bd 1000.1

Blove1991 is offline Single Cabin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For the remote wire I would just run it in with a fuse that only gets power when the ignition is on......Use a test light and find a fuse that doesn't get power when ignition is off, but does when the ignition is on.

Daily: 94 POS Accord

Project: 86 2dr Chevy Blazer

Refs: BMXbikes, Wragold, Tommyk, ThumpinTitan, NewAgeKing, BushJ311, l7runner, jco1385, Big Joker, SPY, xxxbasshead

Immacomputer is offline Cloud disappear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shirazd View Post
    lol...

What I don't get is that theoretically at least, sound quality should be, if anything, *better* going from the mp3 player to the amp, shouldn't it?
    You lose a ton of processing capabilities that headunits carry so no, it won't sound better. Many mp3 players have pretty poor quality sound; I have yet to be impressed with any of them, especially not the ipods.

A problem you will probably have is getting proper input voltage for your amp(s). You will more than likely need to get a line out converter to get proper levels and maybe some external crossover and EQ setup (if you plan on going the full system route).

Video 1
    I may make you feel but I can't make you think.
    Your sperm's in the gutter -- your love's in the sink.
    Video 2

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

You wont likely find an mp3 player with with the signal voltage output a h/u is capable of. Therefore you will experience what vehement described, dramatic loss in output ability.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

LaserRed38 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A buddy of mine did something similar on his Kawasaki. Mounted two 5.25 RF coaxials on his front fairings, mounted a tiny 2ch amp under the seat, and used the RCA-headphone jack cable to his mp3 player...and...it made sound. That's all I'll say...

2005 Escape XLT Sport
    Alpine CDA-9835 - Audison LRx5.1k - Hertz MLK 2 TM - Hertz ML1600 - Hertz HX300
    Audison Wiring - Optima Red Top - Dynamat Extreme
    Refs
    [Bought from] dcmcki, 90accordman, MikeyB, itzme218, redcalimp5, SVT_RELAMPAGO, Johnny_Drama, RollinGTO, Fast1One, tc3k101, ramk1018, Brian_Smith06, John_Pionke, BigOso, TeamPSI, pickup1, PatFitz9, pro-rabbit, oldschoolboomer
    [Sold to] darqnez, tipnitty, Mugatu0, MrChow, nineball, SocialStealth, macq32, .livin.loud., slappinX, GlassEyez, Jeremy M, Honez
    [Traded with] James Bang, MovnZ28

redrider13 is offline is stealin yur deebeez

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This sounds like your way to get around wiring and more work... but thats just me...

Closed Thread