Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 1991 180sx Audio Build Log

mikey060 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1991 180sx Audio Build Log

First off, the build wont start for a few months so leave now if you expect progress pics and arent here to help i know some people dont care what i am GOING to do, only what i have done. I make these logs for my own good and for those who care, so if you dont feel like reading it...then dont

I need opinions on the products i will be using. It would be great if JimJ and all the other SQ fanatics could give me on some input on it. this is my first active setup...well its my first real "system" rather. i say this since my previous stereos have had a mean sub stage, but stock speakers in the front lol. i now realize i want to hear my music and enjoy it

Anyhow, after a lot of though i have (with help from some friends) come up with a general idea of what direction to go in with the system. It is going to be quite SQ oriented. I am going for a show quality instal and a very clear/natural sound. my budget for the install is right around $1500 +/- a few hundred (mostly + )
    Since i am going to school, and cant afford all the equipment at once, i will be doing the instal in stages.

First off here is the list of components being used :

Source Unit: undecided. i want something that plays cds for when i want extreme sq hah and ipod control for daily. Any ideas?

Sound Proccesor: Audiocontrol EQL Dual 7-Band Trunk Mount Equalizer

Front Stage:
    Mids - Dayton RS180-4 7" Reference Woofer 4 Ohm
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=295-374
    tweeters - Morel MDT-29 1-1/8" Soft Dome Tweeter
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=277-010

Sub Stage
    2x 8" ID8D2's or 2x10"ID10D2's wired to 2 ohm getting around 300 watts total

Amplifier
    1 Zapco Reference 650.6 Amplifier

Speaker wire/rcas : KnuKoncepts

Sound Deadening : Cactus Sounds liquid deadener

Stage 1: remove all interior panels/seats/carpet and lay down a few layers of the cactus sounds deadener. Following that i will instal the power wire for the amp, run the 2 seperate lengths of 16guage knukoncepts speaker wire down each side. i will also instal the rcas and remote wires at this time.

Stage 2: Custom doors will be built to house the 7" Dayton mid and the Morel Tweeter. They will be painted to match the car at some point. After finishing the doors, the speakers will be wired up and installed.

Stage 3: instal amplifier, processor, and subs. both a sealed box and a ported box will be built to find the optimum box style and position. Following that there will be a whole lot of glassing, painting, lighting, covering, etc done. the hatch area will be a combination of stealth and show.

heres a pic of the car who havent seen my other log.

Last edited by mikey060; 01-15-2008 at 07:14 PM.

85Caprice4d is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 1991 180sx Audio Build Log

sounds interesting.
    I'm sure you will switch your equipment a few times until you actually install, but the equipment you have now is good. Id go with the 8's just because I like 8's :-p

isoldthecaprice
    Quote Originally Posted by coma_toast View Post
    snaggle teefed bitches need love too....

REFS
    Bought from: Esc23

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 85Caprice4d View Post
    sounds interesting.
    I'm sure you will switch your equipment a few times until you actually install, but the equipment you have now is good. Id go with the 8's just because I like 8's :-p
    i like 8's too, however i would like the most output i can get and keep it sq and under my max space requirements. it will be a tricky install...basically i need to instal both subs, a large enough box for them, the amp which is about 3 feet long,the processor and still be able to use my entire hatch for carrying ****.yet it must look like it could win best of show . it will be quite the endeavor.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

heres a very simple paint sketch to show kinda how i want the door to look. i have no idea if the tweeter will need to be mounted there or up higher in the a-pillar. well see in the months to come...
    anyhow, its a general idea of how i want it too look, the overall design will change but the idea will stay the same. i want a mix of paint and suede to be encorperated. there will also be a ring made out of plexi and it will be mounted between the mids and the mounting ring(the mids will be mounted from behind the panel. there will be 4 or so led's around this plexi ring which will illuminate it, in theory. anyhow, heres my paint design hah

Closed Thread