Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Dynamat Xtreme... worth the price?

SqUaReD 80 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dynamat Xtreme... worth the price?

How good is this stuff?

Unregistered Guest

If you like the name Dynamat a lot, then go for it. I've heard many good comments about it's sound dampening ability, but many complaints about it's price. Check out brown bread. It will do the same job as Dynamat. I believe a good link is www.b-quiet.com -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If your on a budget go to a local hardware store, and you can pick up some double side roofing tar roll (its not the felt but its a sticky ashalty smelling stuff) and you use a heat gun and a wooden roller, and get it on all the suface you can. on the other side just put tinfoil, and with a shapy write DYNAMAT GHETTO

and no one will be able to tell the difference, cause honestly thats all dynamat, sept it also has a little more asphalt.

Ive used it, and my 85 Chevy Citation has been cure of the shakes

EPanther99 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    just the other day i was showing my dad a piece of dynamat that i had picked for my license plate and he also told me that it looked just like roofing tar he said you should be able to ge tlike a 100 ft rool of it for like 40 bucks

HU: Pioneer Premier P-720
    Front: JVC 2 way 6.5" component system
    Rear: Kenwood KFC-1687
    Subs: (2) 2002 Kicker 15" L7's
    Amps: (2) Infinity Beta Digital 300's
    (2) 1 farad Stinger Power Caps
    (2) 1 farad Monster Cable Monster Caps

way2shady is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dyna mat

dude use what you must but dont layer the intire inside of your car . instead use a tuning fork to find dead spots in the car and place your tar paper there. if the fork gets louder its a dead spot.natural harmonic balance . louder spl

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i wasnt planing on lining my whole car, i was just saying how cheap it is. actually i just got back from lining parts of the trunk with a roll of ashphalt backed stuff i got at lowes for 5 bucks, it looks and works just as good as the 15 dollar little piece of dynamat extreme i got, and it looks just like it.

rayan66 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

stank?

i don't know anything about this top other then what the **** does. I have no experience with using it.

But i was woundering. I assume that dynamat doesnt smell. But does the **** you buy at home depot or lowes stank?

Curious, im temping to line my trunk soon with the cheaper substitute (tar paper)

~ Rayan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    no there is not smell at all, the stuff i got is about 5-6" wide and in a 25' roll and is was less then ten bucks and it is alum back and we just finished mine and my friends trunk today with less then two rolls and it really does work great

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

id' hate to be a prick but..

i'd hate to be a prick but,

we should ban together and spread the word that this cheap tar paper **** does the same job as that expensive dynashit.

we should spread the word, then the price of that **** will go down, then we can buy it cheap.. hehehe

~ Ray
    Last edited by rayan66; 03-03-2002 at 07:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

another question

i forgot to ask.

what does it take to put this substitute dynamat in a trunk? what do i need? how much time should i allocate to do this project?

~ ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    its actually really easy to put on, all you need is a good sharp razor blade to cut the strips and then your hand to press it on and rub it down, also when your putting it one when there is an air buble just cut into it and make it so you can spread it evenly across the surface, oh yeah and one this stuff touches the metal its there for good so just be careful when placing it. and of course you will need what ever common tools it will take to remove any coving over the sheetmetal you are trying to cover in my trunk all i needed was a small flat head screw driver and a philips head. as far as time, it depends how much you have to take off, in my trunk i have plastic panels all the way around so it took about an 1 hour to an hour and a half but my friends trunk took a little longer bc his is carpets all the weay around so we had to be carful removing all the clips. but yes this stuff does work great and its a shame people pay so much for it when it says dynamat on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another little note that he forgot above
    when applying it, the asphalt paper applys a lot better and melds to your trunk crevises, if you use heat. A heat gun works very well, and honesly, this stuff does not start on fire so if you have nothing else a hand torch works just fine , i did a whole car with a hand torch. in the summer its not such a burden, lay the roll in the sun, and then just take it right off the roll. when its real cold, like it is here (ne ohio..snowbelt) heat is a necessity, because the tar wont stick almost at all in cold weather, but a lil heat goes a long way.
    get a few rollers if your doing a big car, because it does build up after awhile...depending on what heat you use..
    as he said, if you have bubbles , cut them and then rollem out.

It will not come off, you can scrape it off, and heat it, but its still gonna leave a nice tar residue (just like that one in your lungs) so use your head when applying it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

$$$

i was just thinking..

If I eventually sell this car, it'll be a positive thing to say you have installed some soundproofing. It's more of a car improvement to install sounddamping material. As long as it looks good though.

hehe

ray

one_bad_55 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To Dynamat or Not to Dynamat

I am sure the dynamat is some good stuff but I am in the middle of an install myself and I had the same decision to make that you have now. I decided to go with Brown Bread by B-Quite instead of Dynamat Extreme mainly because the Dynamat is almost twice the price.

I have been very impressed with it, It is extremely easy to work with, it is pliable and contours to just about any shape. The thing that impresses me the most is this stuff sticks and sticks good. I paid $155.00 for a 70sqft roll.

I am not sure about the tar paper thing. The decision is yours but if you can afford it the Brown Bread is some awesome stuff.

I would recommend the Brown Bread to anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: To Dynamat or Not to Dynamat

Originally posted by one_bad_55
    I am sure the dynamat is some good stuff but I am in the middle of an install myself and I had the same decision to make that you have now. I decided to go with Brown Bread by B-Quite instead of Dynamat Extreme mainly because the Dynamat is almost twice the price.

I have been very impressed with it, It is extremely easy to work with, it is pliable and contours to just about any shape. The thing that impresses me the most is this stuff sticks and sticks good. I paid $155.00 for a 70sqft roll.

I am not sure about the tar paper thing. The decision is yours but if you can afford it the Brown Bread is some awesome stuff.

I would recommend the Brown Bread to anyone.
    the brown bread im sure is good stuff too but what i am saying is where do you think those companys got the idea for theire product, if you look at a piece of asphalt paper and a piece of dynamt you can not tel lthe differentce plus i paid about 6 bucks to line my whole trunk and it is the same effict for about 100 bucks less

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast