Closed Thread

Reload Thread: How much sound deadener?

80_Cutlass_mn is offline What needs to be here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How much sound deadener?

Im plannin on sound deadening my trunk to keep the dam* trunk lid from rattling so darn much. How much do you think I should get? Also is there anything I can get at lowes that will do the same job? Im on a really really tight budget cuz im savin for a new h/u. I heard about that peel'n seal stuff that I think you could get at lowes and was wondering if it was worth it. I also heard that it didnt stick very well so I think if I do get this then ill also pick up a can of spray adhesive. How bout it? My type of car is in my sig. It has a fairly large trunk and from the looks, I think that 20 or so sq feet would be enough. I dont need a whole lot cuz my trunk lid is the only thing rattling. Thanx in advance.

Arctic White 1995 Camaro 3.4L

Hifonics BX2005D- 12" IA Death Penalty
    Premier prs-x220 - MB Quart DSD213 components
    Pioneer DEH-P7600MP - Scosche 4 Ga. wiring kit

Aol Instant Messanger: CamaroMN1995

ridered36 is offline Dont bufu rabid squirrels

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: How much sound deadener?

Originally posted by 80_Cutlass_mn
    Im plannin on sound deadening my trunk to keep the dam* trunk lid from rattling so darn much. How much do you think I should get? Also is there anything I can get at lowes that will do the same job? Im on a really really tight budget cuz im savin for a new h/u. I heard about that peel'n seal stuff that I think you could get at lowes and was wondering if it was worth it. I also heard that it didnt stick very well so I think if I do get this then ill also pick up a can of spray adhesive. How bout it? My type of car is in my sig. It has a fairly large trunk and from the looks, I think that 20 or so sq feet would be enough. I dont need a whole lot cuz my trunk lid is the only thing rattling. Thanx in advance.
    Umm i think i know what your talking about. I bought some stuff at Lowe's that was for sealing roof. It was sticky on one side, but on the other side it was sandy and rough, just like a shingle is, so i decided not to use it. It is very thin too. I would highly suggest getting in touch with ifandsorbuts off of this forum. He makes a product called Second SKin. It is just as good as Dynamat and i roughly $1 per sq. foot i bilieve. Spend a little extra now and u will be alot happier in the long run.

'84 Chevy K5 Creative Conversions Blazer (super rare!), restored, new paint, new 355, dual exhaust, interior in progress

HU-Pioneer 6400

Front Stage:
    4-Boston RX7 5.25's
    2-Boston RX7 6.5's

Rear fill:
    2-Audiobahn 6.5'

Subs:
    2-Shocker Super Extreme 12's in 11 ft^2 @ 32hz

Soon to come:
    RE 8's
    US 2000X or Tsunami 1800
    1-4 channel
    1-5 channel
    Yellow top
    7 inch screen
    PS2, DVD player, VHS player
    Line driver

Hope to be done around the 1st of the year!!!!

Gauntlet is offline bulletproof

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't use Peal N Seal on your Trunk lid.

"The world is full of people who want nothing short of perfect,
    but settle for less, blinded by their quest for purpose."
    - Slug

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yea I was cosidering it but I wanted something fast but I guess i'll get in touch with him. I dont need but maybe ooooh say.....25-30 sq ft. Just enuf to cover the sides of my trunk put about two layers on my trunk lid and thats it. I know why it rattles and I know a way to fix it but I want to put sound deadener in instead so I dont attract attention to myself from ppl being able to hear my system. What it is is there is gap that ranges from about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch between my trunk lid frame underneath the sheet metal and the positive/negative pressure of the subs moving in and out cause the sheet metal to flex in and out and hit the frame and thats whats rattling. Ive allready tried stuffing folded paper in the cracks and that stopped the rattling until I really cranked it and the sheet metal flexed so far that the paper was falling out. So thats the problem and im thinkin of running adhesive foam weatherstrip in the gaps so that cushions the metal but I also want to sound deaden it for stealth's sake.

Matador is offline -= StillBumping =-

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Trixter is offline Keepin it Simple

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The sheet metal of the trunk and the frame of it you talk about can be sealed w/ seam sealer. Go to an automotive store and ask for "seam sealer", they will know what your talking about. It works great. I also suggest getting some foam, the egg carton like stuff...can get it at wal-mart for like $7 in the bedding section, this also works great. Use the 3M spray all purpose contact spray adhesive, it's the only stuff worth buying. This is what I used along w/ the sound deadener.

2006 Jeep Liberty
    Adire Audio, Cadence, Clarion, MB Quart

Lv = [(14630000 x R^2) / (Fb^2 x Vb)] - 1.463R
    *Vb = vol. in cu"
    **R = sq.rt. A / Pi (for square/slot port)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Trixter
    The sheet metal of the trunk and the frame of it you talk about can be sealed w/ seam sealer. Go to an automotive store and ask for "seam sealer", they will know what your talking about. It works great. I also suggest getting some foam, the egg carton like stuff...can get it at wal-mart for like $7 in the bedding section, this also works great. Use the 3M spray all purpose contact spray adhesive, it's the only stuff worth buying. This is what I used along w/ the sound deadener.
    Yea I think I know what that seam sealer is. I just need something fast and cheap.

Closed Thread

User Tag List