Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Car Audio Newb - is this an ok system?

Delvish is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Car Audio Newb - is this an ok system?

Howdy all ... I know jack and crap about car audio stuff. I have a 2001 Toyota Rav4 with just the factory stereo and speakers. I always wanted something a bit more as far as sound and quality, and I noticed the other day that the front right speaker keeps going out. I figure this might be my time to **** it up and pick up a new system. (or rather - have one installed)

I went into one of the better advertised car stereo businesses in the town near me and asked them to price a system. I told them I didn't want anything crazy, but I didn't want it to sound like crap either. I don't need it to rattle my windows. I don't listen to rap really ... mostly music like Korn, The Offspring, etc.

The guy seemed helpful and put together the following system. He said the overall price is 1270$. That includes the installation fee of 220$. I figured I'd throw up a post on here incase there were some car audio guru's on here that felt like telling me if this is an ok deal and worth getting?

Sorry for not having all the pieces linked ... I'll try to link them as I find reviews of the items.

Stereo:
    Alpine CDE-9881 CD/MP3/WMA/AAC Receiver: 178$
    Amazon has it listed as 155, but they priced me 178:
    http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-CDE-988...9887380&sr=8-1

Front Speakers (i think):
    JL audio TR650CSI 6.5" component .5" Neo Tweeter: 157$

Back Speakers (i think):
    JL audio TR600CXI 6" w/ Dome Tweeter: 100$

Sub-Woofer:
    Clarion PX2105P Dual 10" Ported Enclosure: 245$ (I think they are Clarion ... invoice had as Clar but it had the amp as Clarion)

Amp:
    Clarion APX1300 Mono Amp w/ Crossover 400Wx1 @ 2ohms: 153$

Cable to allow stereo to interface w/ Ipod:
    Alpine KCE422I Ipod Cable Full Speed Connection: 40$

Thanks for taking a look. He suggested 10" woofers instead of bigger ones. He said they tend to be better for faster music and the bigger ones tend to be better for slower bass like rap. I didn't know what to get as far as woofers go, so I told him 2 subwoofers. He said some people go crazy and get like 6 ... but that in the smaller SUV I have that 2 would sound good and he didn't recommend going for more. (not that I know the difference between having 2 or 6 at the moment)

As far as stereo's go, they had all kinds of crazy ones. I told him that the fancy displays didn't really appeal to me. I didn't need a small tv in my car. I told him I don't use cd's much ... mostly I hook my ipod up through the tape deck attachment. I want to get away from using the crappy tape deck attachment, so he priced me the above stereo because it had a decent, but basic display and it could interface with the Ipod. I guess I will be able to control the ipod through the stereo's interface.

I'll also go through and look in your reviews sections to see if any of these parts are in there.

Doingstuffwell is offline Making crazy - Look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Car Audio Newb - is this an ok system?

Clar subs? huh?

for what you want im sure you can get a better setup or get that setup for cheaper.. check the classifieds here, and online.

08' Land Rover LR3 HSEV8 on 22"s and 96' Discovery I on 36" w/ 8" Lift

REFS
    iamamp3pimp(RE MT 18")disturbedfuel15(Quantum 700D)BassAddictJ(stuff)NHustlaR(RE 15)93 saturn sl2(Kenwood 9102D)mobeious(PPC6700)lostsuspect21(Pioneer AVH-P6600)drivingreckless(TC Uberwoofer)SKATMAN(RE 15)marineeagle28(Panasonic 2DIN)88Vette(2 way LCD)lastcall(Memphis M1000D)Sonnick(TC 3HP)Cravingbass123(Carfax)BrianChia(Boxes)chrisyax(Memphis 1000D)miker(RE 15)steinkea(Ipod)pimpinmex803(1/0 wire)wasted ink(Avic N1)the12voltsux(laptop)mazdakid(PA3000db)psychoacoustics(gps) fasfocus00(ipod)thericanballer(18" MT)mazdakid(PA3000db)bigaudiofanati2(watch)tipnitty(wire)

jdeaton is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you deffinately want to get a amp for the speakers.

Eugenics is offline Princess

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You could do better. The prices dont seem horrible though.

crunktimes . com/ct

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not sure what the guy was smoking though.

crunktimes . com/ct

vvblazers777 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thats a no-deal. haha... If you want to improve your system, allot cheaper, and will sound allot better then here's a better choice:

Rainbow door speakers (off ca forums) >400. for front and rear
    Speaker amp >125.00
    Alpine Type R 10" in custom enclosure >250.
    Sub amp > 150.

DejaWiz is offline Speaker Bee-otch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's looking like you have about $900-1000 to work with.

How about this?

Pioneer DEH-P690UB (comes with iPod cable) $222 shipped

PG RSd65cs $129 shipped

Kicker CVR102 $95 (free shipping if ordered with the other parts) $95

Kicker ZX650.4 $252 shipped
    ...channels 1 and 2 for the comps, channel 3+4 bridged for the sub

Wiring: www.knukonceptz.com figure about $75-100

Box: Make a smaller sealed or ported box for around $30-50

TOTAL: about $850

If you don't want the PG comps, check out the Pioneer 720PRS. Either set will provide sweet midbass and clarity off the power from the 650.4 amp.

2010 Kia Forte SX
    2009 Kia Borrego EX 4x4

Setting Amp Gains:
    http://s13.zetaboards.com/Den_of_Dragons/topic/508709/1/

References
    Bought from: jacobcopeland87, 95bat, alxmlr789, na_rsx

XanderMoser is offline Poor college student

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The bit about smaller subwoofers being better for quick beats and bigger subs being better for rap is straight up crap. It's just a myth. It all depends on the transient response of the subwoofer, they all vary. You don't have to worry about that, as long as your enclosure is designed well, you'll be fine with any size sub in your situation.

I would actually suggest a single 12" sub. You'll get plenty of bass. In my trunk car I can rattle my windshield wipers with a 12" Dayton Titanic at 500 watts RMS. And I'm not even pushing it all that hard.

What other brands of speakers do they have? JL is often overpriced for what you get. If you buy it online you can get some Pheonix Gold components and coaxes for much better price. Then you can amp them instead of running them off the head unit.

How much did he quote for that mono Clarion amp?

You have a good start, but I think you can get equipment just as good or even better, for less cost.

Alpine CDA-9833
    Running fully active with US Acoustics 4050 and 4060 Zed built amps
    ID OEM 6.5" mids and Seas 27TAFNC/G aluminum tweeters
    12" Dayton Titanic in 1.2 sealed powered by HS 2.125

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think part of it too was that I just randomly stopped in there. I hadn't researched it at all before going on because my speakers just started acting up recently. It was one of those times when I didn't have any planned questions, was more like "here is what I'm looking for, what would you recommend" ... he asked for a starting price, which I had no clue how much a system would be. At first I told him 600$, but he said he could swing the stereo and sub's for that, but not the speakers. I then told him 1000$ or a bit more. I wasn't sure how much people spend for their systems (I'm more of a computer / gadget guy as far as knowing prices and what is good deals ... so never really looked into stereos at all)

Rattlebrain is offline alcoholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenics View Post
    You could do better. The prices dont seem horrible though.
    x2

B.O.H.I.C.A.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoSayWho? View Post
    I do not believe in drinking in moderation. Seems like a waste of potential.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XanderMoser View Post
    What other brands of speakers do they have? JL is often overpriced for what you get. If you buy it online you can get some Pheonix Gold components and coaxes for much better price. Then you can amp them instead of running them off the head unit.

How much did he quote for that mono Clarion amp?
    Doesn't look like they have prices on their site, or else I'd quote some of the prices for the other brands they have. Here is the site for the store:
    http://www.carstereo1.com/speakers.asp

The amp quote that he gave was 153$

Thanks for the replies so far. Looks like I have some reading up to do. :-)

mike11202 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have a 10" Type R (dual 2) in a Fishercustoms Ported box.. only needs 400-500watts @1 or 4ohms

I'd sell it to you for $180 + ship if your interested.. box costs me about $140 alone

Let me know if your interested

Refs: Premier Audio, uglydimple12, IonSQL x 2, bjfish x 2, Fi Car Audio, jorginho, bigpetey, eric12421, Ali1, scissors, inutero1994, blackbonnie, gsuchyta, Skip01, Serpent710, morgans432, DiamondFanatic, DUMPED, Slam, JBLCAMRY, IDSkoT

--------------------------------
    2007 Honda Civic Coupe
    Pioneer Premier 780-MP
    Optima Yellow Top D34
    Image Dynamics CSX64
    JL Audio 300/2v2
    JBL P1220

hemi=22s is offline I Pop Bottles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delvish View Post
    Howdy all ... I know jack and crap about car audio stuff. I have a 2001 Toyota Rav4 with just the factory stereo and speakers. I always wanted something a bit more as far as sound and quality, and I noticed the other day that the front right speaker keeps going out. I figure this might be my time to **** it up and pick up a new system. (or rather - have one installed)

I went into one of the better advertised car stereo businesses in the town near me and asked them to price a system. I told them I didn't want anything crazy, but I didn't want it to sound like crap either. I don't need it to rattle my windows. I don't listen to rap really ... mostly music like Korn, The Offspring, etc.

The guy seemed helpful and put together the following system. He said the overall price is 1270$. That includes the installation fee of 220$. I figured I'd throw up a post on here incase there were some car audio guru's on here that felt like telling me if this is an ok deal and worth getting?

Sorry for not having all the pieces linked ... I'll try to link them as I find reviews of the items.

Stereo:
    Alpine CDE-9881 CD/MP3/WMA/AAC Receiver: 178$
    Amazon has it listed as 155, but they priced me 178:
    http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-CDE-988...9887380&sr=8-1

Front Speakers (i think):
    JL audio TR650CSI 6.5" component .5" Neo Tweeter: 157$

Back Speakers (i think):
    JL audio TR600CXI 6" w/ Dome Tweeter: 100$

Sub-Woofer:
    Clarion PX2105P Dual 10" Ported Enclosure: 245$ (I think they are Clarion ... invoice had as Clar but it had the amp as Clarion)

Amp:
    Clarion APX1300 Mono Amp w/ Crossover 400Wx1 @ 2ohms: 153$

Cable to allow stereo to interface w/ Ipod:
    Alpine KCE422I Ipod Cable Full Speed Connection: 40$

Thanks for taking a look. He suggested 10" woofers instead of bigger ones. He said they tend to be better for faster music and the bigger ones tend to be better for slower bass like rap. I didn't know what to get as far as woofers go, so I told him 2 subwoofers. He said some people go crazy and get like 6 ... but that in the smaller SUV I have that 2 would sound good and he didn't recommend going for more. (not that I know the difference between having 2 or 6 at the moment)

As far as stereo's go, they had all kinds of crazy ones. I told him that the fancy displays didn't really appeal to me. I didn't need a small tv in my car. I told him I don't use cd's much ... mostly I hook my ipod up through the tape deck attachment. I want to get away from using the crappy tape deck attachment, so he priced me the above stereo because it had a decent, but basic display and it could interface with the Ipod. I guess I will be able to control the ipod through the stereo's interface.

I'll also go through and look in your reviews sections to see if any of these parts are in there.
    for subs do 2 10" or 12" digital designs or re audio, ID depends on how much space u have for a box and do u want more spl or sq

also def get a mids amp those mids are alright but u could get a better for that price on here only buy from ppl that have references i recommend lot of scammers

decks a pretty nice choice

for a sub amp probablly need something around 1800-200 watts rms depending on the subs u get above but get speakers first so the ohm load on the a,p is correct easier to buy an amp than find subs to match an amp
    orion,mmats,ia, us amps, any of these are great amps

finally def dont buy a pre-made box, build one or make ur own out of mdf so it can be built to specs and u will be a lot happier

FEEDBACK IN LINKS BELOW TOO BIG FOR SIG

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323932

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...28#post4856428
    sold: goose, krisfnbz, dubb designs, 2000gator(x2), oxsign, aesoj, viveet(X2),
    mike437,flossinon24s,mxracer591,riffyb, bsean63(x2),nycking23,bryce-man,fastimes(x2),
    boltpride, r-sosa,fusion_freak,siacarman,kcdc30
    prodgod, toasted1,newageking,nmbr1spt,projectnutz(P),DeViOu SoNe,
    traded with: davet, teddyunited, rockmo, spikee, rdaudioman1256, SPY

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He doesn't need to spend 400 on speakers. Some Rev coax's and a 4 way amp would be fine.

crunktimes . com/ct

mike11202 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenics View Post
    He doesn't need to spend 400 on speakers. Some Rev coax's and a 4 way amp would be fine.
    Yep get some Pioneer Rev Coaxials

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+TS-D161R.html

I think my Type R would be great for your application as well.

Refs: Premier Audio, uglydimple12, IonSQL x 2, bjfish x 2, Fi Car Audio, jorginho, bigpetey, eric12421, Ali1, scissors, inutero1994, blackbonnie, gsuchyta, Skip01, Serpent710, morgans432, DiamondFanatic, DUMPED, Slam, JBLCAMRY, IDSkoT

2007 Honda Civic Coupe
    Pioneer Premier 780-MP
    Optima Yellow Top D34
    Image Dynamics CSX64
    JL Audio 300/2v2
    JBL P1220

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast