Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dirty bass? symptoms of a bad amp? *noob question*

Layout of my system: 2 15'' Fully loaded Fi BLs, ran by a rockford power T5002, VM9511TS Jensen HU, 220 HO Iraggi alternator, Optima yellowtop under the hood, Kinetic HC1400 in the trunk, 0/1 power wire, 8 guage speaker wire.

My speakers are omitting a 'crackling' noise on high volumes (15-40max). Is this my amp causing this 'dirty bass' to play? It doesn't necessarily sound like distortion but just a cracking a popping noise. I KNOW it's not my subs because it only does it every once in a while....somedays it's fine...somedays it sounds like complete ****.

My electrical system is PLENTY capable of handling it so I'm not sure what it could be besides the amp. PLEASE some one help, it's quite annoying....thanks in advance.

Eat Italian is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Dirty bass? symptoms of a bad amp? *noob question*

If you describe it as a crackling noise, it sounds like it could be one of the following.

A) Blown Speakers

Now if you don't believe you're overpowering them (that's of course if you even have them amplified or even have aftermarket speakers) then it cant be that.

B) Speakers inproperly tuned

Self-explanatory

C) Interference coming from inproper wireing

again self-explanatory

You don't seem to say anything what-so-ever about your speaker setup. If it's coming from your speakers then that is what we need to know to make an educated guess. All you told us was your setup, sounds great and all but doesn't help pin-point your dilemma here.

ChevyBoy2007 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My fault....

I've got them wired at .5 ohms which is about 1000 watts on the amp. I've tried every wiring configuration and it still does it....

Tuned to 40 Hz. It plays higher Hz just fine, but when the bass hits is when the crackling noise comes into play.

I've got 500 watts (roughly 1/3 what they can handle) going to each sub, blown speakers seem highly unlikely to me due to the capability of the subs.

They thing that puzzles me the most is that sometimes it does it, and sometimes it doesn't...could it even be the RCA's?

mixtapekid is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

move your ground wire had the same problem

audioholic is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    320 Post(s)

Check wiring connections. Could be a lose connection, could be a poor connection. Especially check the signal connections at the RCA's. If you suspect the RCA cable is bad, bypass it using another temporary cable across the seats, or hook up a boombox or similar device that has aux RCA outputs which bypasses the installed RCA cable AND h/u.

No speaker, in the history of speakers, has ever been blown by too little power. Ever. I don't care what your friend told you, he's a dirty liar.

Closed Thread

User Tag List