Closed Thread

Reload Thread: CEA compliant amps

neonrt is offline What are you looking at?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CEA compliant amps

I have been seeing this term more and more as of late, and wondering what does this mean exactly. I know it is supossed to be a way of testing an amps rms in certain conditions so that you end up with a real world rating, but i have also heard that some amps that are cea rated apparently dont do rated. Clarion dpx11500 for example. have saw a couple threads where it would only make slightly over 1000rms instead of the cea rated 1500rms into 1 or 2 ohm. If this is true, than what good does cea compliant do for us. explain in detail is you know the full truth of this and what makes an amp cea compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ku-sama View Post
    since I'm under 18, doesn't that mean I can have kiddy ****?? and can't I sleep with a 8 year old?

nauc is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: CEA compliant amps

On May 28, 2003, the Consumer Electronics Association published standard CEA-2006, "Testing & Measurement Methods for Mobile Audio Amplifiers." This "voluntary" standard advocates a uniform method for determining an amplifier's RMS power and signal-to-noise ratio. Using 14.4 volts, RMS watts are measured into a 4-ohm impedance load at 1 percent Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) plus noise, at a frequency range (for general purpose amplifiers) of 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4 ohms. This applies to both external amplifiers and the amplifiers within in-dash receivers.

CEA-2006 allows consumers to be able to compare car amplifiers and receivers on an equal basis. Manufacturers who choose to abide by the new standard are able to stamp their products with the CEA-2006 logo that reads: "Amp Power Standard CEA-2006 Compliant."

dont really know of CEA-2006 products that arent putting out what they claim to put out

Alpine 9887, Cadence TXA-1502, Oz ME 180CS, Cadence TXA-1000d, 12" RE SE sealed, Second Skin Damp Pro

Earthman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CEA-2006 tests amplifiers equally,so you don't have the confusion between brands.You can expect to get atleast rated power if not more usually making them under rated,which is a good thing. Be aware of brands not contributing to this certification as they may addvertise peak ratings in which these amps usually fall flat on their faces way before reaching half of said peak watts.

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not a certification or a rating as many people seem to believe for some odd reason.

It is a standardized method of testing output that each manufacturer can, at their discretion, choose to follow or not.

If X, Y, or Z brand decides to follow the approved testing methods and their products meet or exceed the given ratings for whatever that product is (whether it be an outboard component amplifier or the internal amp in a headunit) then it is said to be CEA 2006 ratings compliant.

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

Earthman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prowler573 View Post
    It's not a certification or a rating as many people seem to believe for some odd reason.

It is a standardized method of testing output that each manufacturer can, at their discretion, choose to follow or not.

If X, Y, or Z brand decides to follow the approved testing methods and their products meet or exceed the given ratings for whatever that product is (whether it be an outboard component amplifier or the internal amp in a headunit) then it is said to be CEA 2006 ratings compliant.
    You're correct,I shouldn't have used the word ''certification'' I appologize for not being more specific with my phrasing.

neonrt is offline What are you looking at?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^^ good info. I just was wondering how an amp that is cea compliant would not do rated power. I thought that was the point of the rating which apparently it is.

I just have heard of people bench testing amps that are cea rated and not getting the power out of the amp that is stated it puts out which apparently is a load of bs. Of the top of my head, i have read form 2 people that have "apparently" bench tested the new clarion dpx11500 and only getting about 1050 watts rms at 1 ohm, when it is rated at 1500 rms at 2 or 1 ohm. you know how some people just spout out bs on the internet, and i guess this is one of those cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Ku-sama View Post
    since I'm under 18, doesn't that mean I can have kiddy ****?? and can't I sleep with a 8 year old?

Closed Thread