Closed Thread

Reload Thread: VW Golf for spl car?

97cavy is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

VW Golf for spl car?

A kid ive known for a few years blew a head gasket on his late 80's-early 90's 4 door golf. He said if i wanted it, he would give it to me for $50. Is it worth it? Im thinkin about gettin it just to mess around with after i fix it (how hard is a head gasket to fix?) plus its a 5 speed, and i need to learn how to drive a 5 speed! I was thinkin of throwin a wall in it for the summer, what ya guys think??

96 blazer
    8 Fi Q 15''s
    2 SS 6500's
    5 NSB 125's

Refs:
    MK3XXX, T3 Audios 160db Jeep, TPRJ5, Awp122, 91Lacdeville, duece212, boister77, BuddyChrist, Safe_Cracker, JCP, Saywhat?, ProjectPat06, SqHertz, MuddinXJ, emd2260, terra, loudcartunez

Randy Savage is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: VW Golf for spl car?

Originally posted by 97cavy
    A kid ive known for a few years blew a head gasket on his late 80's-early 90's 4 door golf. He said if i wanted it, he would give it to me for $50. Is it worth it? Im thinkin about gettin it just to mess around with after i fix it (how hard is a head gasket to fix?) plus its a 5 speed, and i need to learn how to drive a 5 speed! I was thinkin of throwin a wall in it for the summer, what ya guys think??
    For $50, I'd take any car.

chase297 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeah for $50 why not

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    how costly and hard is a head gasket to replace?

96 blazer
    8 Fi Q 15''s
    2 SS 6500's
    5 NSB 125's

Refs:
    MK3XXX, T3 Audios 160db Jeep, TPRJ5, Awp122, 91Lacdeville, duece212, boister77, BuddyChrist, Safe_Cracker, JCP, Saywhat?, ProjectPat06, SqHertz, MuddinXJ, emd2260, terra, loudcartunez

hargenoff is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    take the car for 50 bucks....

beware...a headgasket can be really expensive to fix! seriously

don't buy a used one, get a brand new one. don't take the chance of having a used one be a piece of shiet...then you *** the whole car up

true i got more fans than the average man, but not enough loot to last me till the end of the week I live by the beat like you live check to check, if you don't move your feet then i don't eat so we like neck to neck, we done come a long way like dem slimn' cigarettes...from virginia....we ani't gonna stop, we just gonna continuna.....

now everyday i look up at the ceilin, watchn ceilin fans go 'round tryn to catch that feeln of instrumental...

BassRacer is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    man no one reuses a old head gasket cause there already been cramped down so there no good.

1984 Olds Cutlass Ciera 2.8L 4 dr
    Windows Tinted Already

Upcoming Mods:
    1)Custom Dual Exhaust from Midas w/ Chrome tips
    2)Dual Electric Cooling Fans (Spal or Flex-a-lite)
    3) K&N Air Filter System
    4) 16'' Rims
    5) Air ride Suspension
    Coming soon Summer of 2K3

Hu-
    Alpine CDA-7995
    or
    Alpine CDA-9815

Comps- Dunno yet

Comp Amp(s)- Dunno yet

Subs-
    2 12'' Elemental Designs A Series Subs Dual 2 ohm

Sub Amp(s)- Dunno yet

-DZ- is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If it's a 4 Cyl (Which it most certainly is) a head gasket shouldn't be that hard to replace.

Get an OEM headgasket from the VW dealer, and replace the head bolts and you should be set. If you aren't that good at wrenching on cars, this is a prime opportunity to learn. (And an excuse to drink!)

hargenoff is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by BassRacer
    man no one reuses a old head gasket cause there already been cramped down so there no good.

dude, junk yards take broken pieces like head gaskets and fix them so they work again! that is what is meant by getting a used one.

yes they can be expensive to replace

true i got more fans than the average man, but not enough loot to last me till the end of the week I live by the beat like you live check to check, if you don't move your feet then i don't eat so we like neck to neck, we done come a long way like dem slimn' cigarettes...from virginia....we ani't gonna stop, we just gonna continuna.....

now everyday i look up at the ceilin, watchn ceilin fans go 'round tryn to catch that feeln of instrumental...

-DZ- is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by hargenoff
    dude, junk yards take broken pieces like head gaskets and fix them so they work again! that is what is meant by getting a used one.

yes they can be expensive to replace
    I can gurantee you they will not reuse a head gasket. A head gasket is a thin peice of material (Ranging from cork, rubber, metal, or some type of composite material) that seals the head to the block.

A new head gasket is usualy pretty cheap, anywhere from about $10 to about $50 for most run of the mill cars. Even if you could get a used head gasket, it's just too darn cheap to buy a new one.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well....the news is that there is just way too much time/money needed to get this car runnin good, so im not gonna get it. I guess this means i can spend more money on buying another amp!

96 blazer
    8 Fi Q 15''s
    2 SS 6500's
    5 NSB 125's

Refs:

Closed Thread