Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Need recommendation on system

Hi all of you

I am new into this and find things rather confusing when it comes into consiferating power combination for each unit.

I got a Nissan king cab pick and want to install 2 speakers (2 or 2 way) in the front doors and a sub to have behind the back seed.
    I like to listen to music very loud but with without the loss of quality.
    Now, I know ofcours that recommendation of type of speakers and amps will vary but hardly the numbers (rms watts) tha I need to reach what I am looking for.

Up to what point can or below what should I not go in regard to reach or keep the kind of power output I need to be able to play a high levels keeping quality?

What are crossovers?

Regards
    Árni
    arnistefanarnason.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You said a mouth full there.

First thing to remember is that its not the driver that always makes the difference it is the quality of the instalation.

One of the major things to remember...boxes are to be designed around a driver. Expecially in an SQ situation...prefab boxes will cause you nothing but heartache.

There are ceratain name brands that you should stay away from...made purley for SPL. Others are just crap.

Also, making sure you have an efficent but clean sounding amp is critical

All things you should realize

I dont think any of us can really press a product unless we know your price range

Crossovers over all limit out frequencys that go to a driver...
    Heres an example.. Your head unit (unless it has built in cut offs) will send your sub amp the full spectrem of signals.. A sub woofer is not meant to be played over 120 hz (...thats high for a lot of drivers even) and if you do not set your cross over on your ampto limit it under that it will send the full signal to your driver and basically it will sound like crap.

That also works on high end to send high notes to the tweets and midrange to the mids

Arni is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "First thing to remember is that its not the driver that always makes the difference it is the quality of the instalation"

What exactly do you mean by this?

"boxes are to be designed around a driver"

do u mean that I should first consider the ampl then select the speakers or opposite?

"There are ceratain name brands that you should stay away from"

I certainly would be interestend in knowing more here as I live in Iceland were there is a very limited number of brands to select from. I am looking at stuff from the following two resellert at www.sm.is and www.aukaraf.is, can you visit their site and let me know what brand names that they sell I should try to stay with? pls

"Also, making sure you have an efficent but clean sounding amp is critical"

How can I make sure that I select such an amp? What brands are preferable?

"Crossovers over all limit out frequencys that go to a driver...
    Heres an example.. Your head unit (unless it has built in cut offs) will send your sub amp the full spectrem of signals.. A sub woofer is not meant to be played over 120 hz (...thats high for a lot of drivers even) and if you do not set your cross over on your ampto limit it under that it will send the full signal to your driver and basically it will sound like crap."

Are you saying that if the sub amp does not have a build in crossover to control the frequency that I should get myself a seperata crossover that I connect between head unit and sub amp to control the frequency going to the sub amp?

Thank you if you find time to reply to this.

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Arni
    "First thing to remember is that its not the driver that always makes the difference it is the quality of the instalation"

What exactly do you mean by this?
    Basically, you can have $1000's in equipment, but have a really ghetto/crappy install, and make everything sound horribly wrong

"boxes are to be designed around a driver"

do u mean that I should first consider the ampl then select the speakers or opposite?
    What he said is that certain subs need certain boxes...and the boxes are determined by the sub being used. I would choose the sub first, then look at amps.

"There are ceratain name brands that you should stay away from"

I certainly would be interestend in knowing more here as I live in Iceland were there is a very limited number of brands to select from. I am looking at stuff from the following two resellert at www.sm.is and www.aukaraf.is, can you visit their site and let me know what brand names that they sell I should try to stay with? pls
    Generally, you want to stay away from Pyle, Pyramid, Rockwood/Kenford/etc...we can help you further with brands if you need to. I always suggest listening to your equipment before purchasing so you know what you are getting into. Especially speakers...with subs it isnt too as you can vary the box

"Also, making sure you have an efficent but clean sounding amp is critical"

How can I make sure that I select such an amp? What brands are preferable?
    This depends on what sub you are getting and your price range

"Crossovers over all limit out frequencys that go to a driver...
    Heres an example.. Your head unit (unless it has built in cut offs) will send your sub amp the full spectrem of signals.. A sub woofer is not meant to be played over 120 hz (...thats high for a lot of drivers even) and if you do not set your cross over on your ampto limit it under that it will send the full signal to your driver and basically it will sound like crap."

Are you saying that if the sub amp does not have a build in crossover to control the frequency that I should get myself a seperata crossover that I connect between head unit and sub amp to control the frequency going to the sub amp?
    Pretty much

Thank you if you find time to reply to this.
    If you havent already, check out the following:
    www.edesignaudio.com
    www.respl.com
    www.imagedynamicsusa.com
    www.adireaudio.com
    www.mtxaudio.com
    www.kicker.com
    www.rockfordfosgate.com
    www.eclipse-web.com
    www.bostonacoustics.com
    www.mbquart.com
    www.mmatsproseries.com
    ETC.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "Basically, you can have $1000's in equipment, but have a really ghetto/crappy install, and make everything sound horribly wrong "

Well what things are there to be aware off when one installs a audio system into a car.
    Wiring appears to be straight forward, placement of speakers go into the doors, the head unit has it´s secure place and power......etc, are there key factors appart from this to look into to improve sound quality????????????

"What he said is that certain subs need certain boxes"

I am not getting the picture here, what do you mean by boxes? The box the speaker is build into? Sorry I am not joking with this question but if I am understanding this correctly can you give me an example of difference of boxes via speakers.

"we can help you further with brands if you need to"

I do! I have access to, Kenwood, Jbl, Rockford, Lighting audio, Clarion, AudioControl, Genesis(UK)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "Basically, you can have $1000's in equipment, but have a really ghetto/crappy install, and make everything sound horribly wrong "

Well what things are there to be aware off when one installs a audio system into a car.
    Wiring appears to be straight forward, placement of speakers go into the doors, the head unit has it´s secure place and power......etc, are there key factors appart from this to look into to improve sound quality????????????
    The correct box for the sub is critical. Also placement of speakers for imaging purposes is key. Crossovers and EQ's need to be set properly.

"What he said is that certain subs need certain boxes"

I am not getting the picture here, what do you mean by boxes? The box the speaker is build into? Sorry I am not joking with this question but if I am understanding this correctly can you give me an example of difference of boxes via speakers.
    Subwoofer "X" may sound best in a box that is either 2.5 ft^3 sealed, or 3.8 ft^3 ported @ 35hz. Subwoofer "Y" may sound best in a box that is either 1.2 ft^3 sealed, or a 6.8 ft^3 ported @ 28hz.
    "we can help you further with brands if you need to"

I do! I have access to, Kenwood, Jbl, Rockford, Lighting audio, Clarion, AudioControl, Genesis(UK)
    Kenwood is decent, JBL would be good in terms of your amps, Rockford is alright for amps/subs, speakers are nice, Clarion makes fairly nice head units, Lightning Audio is generally alright, AudioControl is nice for EQ's and such
    Hope I helped clear some things up.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what about mtx in reg of speakers and amps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    MTX makes fairly nice amps, in my opinion. I own some of their speakers and I am impressed with the sound quality of their 6.5" components...I am currently running them in my Camaro. Their subs are alright for beginners...the 6000 series are very common in regular cab trucks, since they have a very shallow mounting depth. I would say their subs are more towards SPL, rather than SQ. Dont look at the Road Thunder stuff...just the Series 6000/8000.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14

Mac11 is offline MacGyver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    \

i dont have any experience with TMX speakers but i have owned a couple MTX amps and they are nice.

"I'm craving carrots but all I have are these cookies!" -Rdub
    "HEY!! I stopped sellin pot after my first senior year!" -SD

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Got one more question for the time being, in the front doors of my pick up there is a thick plastic cover behind the front cover. The plastic is designed to go behind the rear part of the speakers so that there is only a small whole for the wires to go through. Will removing the plastic from behind the speakers and by this opening up the whole inner space of the door improve or do nothing for the the sound quality ?

taylor is offline THUNDER TUNES IS A FLAMER

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it would probably be better to leave it....may give you a little more midbass...

Closed Thread

User Tag List