Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My review of DAMPX!!!

Date: 211012003
    Written by: Ted-o
    Review of: Second Skin Damplifier Extreme
    Price: located on web site
    Provided by ANT, Second Skin Audio

Introduction: Now, I have never applied any type of dampening material before, as I was going to get around to doing it and the opportunity came up to test and review some dampening material called DAMPX. Thanks to ANT who offered me a sample to test. I really did not know what exactly dampening material does. I did know some myths that I picked up over time. One of them was that when you properly apply damping material to your vehicle, it would improve SPL by 10-20% I dont know if that is true but thats what I have in my head. I heard that dampening material would stop vibrations and rattles. I also heard that it will isolate noises from inside out and out side in, being bass stays more in to vehicle and less road noise coming inside the vehicle. When I opened the box, I was greeted with the smell of tar; you know that smell of when they repave your street. Stinky but not too bad. The product was heavy as I anticipated it to be and when I examined to roll notice that there was more that I though there was to put into my vehicle. Since I have never used any type of dampening material I really did not have anything to compare to it. I did however have a small sample of the regular Damplifier that I could compare to the DAMPX. The original is about 1/32 of an inch and has a shiny foil side and an adhesive side that was a tar substance. The DAMPX was very very thick compared to the original. The DAMPX is about 3/16 of an inch and has a painted foil side (black) and most of the thickness from the tar/adhesive. Very thick

Installation: When I started the installation I noticed how extremely stick the adhesive on the product is and how think it is. It was at first very hard to work with but I got used to it. I cleaned the surface areas of where I was going to install it with paint thinner. I unrolled the product to start to warm up and found that it was easier to cut as I was notified that it was hard to cut. I would cut small pieces about 12x12 and apply them to the vehicle and smooth them out. My trusty friend Sean help me out with smoothing the DAMPX down to make sure their where not air gaps. Since this was my first time I tried to do my best job on it but Im sure I could have done better. It went down good, as I did not run into any problems. Total install time 2hours. I was able to do most of my hatch area, well most of my problem areas being the way back where the lights and hatch and donut/jack where located. I found that I did have plenty but could have used A LOT more. I finished with very sore back and very cut up hands

Aftermath: I was not really prepared on what my system was going to sound like. The first time I listened to vehicles sound system after the installation of DAMPX I was not impressed. I did not hear any difference at all. Wait, this was my first time and I thought that there would have been a significant different in the sound quality and noise factor. I was disappointed at first but then came to realize that adding a dampening material to my vehicle would not make that much of a significant difference. Not what I thought it would sound like. After about 5 days of listening and other responses I can safely say that DAMPX made a difference. Not much but enough over time to notice a difference. I noticed that the dampening made the bass a little clearer and a little tighter inside my vehicle. I was told that the rattling out side my vehicle was reduce and I can not hear the rattling of my car when I'm in traffic or next to a wall (echoes). I do still have a noise problem with other parts of the vehicle like the spoiler. ANT told me that I would notice that rattling would be reduced but I would notice other things rattling in other areas. I would really like some more to put into my vehicle. I would say that DAMPX improved sound quality and dampened my car; it did what it is supposed to do. I would recommend DAMPX for people who are in need of dampening material. I will use Dampifier in all of my next installs.

In the Ted-o meter, I would say an 84% out of 100%

Pros:
    -Depends vibrations, stopped a lot of the rattles
    -Made bass more defined and clearer
    -Does what is supposed to do
    -Very sticky, will stick to anything
    -Thick and Black
    Cons
    -Very very stick, will stick to anything
    -Hard to work with
    -Sharp edges, you will get cut

Thanks to: ANT from www.caraudioforums.com, Second Skin Audio and my good friend Sean.

SAVAGE SOUND is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    NICE REVIEW!! short to the point and detailed.

1"tweets and 8"kenwoods up front 5.25" in rear arm rest and 2-12" kicker comps sealed in back.

http://www.carforums.net

ifandorbuts is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the great review Ted!

Corsica is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great job man!!! be Proud of this review cause its terrific!!!!

J

"A man doesnt win a war by dying for his country. He does it by making the other poor dumb son of a beyotch die for his." Patton

No system installed, but getting all the parts together.

J

Tedro is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was so up this morning when i posted the review and then....

on the way to skool i blew a tweeter out of my favorite component set.

so im sad now, untill i can find some good 2-ways.

Im open for sugestions and if anybody out there has any 2-way component sets that they are trying to get rid of let me know. My limit is about around $100 if i can sell the stuff i have in the FS forum..

Tedro is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I want to bump this a little

BonusBobo is offline Lightweight Sesh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Tedro
    I want to bump this a little
    Nice review. What did you use to heat it?

-AJ

AIM: AJR775
    My CarDomain
    [email protected]

Tedro is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I did not have to heat it, but in the summer time.... hehe i live in Arizona..

Closed Thread