Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Second Skin Damplifer X review (my version)

Primetime is offline Senior Hoopster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Second Skin Damplifer X review (my version)

I received my sample of Second Skin Damplifier on Tuesday of this week. I began my install of this on Friday and just finished.

Friday afternoon, I am excited to get started on using this new product. I took a half-day at work so I could begin the project. As I try to open the box I run into my first problem. That thing is Child proof, or in this case adult proof. I found the best way to open the box is with a sharp knife along the top then down the side. The smell did hit me since I was in my laundry room when I opened the box. It did smell like other similar products. Some people might find the smell offensive, but I kind of like it. ODER 7/10

Unlike the last product I used (B-Quiet Extreme) this stuff does not have a shiny foil side to it. It also does not have a white butcher paper side that peels off. Instead the side that peels off is a clear, slightly yellowish tinted plastic material. The other side is just pure black. I like the black better then the shiny foil because it is easier to hide if need be. I noticed one thing rather quickly; this stuff is nice and flexible. It is slightly thicker than B-Quiet Extreme yet much more flexible. Second Skin when heated slightly really molds itself to the area your working quite nicely. Better than any produce I have ever used. Although I did find it could be a little bit stickier. (The true test comes in the summer though I guess) Stickiness 7.5/10.

I found that I really needed to dampen the INSIDE of my door panels while playing a 25hz sine wave. (They rattled like a snake in the Texas dessert). This product performed extremely well on both the metal parts and the plastic/vinyl parts of the door. The ability to conform it into every nook and cranny with ease makes this product the best I have used so far. Ease of installation 9.5/10

Now for the actual working part. This product stopped rattles… that simple it works. The sound was more brilliant from the speakers, the rattles are gone from everywhere I put it, and it made the doors close with more of a nice solid feeling. (Almost makes my Ford a BMW) I also put some on the floor to see how it would do with road noise coming from the wheel well area of the car. I noticed that it DID have a slight deadening reaction. I was quite surprised. I only used one layer in most parts of the car and that’s all it needed. I have a Ford Escape SUV so I didn’t have the trunk rattles most regular cars do. I would say that 2 or possibly 3 layers would be needed for a complete job to be done in car applications. Actual Sound dampening 9.5/10

Overall I would say that it could be a bit stickier and the smell could be less, but other than that it is almost a perfect product. Like I said it is the best product I have used so far at less than ˝ the cost, I don’t see how anyone could go wrong whether you want to just make your car more quiet or you want to stop some annoying rattles. Overall rating of 9/10

I would like to thank Ant (ifandorbuts). For the chance to try the product and review it. It was my pleasure installing such a fine product. I will have my pics ready to view in a couple of days.

Dave

BLAH!!!

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    great review bud....u and matt jus sold me on the xtreme......was going to go w/ the regular damplifier.....might as well go w/ xtreme .....probably going to get spectrum for my doors and trunck tho

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice review - glad you liked the product, for the most part.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

ifandorbuts is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the great review!
    glad this product help remove your rattles

ANT

mattj is offline Resonant Engineering