Closed Thread

Reload Thread: New system specs, and a few questions...

Belgarion is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon30 New system specs, and a few questions...

I am upgrading my factory system in a Saturn SL2 (4 door sedan) and want to make sure I am not missing something obvious.... so please, speak up if I am making a rookie mistake! I am looking for decent SQ, and plan on adding the SPL aspect later....

Here is what I have picked out:
    Alpine 7995
    US Acoustics USX4065
    Infinity Reference 605cs (front doors)
    Infinity Kappa 62.5i (rear fill)

future enhancements:
    sub(s) for the trunk
    separate amp to power the sub(s)

My questions are: does wiring the sub (I will have to mount it against the back of one of the back seats, inside the truck) require a lot of car audio knowledge? I can pickup the wiring harness and dash kit to do the HU myself (I have at least done those before), but I am a rookie when it comes to the amp. Also, I am going with the comps, even though my factory speakers are coaxial.... should I attempt cutting the door holes myself? And my understanding is that I will need to use two channels to power the comps, and 2 for the rear.... am I going to lose any sound quality from the comps that way? (should the tweeters have their own channel?)

Thanks for any advice!

Randy Savage is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: New system specs, and a few questions...

Originally posted by Belgarion
    I am upgrading my factory system in a Saturn SL2 (4 door sedan) and want to make sure I am not missing something obvious.... so please, speak up if I am making a rookie mistake! I am looking for decent SQ, and plan on adding the SPL aspect later....

Here is what I have picked out:
    Alpine 7995
    US Acoustics USX4065
    Infinity Reference 605cs (front doors)
    Infinity Kappa 62.5i (rear fill)

future enhancements:
    sub(s) for the trunk
    separate amp to power the sub(s)

My questions are: does wiring the sub (I will have to mount it against the back of one of the back seats, inside the truck) require a lot of car audio knowledge? I can pickup the wiring harness and dash kit to do the HU myself (I have at least done those before), but I am a rookie when it comes to the amp. Also, I am going with the comps, even though my factory speakers are coaxial.... should I attempt cutting the door holes myself? And my understanding is that I will need to use two channels to power the comps, and 2 for the rear.... am I going to lose any sound quality from the comps that way? (should the tweeters have their own channel?)

Thanks for any advice!
    Wiring an amp is very very easy. This is how its done- remote wire from amp to h/u, RCA's from amp to h/u preamp output, power wire to pos battery terminal(with fuse of course), and ground wire from amp to engine chassis, as close to the amp as possible. With comps, the x-over splits the signal to the tweeter and the speaker itself.

Closed Thread