Closed Thread

Reload Thread: repost "Where Should I set crossover?" Original went way down board b4any replies

Unregistered Guest

repost "Where Should I set crossover?" Original went way down board b4any replies

Where should I set the crossover points on my system?

I have a PPI PCX-480 amp with the front two channels powering a set of Infinity Kappa 63.3i 3-way coaxials and the rear channels bridged to a JL Audio 12W3 subwoofer.

Do I have to set the high pass crossover on the coaxials at the same point I set the low pass crossover on the sub? For example, if I set high pass to start killing low notes at 100hz on the coaxials, do I need to set the low pass to start killing high notes at 100hz on the sub?

The crossover on my amp is 12db per octave, I think. So that means that if I set the low pass on the sub at 100hz, at 200hz the sub will play 12db quieter than it did at 100hz. By the same token, if I set the high pass on the coaxials at 100hz, that means at 50hz it will play 12db quieter than it did at 100hz. This means that there is going to be a point between 50hz and 200hz that the coaxials and the sub are going to be overlapping, or playing together. Is this going to cause problems?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Setting XO

I would set the low pass @ 80hz and the high pass @ 100hz..if the coaxials distort because of the bass slowly turn the frequency higher until it no longer distorts even at higher volumes..My guess would be that you will end up somewhere around 150-200hz on the coaxials.. The missing frequencies are noticable to a good ear but for daily driving it isnt too bad. It is very comon to find vehicles set up very similar to this and you can always add a dedicated midbass driver later.

Mike

Closed Thread