Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Outputs on Head Units

Eagle3 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Outputs on Head Units

Im new to the board! and to car audio in general as well. I have a question about head units.

Im looking for a new head unit (preferably the Alpine CDA-7894) I have read many good reviews about it and i like the features it has. I have 2 12's, rear speakers as well as front speakers but how will i be able to hook them up to the outputs of the head unit? It has three 4 volt outputs, so i figure left and right channel for subs and left and right channel for rear speakers (or front speakers).

Another thing, any of you run this head unit without using a direct connection to the battery because of the "V-Drive" feature?

Thanks in advance

Savant is offline Duke of DOH!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Outputs on Head Units

Originally posted by Eagle3
    Im new to the board! and to car audio in general as well. I have a question about head units.

Im looking for a new head unit (preferably the Alpine CDA-7894) I have read many good reviews about it and i like the features it has. I have 2 12's, rear speakers as well as front speakers but how will i be able to hook them up to the outputs of the head unit? It has three 4 volt outputs, so i figure left and right channel for subs and left and right channel for rear speakers (or front speakers).

Another thing, any of you run this head unit without using a direct connection to the battery because of the "V-Drive" feature?

Thanks in advance
    Actually, there should be front, rear, AND subwoofer pre-amp outputs.. the front would be for an amp to the front speakers (if you used one), and same for rear.. these outputs "fade" with the controls on the HU.. The subwoofer output is NON-fading, meaning it's a steady signal no matter how you have balance/fader (might only be fader, you have 2 channels on the sub out so left-right may well affect it, not sure)..

Normally, you would hook the stock speakers up to the speaker leads from the HU (they are amped from the HU's internal amplifier).. then run the RCA subwoofer pre-amp to an amplifier that drives the 12"s.. (normally.. you could run the front/rear outs to amplifiers for componets/etc if you like)..

Hope that helps..

EDIT: not sure about the V-Drive.. that HU might require direct connection to the battery with a larger than normal power wire, because of the internal amplifier.. I have the 7892 with connects to the stock power wire, but I only have 22x4 RMS.. you might have more with the 7894.. and that might require a bigger power wire connected to the battery and fused..

(1) Alpine CDA 7892 HU ($214)
    (2) 12" Pioneer Premier 1241DVCs in sealed MDF box (gonna glass them eventually) ($69 each)
    ->removing.. ->(2) 10" Pioneer Premier 1041DVC's in sealed MDF box (gonna glass them eventually) ($59 each)
    (2) Lanzar Vibe248 1200 watt 2 chnl amps ($119 each)

It's bump'n GOOD!

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make a moron understand...

Closed Thread