Closed Thread

Reload Thread: A question about sound deadening doors--for those with experience

Nitewing911 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A question about sound deadening doors--for those with experience

First of all, I'm on a budget. I plan on sound deadening the doors of my Mazda Protege5 and, having no experience whatsoever, I've been doing a lot of research on sound deadening. I've been searching through various forums, and I've even visited a few local shops to get their take on doing doors, and it seems that there are two approaches to applying deadener on doors.

The first approach is more "minimal." This approach is to apply strips of deadener in various places in the door, just enough to prevent resonance. Deadener is also applied where the speaker is mounted, and maybe a deflex pad right behind, and the job is done.

The second approach is much more comprehensive. this involves applying deadener to nearly every surface in the door, and applying sheets of deadener on the outer door skin to seal any holes.

My question is this: If I were to sound deaden just the four doors and nothing else in my car, would it be worth taking the comprehensive approach, or would it be good enough to take the "minimal" approach. I know that since I'm only doing the doors, I'll still be hearing some road noise and such, and that's ok for now. I also know that there'll still be a difference made with any bit of sound deadening, and I'm wondering if the difference between the two approaches in the door is significant. Thanks for any feedback given.

got_focus? is offline Skeet Skeet Skeet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: A question about sound deadening doors--for those with experience

I promote second skin any place I go, but before I knew anything about deadener, I hit up the http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forums/index.php forum. These guys are awesome and KNOW their stuff.............and they will give you their honest opinion.

If you want to do JUST enough to make it worth it, I would hit the door with a single sheet of deadener (damplifier pro) behind each speaker with a speaker kit.

That will get some depth in your music and add some more mid.

2009 Nissan Sentra
    REFS - kickerlivinloud, stevew007, jellyfish420, Packerfan, FinalWolf, Bumpncarstereo, subingncali, bigmurf127, 1loudsuv, NhustlaR, violentrapture, toaster, thunder9500, Ecko072Unltd, kickinaudio, LivinLife, PV Audio, JDizzle, 5thgenaccord, krouchchocolate, duece212, PBateman, 22mountaineer, ProjectPechkin

I would drag my cock through a mile of broken glass just to hear her fart through a walkie talkie.

Mr. C is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did the first approach in my previous 200sx. It worked out good.

I did the second approach in my current Nissan Altima. Just doing the four doors cut the interior road and wind noise in half. Much more significant difference.

I noticed more of a difference with my doors than with any other deadened part of the car. Although I still have my roof to do once I get up enough courage to pull the headliner.

Altima: Kenwood DNX7100/ 6.5" Quart comps/ US Amps 4300x + USA 600/
    (1) 10" Autotek MX / Stinger expert RCA's & 1/0
    (3 way fronts + more power soon)

200sx: Alpine 7995/ AudioControl DQX/ Quart 6.5" comps
    2 US Amps USA 2000's & 1 4300x/ 2 DD 9915's (dual .7's)

Refs: evan, Jared530, scoobydoo, hybridamp, beerdrnkr, lostdaytomorrow, jco1385, Grinder1989
    More refs @ sr20forum.com under my user name wickedsr20.
    EBay user name: creco9 --- EBay feedback: 100%

Burned by: six501, Mr. Coogi

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

I did the 2nd approach also in my Altima. Multiple layers on the front/back doors, inside the door panels, plus rear package shelf.

I used the cheapo Peel & Seal and have had no issues and it's been about a year now, so it's survived a HOT summer and COLD winter.

If on a budget you can do many layers with it. I've had NO issues with smell or it coming loose.

Closed Thread