Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Butyl Based Deadening @ $0.61 per sq. ft.

lost1700 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Butyl Based Deadening @ $0.61 per sq. ft.

I am in the roofing business and I can get a 198 sq. ft. roll of butyl based 30 mil. underlayment for around $120. There is no asphalt in it.

Do you think I should use this as sound deadening. I don't see any difference in the stuff I can get and the "sound deadening" that sells for 4 times as much. Maybe the thickness, which I can double mine and still be cheaper. And this stuff does not have an aluminum top layer.

What do you guys think?

davidfre21 is offline Is just a lil racist...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Butyl Based Deadening @ $0.61 per sq. ft.

u want the alluminum top layer...

but in general adding mass to your panels will help some.

IA FTW!!!
    Team Sundown... what?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davidfre21 View Post
    u want the alluminum top layer...

but in general adding mass to your panels will help some.
    What does the aluminum top layer do? Does it keep the main layer from absorbing the sound produced inside the vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniabOY5 View Post
    Well here are a few things about sound deadening:

-How much will you be doing? If its the whole car you will have to double up everywhere because most effective sound deadners are around 65 mills.

-How easy is the install? Another reason why good sound deadening material is expensive as it is.. is because its ease to install. With second skin its simple cut and press on, then next piece.

-I have heard that most roofing types you would have to heat up, then stick on. If you are doing a complete car this is a REAL pain.

-I would look into other car audio sound deadening before I refer to roofing materials because the only benefit you would get is from mass-loading and some others offer more than that.

Before you make a decesion please check out http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Its very worth the read. I have read that people have installed what they call Peel n Seal and it seems to sound like what ur talking about? Not quite sure. But people that have used it are mainly happy with it. Do a search on Peel and Seal.
    I will probably only be doing the doors. This stuff should install just as easy as anything else. It is very easy to cut, it has an adhesive coating on the bottom and should stick with no problems. It sticks very well in roofing.

I read that info in your link. The ingredients in the material are the same, the only thing that differs in some of the products on that site is the top aluminum layer.

I can easily double or triple the material to get the right thickness. The stuff stick very well to itself.

From what it looks like, peel and seal is asphalt based. My product is butyl.

DoobieBrother is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The aluminum top layer will make the installation about 100 times easier and far less messy.

Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoobieBrother View Post
    The aluminum top layer will make the installation about 100 times easier and far less messy.
    How? There is no way by adding an aluminum layer to this product will make it easier or less messy.

This product is NOT asphalt based, it is butyl rubber based adhesive sheet with a polyolefin film or mesh top sheet. It is not gooey, sticky (besides the adhesive on the bottom).

perfecxionX is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

what is the product, is this a special deal that your getting? or can i some how have access to this. thats a pretty good price, id probably do it

jdawg is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)

DjiNN is offline Posts but still a NooB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wow ... thats 10 times cheaper than car audio sound deadener

Vehicle : Subaru Impreza 2010

Refs : 6spdcoupe, gl0ck

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im pretty sure you can not get this product at lowes or home depot. More than likely their products are all asphalt based.

This is called GRACE Ultra by Grace construction Products. Butyl Based.

It is only 30 mils thick, so you would have to at least double it. You would have to get it from a roofing supply distributor.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Take pics of it! I wanna see!
    I can't take pics of it, we don't have any in our warehouse. We use the asphalt based product because it is cheaper. But I can get a roll for free, which is 198 sq. ft. They can be purchased at around 100-120 dollars depending on how much you buy.

I was just wondering if this would work, because I don't feel like spending another couple hundred bucks on deadening.

Flipx99 is offline Violator of Terms

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    296 Post(s)

The al cover makes it less messy and the butyl not get all over you hands while laying it. We do not sell any butyl based roofing product at Lowe's but I assume some can be special ordered.

I will check out this Grace building products tonight to see if we can.

Black cat, white cat...all that matters is that it catches mice. -Deng Xiaoing

I do homework for money. I specialize in finance. PM me for estimates.

If someone uses me as a reference, please contact me first.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Check this out:

If you have to double up to get to 60 mills it will cost you 1.22 per foot. It will take double the effort and time to do so. I would rather suggest you go with something that is already 60 mills:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=52

It is only 1.60 a foot. Yes, you would be spending .40 cents more on it but it will take you 2x the amount of time to get the same benefit plus it will not be as pleasant to work with as edead will be. Edead is much easier and is made FOR car audio. I am in the middle of doing my car and it takes ENOUGH effort just to do one layer, two will kill you to get the same effect.

40 cents is a little price to pay for conviniance and cutting your install time in half. Remember. . time = money!

Your right, for that price difference, I guess it would make sense just to buy the eDead. But I am getting a roll for free. So I dunno.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

if its for free give it a try. . . . . start out in the trunk see how you like it. Take pictures, we love pictures here on ca.com~! think about it. . . . if you do lay down that then add anything more in the future like edead you would have 90 mils~!
    This is true. Since it's free, if it doesnt work, no big deal. I can add stuff later. It is going in my truck. I was really only planning on doing the front doors when I installed my comps. Maybe the back doors too.

Anthony Collova is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    206 Post(s)

I have to becareful of what I say around here. Anyone that has been around long enough might remember when I used to warn people of the problems with asphalt mats.
    I got flamed big time because I am the owner of Second Skin, and was accused of making up bs to help sell my stuff..

But this is my reply over on CAF.
    TIFWIW

The big problem with roofing materials is usually asphalt. For butyl roofing product the problem then becomes viscosity. They buty that is used in many authentic automotive vibration dampers such as Stinger Road Kill Expert, Hushmat, Dynamat Extreme, Cascade audio, and ours, is specificly formulated to have a consistant and ideal viscosity that targets the greatest mean frequencies associated with automotive noise.

See, the more firm the butyl is, the lower the frequencies are dampened, the softer the butyl is, the more higher range frequencies are dampened. So when chemists formulate the butyl for automotive applications they take in to consideration the acoutics of the car and go after a greatest amount of common frequencies the car will be exposed to and forumlate the viscosity of the butyl accordingly.

Roofing product don't take any of this in to consideration.
    Do the products dampen vibrations? Yes.
    Do they Save money? yes
    Are they efficient? no
    Will doubling up equal the same as a single layer of real damper? Maybe y/n

Foil is the other key.
    1. It is a much better constraining layer that plastic or mylar, this is why Hushmat changed their formula from mylar to Foil last year.
    2. It adds weigh, which helps lower the resonante frequency of the panel making it more difficult to resonate with the same given energy.
    3. it adds strength, making the panel harder to flex
    4. it can reflect radiant heat if put in a radiant areas
    5. it absorbs and distributes convectional heat, helping to increase the heat tollerance of the overall product. (keeps the butyl cooler)

One secret in the automotive sound deadening world?
    In general, if it comes in a roll, it goes on a roof.

I am not saying don't buy the stuff. It may turn out to be great. but from what I know of the industry... I'll wait for the reviews to come in

ANT
    www.secondskinaudio.com

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener

Raven is offline Lacking social skills!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

ANT's got a point - but then again, free butyl rolls are free butyl rolls. My take on it is this.
    Is it the same as dedicated car audio deadener? No.
    Will there be an audible between it's effect and dedicated car audio deadener's effect? Probably.
    Are you going to kick yourself in sheer dissatisfaction for installing this free matting instead of a better product that isn't free? Probably not.

I say go for it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List