Closed Thread

Reload Thread: My current setup and where it's going...

type[s5] is offline Aspiring Car Audiophile

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 My current setup and where it's going...

Hey guys! I've just recently signed up for this website and I'm grateful to have found a site with such a plethora of car audio knowledge/input from people all over the place. I know i'm gonna learn a lot from you guys.

Anyway, on to my setup and beyond. I believe I could use all the input on it that I can get before spending my hard-earned cash.

Right now, I've got a Scorpion 1.2 farad cap going into an MTX 801D amp going into a 12" IDMAX and some cheap Pioneer speakers that replaced my stock 4" front and 5.25" rear speakers
    (these speakers WILL be replaced... with what? idk yet).
    Car batt and alt haven't been changed, nor have I done the Big 3.
    I'm thinking of either getting a 4 channel amp to power all 4 speakers, or a 2 channel running my rear pair with my 4"s up front running off the deck.

One of the problems i'm seeing with getting a 4 channel to power them all is that i'm not seeing a lotta 4" speakers that can handle the power I want to give all of my speakers. With a 2 channel running the rear, i'm obviously not gonna experience much up front as i would in the back. Anything else you guys see a problem with here (4ch all-around vs. 2ch rear?)

Also, there's the issue of inadequate power that i'm foreseeing. As I said, I haven't done the big 3 yet but it WILL be done before I go any further beyond just an amp and sub. My car has been lacking in the mids/highs for a while now and I'm feeling ready to upgrade them ASAP.

My main questions are: Can I run 2 amps now, with a total wattage of around 1200, and not worry too much about power consumption? And what about 2400 total watts after I replace the 801D with a BXi2006? Also, how would I go about wiring everything with a 2nd amp thrown in the mix?

I haven't done installs beyond a basic cap-mono amp-sub setup and replacing stock speakers so any input from you guys is GREATLY appreciated.

lrgnation is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: My current setup and where it's going...

focus on the front speakers only and is 4" the largest size you can do for the front? try to do a set of 5.25" or 6.5" components in the front to start. Get a 2ch amp to power up your front. your front speakers are entirely more important than the rear. so if you want to start with just a good set of front speakers I would reccomend it.

Get rid of the cap, do the big 3. If your unsure what that is check out the sticky thread in teh wiring forum.

if you have excessive dimming and power consumption get a larger batt kinetik, yellow top, stinger.

and from there upgrade your alternator.

hope this helps.

type[s5] is offline Aspiring Car Audiophile

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: My current setup and where it's going...

Quote Originally Posted by lrgnation View Post
    focus on the front speakers only and is 4" the largest size you can do for the front? try to do a set of 5.25" or 6.5" components in the front to start. Get a 2ch amp to power up your front. your front speakers are entirely more important than the rear. so if you want to start with just a good set of front speakers I would reccomend it.

Get rid of the cap, do the big 3. If your unsure what that is check out the sticky thread in teh wiring forum.

if you have excessive dimming and power consumption get a larger batt kinetik, yellow top, stinger.

and from there upgrade your alternator.

hope this helps.
    Thanks! I'm gonna have to examine where the front speakers are mounted. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. If i have to have some customized door panels made for 6.5's, i'd do it. ^^

So no 4 channel? Yes, i'd like to upgrade the front speakers first, but eventually i'll want new rears. If it's not too far into the future, I'd think that already having a capable amp will save time + money.

Closed Thread