Closed Thread

Reload Thread: were to set my amp settings?

k12ug is offline MASTER MASTER

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

were to set my amp settings?

im trying to figure out how and were to set all my settings on my amp.
    sundown saz-1500d

were to set...
    gain
    subsonic
    lpf
    phase

I <3 SI
    I <3 sundown

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: were to set my amp settings?

thank you sir.

I <3 SI
    I <3 sundown

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i read that thing over and over....it says nothing of a low-pass filter ( how to set it that is)
    and a subsonic filter.
    and phase.....

any clue on what to do with any of these....or how and what to set them for.

I <3 SI
    I <3 sundown

spoonraker is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A low pass filter will filter out all frequencies above what you have it set at. If you put your LPF at 100Hz, anything above that will not be sent to the speaker.

A subsonic filter is similar to a LPF, except anything below the subsonic filter will not be played. You should set this to the tone which causes your speaker to reach it's mechanical limits to prevent damage. For example, if your speaker is nearly falling apart at 20Hz, you should set it at about 20hz so that nothing below that will be sent to the speaker.

Phase shift is more complicated. The simplest way I can explain it....phase is the speed at which sound is transfered to the subwoofer. If you have it set on maximum, which on my amp reads as 180 degrees, once your LPF frequency is hit 100% of that frequency will shift to the subwoofer. On a medium setting the sound will shift over to the subwoofer without such a harsh transition, it will be partially on the speakers and partially on the sub. It's hard to explain somebody help me out...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spoonraker View Post
    A low pass filter will filter out all frequencies above what you have it set at. If you put your LPF at 100Hz, anything above that will not be sent to the speaker.

A subsonic filter is similar to a LPF, except anything below the subsonic filter will not be played. You should set this to the tone which causes your speaker to reach it's mechanical limits to prevent damage. For example, if your speaker is nearly falling apart at 20Hz, you should set it at about 20hz so that nothing below that will be sent to the speaker.

Phase shift is more complicated. The simplest way I can explain it....phase is the speed at which sound is transfered to the subwoofer. If you have it set on maximum, which on my amp reads as 180 degrees, once your LPF frequency is hit 100% of that frequency will shift to the subwoofer. On a medium setting the sound will shift over to the subwoofer without such a harsh transition, it will be partially on the speakers and partially on the sub. It's hard to explain somebody help me out...

i under stand....its the % of which you want the sub and speakers to play?

I <3 SI
    I <3 sundown

ultimate157 is offline Engineering Student

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you have a seald or ported enclosure?

Where you set the LPF is determined by how well your speakers can play the lower frequencies, and how well your sub plays the higher frequencies.

Numbers to start are 20hz for SSF (ported enclosure would be a few hz below tuning) and 80hz for LPF.

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLI VR6
    Source: Pioneer 880 PRS *Active
    Tweeters: Soon to be Hat Imagine
    Midrange: Soon to be Hat Imagine
    Sub: 15" SSA Icon
    Box: 2.5^3 Sealed
    Amp: Soundstream Tarantula 2kW

Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278169

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spoonraker View Post

OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

ok.....i read that like 8 times to get it....

kinda like a fading type thing. got it

I <3 SI
    I <3 sundown

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate157 View Post
    Do you have a seald or ported enclosure?

Where you set the LPF is determined by how well your speakers can play the lower frequencies, and how well your sub plays the higher frequencies.

Numbers to start are 20hz for SSF (ported enclosure would be a few hz below tuning) and 80hz for LPF.

thank you for the help, i kinda got what you buys are saying now.

im going to have a ported enclosure tuned to 34hz and i think ill set the subsonic to about 25-28hz

and lpf....you guys recommend 80hz?

I <3 SI
    I <3 sundown

spoonraker is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mine is at 65Hz right now, but I need to up it. I'd say 80 should be good, I believe 100 is recommended, but that seemed high to me.

Closed Thread