Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Give me your opinion...

jemorgan85 is offline SPL Tactician

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Give me your opinion...

A buddy of mine recently built a box for 3 15's in his Beretta. He is running two 450 watt Lanzars and one JL W0 off of an MTX 6500. They are all in a sealed (except for the small cracks that result from the box building) in a supposed 8 cubic feet box. The trunk lid rattles like sheet metal and the lights dim in his car.

Now supposedly, this setup will beat my AW1505X in a 3.2 cubic feet custom ported box in a 94 Saturn SC2. Another friend of mine and I hooked up an old V12 two channel amp and gave my sub around 400 watts or so, 600 shy of its recommended RMS, and I think my setup is WAYYYY louder and sounds much much better than his. Even with only 400 watts, it knocked pretty well. He claims that his system will beat mine in the SPL department easily. I will soon have my Planet Audio 1250d (whenever it comes in the mail) and I will be runnin the sub at one ohm, and giving it all 1250 watts. I'm not new to this field at all, and know a lot about car audio, but I just wanted everyone elses opinions about this.

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Give me your opinion...

Originally posted by jemorgan85
    A buddy of mine recently built a box for 3 15's in his Beretta. He is running two 450 watt Lanzars and one JL W0 off of an MTX 6500. They are all in a sealed (except for the small cracks that result from the box building) in a supposed 8 cubic feet box. The trunk lid rattles like sheet metal and the lights dim in his car.

Now supposedly, this setup will beat my AW1505X in a 3.2 cubic feet custom ported box in a 94 Saturn SC2. Another friend of mine and I hooked up an old V12 two channel amp and gave my sub around 400 watts or so, 600 shy of its recommended RMS, and I think my setup is WAYYYY louder and sounds much much better than his. Even with only 400 watts, it knocked pretty well. He claims that his system will beat mine in the SPL department easily. I will soon have my Planet Audio 1250d (whenever it comes in the mail) and I will be runnin the sub at one ohm, and giving it all 1250 watts. I'm not new to this field at all, and know a lot about car audio, but I just wanted everyone elses opinions about this.
    In my opinion, car audio is for your listening satisfaction, not to impress friends.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

violator5spd is offline Post Wh0re Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Give me your opinion...

Originally posted by paikiah
    In my opinion, car audio is for your listening satisfaction, not to impress friends.
    Fortunately you can do both at the same time...

but in response to your post, i think it's very possible for your setup to be louder, especially b/c of the air leaks in that kids box...not to mention and audio system can't operate at full potential when the electrical system can't supply the power it needs

- John (AIM - ViolatorJF)

2000 Dodge Neon

DEH-P9300, JBL BP600.1, eD15A.22 in 2.5^3ft sealed

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Re: Re: Give me your opinion...

Originally posted by violator5spd
    Fortunately you can do both at the same time...

but in response to your post, i think it's very possible for your setup to be louder, especially b/c of the air leaks in that kids box
    Don't tell your friend that small cracks can be fixed easily, so long as it's not pumping crazy numbers...

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

violator5spd is offline Post Wh0re Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Give me your opinion...

Originally posted by jemorgan85
    i was just reading over that again...man that's a crappy setup! shouldn't really mix sub types in danger of cancelling out frequencies and tricky stuff like that...plus that amp is like 775w and yours is 1200something...IMO you should have this kid w/o a doubt

- John (AIM - ViolatorJF)

2000 Dodge Neon

DEH-P9300, JBL BP600.1, eD15A.22 in 2.5^3ft sealed

jemorgan85 is offline SPL Tactician

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i thought so too...

I thought he had a crappy setup as well. I was gonna do an SPL calculation just so he would believe me, but I did not want to mix the different effieciencies of the woofers. I did the math on mine, and the most I could come up with is around 144 dB. I have an optima battery and a new alternator, so I don't think I will have any problems like does, until I maybe add another Planet 4 channel amp for components.

Closed Thread