Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: HU vs. Amp Crossovers

Hintzyboy is offline Sparks mean its working!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HU vs. Amp Crossovers

I just wanted to know if there is any advantage to setting your crossover points on the HU vs. setting them on the amps?

Thanks,
    Aaron

Refs:
    CarAudio.com: SlickRick, CubanAffection, trevor87, BigBirney420, Apollyon, Dinty01, TeamPSI, QtrHorse (x2), 6spdcoupe, Siddle, Smokingachicken, MisterGrubbs, Fast1One, MiniVanMan(x2), Jntar, blackbonnie, tigerf117, kasimo420, blaze383, XaznKewLguyX, SRim23, RidnClean, Team H&K, djvi0lent, jeeper07, turboaudi
    DIYMA: snaimpally
    CA.com Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327860
    Ebay Feedback http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hintzyboy79

60ndown is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: HU vs. Amp Crossovers

easier

Quote Originally Posted by NeedDirections View Post
    Yeah this thing is mint. you pay $300+ship and wait 2-3 wks from FI.
    Quote Originally Posted by andytb View Post
    shipping is free
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedDirections View Post
    Alright then,

Price is 250 Shipped

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know with my old Alpine not only was it much easier to adjust from the front seat, but I could also change th slope of the filter as well.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

acold7dusta is offline y they stealin my bucket?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

mine dont sound as "full" using the HU crossover as supposed to the amp x/o

much better SQ through the amp, but thats just my setup

01 Acura CL

Eclipse CD3200
    Rainbow SLC 265 Active
    Sundown: SAX-50.4D
    ..............SAE-1000D
    Diamond D6 10" d2 sub
    ...........-.80 cu. ft FG sealed

squeak9798 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Amplifier crossovers can typically be set to anywhere within the specified range of the crossover. I.E anywhere between 30hz and 300hz. Most headunits only have specific frequencies you must select from; 50hz, 63hz, 80hz, and 100hz (for example).....which offers much less benefit. So, the amp xover is "better" in this regard.

Headunit xovers can be adjust from the drivers seat "on the fly" and most of them now-a-days include adjustable slopes, where the larger majority of amp xovers typically are either set at one specific slope or are very limited in their slope adjustability.

Neither is inherently better. You basically just have to try them both and see if one provides a substantial advantage in your specific situation over the other.

Likewise, you can use them both in conjunction with each other.

Just have to play around with it.

MBrock4u is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wow, that was a excellent answer. I guess that's why your a moderater. I was curious about that my self. Thanks!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, thanks guys. My main problem right now is that my current HU doesn't have the crossover capabilities to run an active system. I'm going 4-way, so it would be a pretty exxpensive upgrade to get the kind of HU and processing necessary to control it from the HU.

However, I can set my HU to send full range frequencies (turn off all filters and x-over), and then set the cross points on the amps.

Until i can afford to upgrade to something like a H701, DRZ9255, P9 combo, etc.

Refs:
    CarAudio.com: SlickRick, CubanAffection, trevor87, BigBirney420, Apollyon, Dinty01, TeamPSI, QtrHorse (x2), 6spdcoupe, Siddle, Smokingachicken, MisterGrubbs, Fast1One, MiniVanMan(x2), Jntar, blackbonnie, tigerf117, kasimo420, blaze383, XaznKewLguyX, SRim23, RidnClean, Team H&K, djvi0lent, jeeper07, turboaudi
    Ebay Feedback http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hintzyboy79

Chevillac is offline The X Factor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use both usually.

At least 4125 Soldiers Died In Iraq R.I.P
    FORUM BLACK LIST(The Originators!)
    Devillain00,sumone, KARLEON, Worlddre(BABD) LBX2G, Lemans23 aka Pv_audio, Black_Jesus, Kali77(MIA), Cobra_Commander, Niggz89, adio, dbubble, hjrouter76, 80INCHES, 937DYTBOI, speedyd718, Bdawson72, atoz350

Quote Originally Posted by duece212 View Post
    whats the world coming to, we have a bunch of prideless dicksuckers in our midst

refs: I rob people, I steal

Exploder 97 is offline Monte Carlo SS now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use my 9853 and my amps filters are off.. i personally like having the option of changing frequencies and stuff on the head unit... different strokes for different folks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the other reason I used the filters in the HU was that my amps were made before having crossovers in amps was commonplace and as such don't have crossovers. Made things really difficult when the HU died...

The Alpine HUs (the older good ones and the two they still make that have anything, anyway) and digital processors have cutoff freqs at 1/3-1/6 octave intervals. That is pretty close to continuously variable. The benefit here is accuracy compared to a continuously adjustable setup. Especially if you like to mess with it a lot. It makes it really easy to go back to what you started with if you mess it up. Add in time alignment...

The biggest drawback IMO to using the HU filters is you are pretty much limited to what the HU has when it comes to EQ. If it has enough for you, that's great but the use of an outboard EQ is pretty much out.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well my curretn HU has time alignment, and all my stuff is going in a single cab s10, so it's not like I have to go that far if I want to adjust. As far as EQing goes, I'll probably just leave it flat. I listen to a variety of music, and don't really feel like changing it all the time. Plus I figure that the people who mix the CDs generally know how it's supposed to sound.

Refs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hintzyboy View Post
    Well my curretn HU has time alignment, and all my stuff is going in a single cab s10, so it's not like I have to go that far if I want to adjust.
    That's great as long as you have an output for every driver if you are going with an active setup. Otherwise the TA is of only marginal use.
    As far as EQing goes, I'll probably just leave it flat. I listen to a variety of music, and don't really feel like changing it all the time. Plus I figure that the people who mix the CDs generally know how it's supposed to sound.
    The purpose of a system EQ is to fix speaker response irregularities to get them to reproduce the music as it was recorded/mixed. Ideally, you set it and leave it.

frankiebones is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MBrock4u View Post
    Wow, that was a excellent answer. I guess that's why your a moderater. I was curious about that my self. Thanks!
    squeak doesnt f*ck around. if u get a response from him, the thread is normally concluded and your question is answered.

plus, he's a TOOL fan.

today a young man on acid realized that all that mattered was merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness appearing of ourselves subjectively, that life is just a dream, and we're its imagination of ourselves, here's Tom with the weather.

• 2003 Audi A4 (manual trans.)
    • Pioneer DEH-P7800MP
    • Morel Hybrid Ovation 6 Components(in fiberglass pods)--Kicker KX650.4 (bridged)
    • JL 12W6(sealed)--JL 500/1
    [*]All RCAs are Tsunami X15 Competition Series

frankiebones is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hintzyboy View Post
    Yeah, thanks guys. My main problem right now is that my current HU doesn't have the crossover capabilities to run an active system. I'm going 4-way, so it would be a pretty exxpensive upgrade to get the kind of HU and processing necessary to control it from the HU.

However, I can set my HU to send full range frequencies (turn off all filters and x-over), and then set the cross points on the amps.

Until i can afford to upgrade to something like a H701, DRZ9255, P9 combo, etc.
    get an audiocontrol dqxs.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...ategory_id=all

its 500 on woofersetc. my install guy is running Morel SUPREMO 2 way components, which do not include a passive crossover, as they are meant to meant to be run active (they do come with 'recommended' crossover points).

he is using the dqxs with those drivers. as BOTH an EQ and a Crossover, the DQXS gives u a level of control over the crossover pts, slopes, and everything else that u may need if u go active. if u go active, from what men much wiser than me have told me, you need flexibility to control x-over pts bc it will be very vehicle specific.

i am never going to be satisfied with my system, and will always be striving to improve it (either by tuning or upgrading the components). however, until i can afford the DQXS or something even sicker, i will not consider going active.

• 2003 Audi A4 (manual trans.)
    • Pioneer DEH-P7800MP
    • Morel Hybrid Ovation 6 Components(in fiberglass pods)--Kicker KX650.4 (bridged)
    • JL 12W6(sealed)--JL 500/1
    [*]All RCAs are Tsunami X15 Competition Series

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well for now, I guess I'm just going "Half-active". I plan to upgrade to better source and processing units this summer, but for now I have to do with what i have.

As for the time alignment, my midbass and midrange speakers are going to be mounted right next to each other, so I'll just put those on the same set of outputs with some RCA splitters or something.

Refs:

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast