Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Do I need the cap?

buster is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do I need the cap?

I have a factory 100 amp alt and about 900 watts of amplifiers that are voltage regulated running at 4 ohms. I have a 1 farad cap already wired in. Is it doing any good? If not, is it hurting the system bad enough to go through the trouble of taking it out and rewiring? Take it out or leave in?

Savant is offline Duke of DOH!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If your headlights (and other electrical thingymabops) are all running fine, then the cap isn't really hurting anything.. it might actaully help if you have a big bass spike.. If your system is being taxed for juice all the time, the cap isn't helping and can be hurting..

As long as your car seems to have all the juice it needs, I'd say leave the cap for now.. Probably too much of a hassle to remove it..

Just keep in mind, in general caps don't do alot of good. They have specific uses but most people think they can generate power and let them avoid upgrading an alternator which usually leads to alternator melt down.. If your system is running like it should, you won't get any real use from a cap.. If it's not running like it should, upgrade the alternator..

Hope that helps..

Geminidj2000 is offline The Bad Luck Kid

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yeh if u have problems upgrade your alt.......... and the wires dont just upgrage your alt and not increase the ground wires and such (the mistake i made) I've herd mixed things about caps some say threy hurt some say they dont.... bit it probably does help during those bass spikes

1996 Ford Explorer
    H.U. Stock
    Front : stock
    Back: Stock
    Subs: 2 Image Dynamics IDMAX v3.
    Amp: Hifonics Hercules at 4 ohms (450 watts)

soon to come
    Kick Panles
    Clear corners
    Altezza Taillights
    200A Alternator
    componets

Primetime is offline Senior Hoopster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gemini, what do you hit with those 2 IDMAxs in the sealed box? I currently have one in a sealed box that is a lil bigger than yours. I am thinking of adding another lol.. have you ever been measured?

thanks
    Dave

BLAH!!!

Closed Thread