Closed Thread

Reload Thread: system for old truck

shanktank is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

system for old truck

alright well i'm a newbee to the whole audio scene especially for trucks. I have sort of "a beater truck" that my grandfather gave to me. Its an 87 nissan something or other nissan hardbody maybe? extended cab. Anways i drive this truck mainly to school and back and borrow my dad's mustang in the evenings. I would like an help into what a good system in a truck would be, what i would need amp/speakers/deck/ect... to make my truck something to be proud of. I want a loud good quality system that maybe isn't cheap but not no 10000 system or anything. Reasonable. Also i know this is an audio forum so i don't expect to get this answered but what could i do to make it look a little better? lower? if so how much... new rims? what kind? etc.. anyways thanks any help would be much appreciated.

shanktank

xjmadness is offline The beauty of green

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well what u willing to spend ? $2000? $ 3000?

well i dont think this is really the place to ask about exterior enhancement.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ok well i'm not really sure what i want to spend at this point i'm just basically trying to get an idea of what to spend and look for. How much would i have to spend to get a decent system? i was told by a future shop guy that for 2500 i could get a pretty **** good system. were talking canadian dollars here. Now is that about right? thats probably what i would be looking to spend.

shanktank

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey...

I personally have a 1986 nissan pickup truck (reg cab). This is what I personally got for myself.

The total cost ended up being like 1300-1500 dollars, without installation. Also, I went mainly for a 60/40 SQ/SPL system.

Vehicle: 86 Nissan Hardbody Pickup (Regular Cab)
    Headunit: Pioneer DEH-1400...I got this really cheap at the time...soon to be DEH-740MP
    Subs: 2 10" Elemental Designs K series (e10kd4)
    Components: Crystal CSc50c
    Sub Amp: JBL 1200.1
    Comp Amp: Pioneer GM-X364
    Enclosure: 2 Split Truck Boxes from partsexpress.com
    Installation: Free from friend mechanic who is teaching me

As far as making it look better...there is tons of stuff to do...

Lowering
    Paint job (my truck needs one because paint is chipping, lol)
    Neons
    Rims
    Decals
    Window Tints
    Custom Seating/pedals/shift knobs(if manual)
    TV's with DVD/Playstation
    Custom Head/Taillights
    The list is endless...

Personally, I plan on getting a new paintjob sometime next year after summer. I was planning on lowering it, but I thought to myself this...its mad expensive, and it's also my work truck, and I work on a rocky beach in the summer Plus, in about 2 years I'm buying my mom's 2001 toyota 4Runner . As far as what I have done to it, I have added neons to under it, neon and blacklight on the inside, and a playstation for the passenger, as well as adding custom knobs and pedals (neon)and a custom tail light (http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/EUR064120).

Good Luck...and Id post pics, but I haven't added the stuff yet, but Ill post when im done...

The cup is not half empty as pessimests say...

The Used

Alphafrog1 is offline PURDUE!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i have a 92 toyota pickup so i was in kinda the same boat as you...

I have a 15" RE XXX sub (AWSOME sub) in a custom built box, wiring, a PPI PCX-2350 amp, and a new alternator to power it all for around 2000. I can help you figure out a new system if you want.

Mark

In the process of building an enclosure for 2 12" Magnum D2's... should be fun :thumbsup

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    alright well i'm pretty well ready to buy now, so i need help quick.

I was very interested in your system poetic tragedy, any other comments on that setup? Just wondering if in a small truck like i have with the sub sitting right behind me if its necessary to get 2 subs or whatever. I've been told by a couple people that one 10" or one 12" would be better. any commments on that? Also i was wondering about the sony mk700 or something head unit. Its the one that the cd player thing actually comes out instead of having to stick the cd into the hole or opening. It was going for 500 (canadian if that makes a difference in pricing, not sure if it does or not) regular 600. What would the best subs be? I'm looking for a decent base but mainly sound quality here. How you like those elemental subs poetic? and for speakers i've been told to get 2 good front ones in a truck instead of 4 fairly good ones in the front and back. So whats considered the best speakers for around 250-400 $ mark. I was looking into the infinity or Rockford speakers been told their not bad. Basically i want to get the best system for a small truck with a sub (one 12", one 10", or possibly 2 10") based on mainly sound quality with a good thump and base sound as well, 2 front speakers, an amp for the speakers maybe, a seperate amp for the sub, and then a head unit. Hit me back with any suggestions. I want to spend anywhere between $1000 to probably max 2000.

shanktank

BigBoomer is offline Aka: Sgt. Slam

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    MtxThunder6000 10's or 12's as for the amp...Kenwood KAC-629s or 729s or bigger
    I currently hae that with the kac-629s and it sound pretty good

Subs: 2x Mtx Thunder 6000 12's
    Amp: 1x Kenwood Kac-629s 350w 2ch.
    The Rest ill just list the brand..i dont know the model #'s
    HU: Pioneer
    Fronts: Alpine
    Rears: Pioneer
    -------------------
    Ride: Ex. Cab Ford Ranger
    Brown. (yuck ) Auto trans.

Ideas on truck to get 3 years from now? No Chevy!
    -------------------
    T exas
    C ross
    C ountry
    R acing
    A ccociation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, the reason why I chose 2 10's is because I am a basshead, and they fit behind BOTH seats well. I wouldn't want a 12" behind the passenger seat and a 10" behind the driver's seat, Haha. Anyway, one 10" or 12" inch would work great for you...even an 8" to be honest (Depending on the company you choose). If you want a one sub setup for SQ and pretty good SQL, you could maybe try this setup...

Sub: One 12" elemental design K series driver...or even better an A series driver
    (12" A series 295.00 USD)
    (12" K series 135.00 USD)
    (10" K series 125.00 USD)
    from www.edesignaudio.com
    *Also, with either the 12" K or A sub, the box recommendation is 1.0 cuft, while the 10" K sub box recommends .5 cuft.

Amp: JBL 600.1 Mono Amp
    (195 shipped in USD)
    from www.ikesound.com

Wiring: 4 awg amp kit
    (37.00 USD shipped)
    from www.knukonceptz.com

Box: Build your own or search online for good sites (I made my own box)

As far as the component speakers for up front go, you were told right in my honest opinion. Rear speakers won't really be needed, especially in a small truck like ours. You could try many different kinds of components. Many people like these type of component speakers...Also, I can't remember what size your truck will allow to fit in the door. It will be 5 1/4 or 4". I didn't install my components, so I don't know if my door was shaved to make my speakers fit (friend from shop did the install as a gift) I got the crystal csc50s components (which are 5 1/4"). These components cost like 209.00 from sounddomain, but they have a deal now where you get like 70 dollars off, so it was like 139.00 for me (in USD).

Good Components:
    Crystal
    MB Quart
    CDT Audio
    Alpine

They will probably cost you like 140-300 in USD at most...depends on what you get, I personally recommend crystal though because they sound soooooo clear and they have excellent midbass. Although CDT's are nice too...

Lastly, you will need an amp to power the components because the sub amp (the JBL) is a class D amp, and is made specifically for subs because it is power efficient. You will need to have for example a class A amp for the components. I have a pioneer GM-X364 which is 70x2@4ohm. I got this because it was really cheap at the time from a friend. Anyway, the JBL P80.2 amp is a great match for the crystal components for 89.00 if you decide to go with them.

As far as car audio goes, I'd stay away from Sony. I would invest in a Pioneer headunit...such as the Pioneer DEH-P7400MP for 229.00 USD from ikesound.

Total cost in USD ends up being at most (if you get a K series driver)

135.00 12" K
    195.00 JBL 600.1
    140.00 crystal comps
    89.00 JBL 80.2 amp
    229.00 Pioneer HU
    50.00 Box (if you buy online)
    37.00 Wiring ( you may need to spend more for the component wiring)
    -------------------------------------
    1104.00 USD (At most add 150.00-200.00 for shipping, taxes, more wiring, etc)

If you have any more questions PM me and I'll be glad to help you out some more.

The Used

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hey alright well this is where i'm at basically:

Head Unit: Pioneer 7400/740/or 8400
    Speakers: I've looked around at a couple places and haven't found any crystal speakers yet but i am definetly considering them based on reviews and your advice. Basically the crystal c5c50c would be the ruit i'd wan't to go. I've got 5 1'4 factory speakers right now and want to keep it that way. Or i was considering infinity's, jbl gto505c, or mb quart premium psd 213.

Sub Woofer: This is where it gets complicated for me, i've been recommended so many different things from 8" speakers to 15". 2 speakers to one and many different price ranges. I think i'm leaning towards the 2 10" elemental or the one 12", the infinity kappa, infinity reference, kicker L7's,or pioneer premiers. I don't know if their out yet but i've heard rave reviews on the resonant engineering re 8" subs. Any opinions on any of those would be awesome. Also based on your experience would you still keep the two 10's or would you go for one 12"? still going back and forth with that.

Amp: For the amp i'm pretty confident with the jbl 1200.1 and the jbl p80.2 from what i've heard that would match any kind of speaker/subwoofer pretty good and jbl's always good quality.

Box: As for the box i basically want as little as possible and not really sure to look. I've heard customizing is a good way to go although it does get pricey which i'm not looking for. I've heard of these truck boxes and not sure what the difference is, but i'm putting it right behind in the regular cab or whatever and i still if possible wanted to be able to use my two folding seats to bring people in.

Anyways thanks for all the help so far i hope to get this wrapped up and quit bugging you soon.

shanktank

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You can find the crystals at sounddomain.com under the component sets. Crystals are great. I have the 2002 version of the eD 10" subs, and quite honestly I love them to death. eD is letting out the 2003 series right now, and they are quite an improvement on the 2002 series! I think that if you go the 2 sub route, you should try 2 10" eD, unless you are more set towards another company...either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy what you get. Kicker L7's are nice, but remember, those are kind of big. If you choose, infinity, don't get the reference, they aren't too good. The Kappa's are nice, but it takes a lot to make them sound good (as far as giving them power). eD will definately be better than the Kappa IMO. As for a box, it can be a bit hard, especially for us truck owners with the limited space. I can't really tell you of a site because I didn't really look around, I just made mine. Measure the amount of room you can give up, and remember, you have an extended cab, so you have more to give than I did. I lost 8 inches of space behind my driving seat, but I'm an average size guy, so it wasn't too bad. You have so many options its hard to choose (I went through the same situation when I had to pick my setup). Anyway, good luck and don't worry about bothering me, its all good.

If you have any more questions, give me a holla.

The Used

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    alright i'm almost ready, just a couple of last questions. With the pioneer head units what's the difference between the 7400 and 740 and whats better. I'm leaning towards those two unless i can find a really good deal on the 8400.

With the subwoofer i've pretty well decided on the elemental 1 or 2 10" elemental k series. or 1 elemental A series sub. Or i'm considering the 10" pioneer premier TSW2541DVC subs just because of the reviews and someone i know that might be able to get me them cheap. I'm going to take a look in a couple of shops arond for the elementals, i would really like to buy in a local audio shop rather then online.

For speakers i'm leaning towards the CSC50S that i figured i could get for something like 325.00 cdn dollars, i was wondering what the difference between those and the CSC50T. Says something about titanium dome something instead of the silk dome with the CSC50S, whats better? or whats the i difference. I was also considering the JBL GTO505C.

for the amp i was told by you the JBL1200.1 before and now the JBL600.1 will i get better sound quality with the 1200.1, do i need that for say 2 10" or 1 12" of the subs i listed above. And then i was thinking of going for the jbl P80.2 or the pioneer gm-x364 or x362. What would be the best combination for what i'm looking for? i think their both around the same price with the x364 being a bit more.

As for a box i'm just going to shop around through some of the audio shops and see what they have to say about fit for my truck and such. Any comments on all of this would be great almost ready to get it though!

shanktank

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i think the 740 has a motorized moving something or other whereas the 7400 doesn't?

shanktank

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hello?

shanktank

Closed Thread